• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What should be given because of ancestral claims?

What should be given because of ancestral claims?

• Country/ plot of land should be given to those who claim their ancestors once lived there.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Money should be given to those who claim their ancestors were enslaved,killed, robbed and etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
That's not entirely true. With regards to the Native Americans, the U.S. government has signed treaties with them, but have constantly reneged on those treaties. So while countries aren't guilty of anything, governments are.

Yea I understand that but what are we going to do, try to fix every broken promise from the past?
The American Indians should get some more support but at the same time they are supposed to be a sovereign nation.

I have a legitimate ancestral grievance of the government.

My great grandfather lost $10k + 2 homes at the beginning of the Great Depression because of the Feds actions of contracting the money supply and not doing their duty as lender of last resort.

What are my chances of making a claim on that money and getting it?
None.

It's time to move on folks, there is a whole world of opportunity out there.
Crying about spilled milk isn't productive.

The Indians broke many of those treaties as well. Try not to paint this a one-sided, because it isn't by a long shot.
They are not, never were, "Indians".
In truth, it was 90% one-sided.
We came ,saw, conquered, the natives had no chance..
We had the gall to call them "savages", we were the savages.
But, that was then, this is now.
No apologies.
I generally agree with Samsmart.

Absolutely, positively nothing. Just because your ancestors lived on a piece of land doesn't mean that land is yours. I can't go back to the places my ancestors have ever lived and demand that it's now my land, that's ridiculous. Besides, just because your people controlled it once doesn't mean they still have any control over it. They likely lost it fair and square, now go find your own land.

We recent "immigrants" tried to make life easier for native Americans, but their culture doesn't seem to value education. I have worked with a few who are between a white man rock and a native american hard place. Their families don't understand them when they leave the reservation, go to college, and work the white man's jobs....

The Indians broke many of those treaties as well. Try not to paint this a one-sided, because it isn't by a long shot.

I understand that the Native Americans aren't totally innocent in the conflict they had with the U.S. government. However, most of the malice resides with the U.S. government. For one, the government, and especially the American people, did not differentiate very much between the different tribes. So if one tribe kept to a treaty, but another tribe broke it, the government would ry to punish both tribes. So with regards to that, the attempts of the U.S. government to deal with tribes individually could have been better and more nuanced.

Back
Top Bottom