• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit to?

What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit to?

• Total voters

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
What should be legal for an employer to have an employee or potential employee submit to?

1. Drug tests
2. Credit checks
3. microchip implants
4. perform sexual acts for job and or promotion
5. Criminal background checks
6. DNA tests
7. wiretapping of employee's personal phones or other communication devices
8. ankle bracelets on 24 hours a day to track where the employee goes.
9. A search of personal property of the employee's home.
10. other

Most people would agree that some of these options have nothing to do with the job. For example you own a bank then you do not want a former bank robber to work there,unless as a consultant. If you run a daycare then you do not want chester the child molester to work there. If you own a business where employees will be handling dangerous equipment you may not want a junkie. Some would argue that its their business they should be able to make an employee or applicant do what ever they want.

Last edited:
Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

Drug tests
Credit checks
Criminal background checks
Sexual favors in order to be hired or get promotions

Last edited:
Re: What should an employer be able to have an employee or potential employee submit

The only thing I care about is a criminal background check. Once I pay you, I don't care what you do with the money so I don't care about your credit, I don't care what you do with your body away from work (just don't do it at work), and I don't care what you do or where you go.

I do care if you have a history of violent crime or sexual misconduct in a criminal way. Barring that, whatever. Do your job and we will get along fine.

The only thing I care about is a criminal background check. Once I pay you, I don't care what you do with the money so I don't care about your credit, I don't care what you do with your body away from work (just don't do it at work), and I don't care what you do or where you go.

I do care if you have a history of violent crime or sexual misconduct in a criminal way. Barring that, whatever. Do your job and we will get along fine.

The world needs more people with this line of thought.

Not this topic AGAIN. :roll:
Employers should have NO right to check ANYTHING. All they should be concerned about is if the employee does the job as asked. If not then fire them. PERIOD. If they break the law... they go to jail AND they are fired.
Regarding criminal checks.... if they arent in jail then they should not be discriminated against.
You going to NOT hire Charlie Sheen or Keifer Sutherland or Robert Downey because of their criminal past?
You COULD based on their misdemeanors and felonys. But you would be a jackass.

Although.... I did vote for the sax acts :2razz: *giggle*

Last edited:

Not this topic AGAIN. :roll:
Employers should have NO right to check ANYTHING. All they should be concerned about is if the employee does the job as asked. If not then fire them. PERIOD. If they break the law... they go to jail AND they are fired.
Regarding criminal checks.... if they arent in jail then they should not be discriminated against.
You going to NOT hire Charlie Sheen or Keifer Sutherland or Robert Downey because of their criminal past?
You COULD based on their misdemeanors and felonys. But you would be a jackass.

No, I wouldn't hire either one if they have a history of violent crime or sexual misconduct that brought criminal charges. It's a liability to my organization to have someone with that poor of judgment.

No, I wouldn't hire either one if they have a history of violent crime or sexual misconduct that brought criminal charges. It's a liability to my organization to have someone with that poor of judgment.

No its not.

No its not.

Actually, if a daycare hires a criminal pedophile, it is their liability and the company/organization can be sued for negligence. Frankly, all employer needs to track criminal history and at least test for drugs. for example, employers should check for drugs for jobs where people can place others in danger such a deliver person and criminal history so a bank doesn't employ a bank robber. Each of these things can make insurance for the company skyrocket.

Last edited:

Actually, if a daycare hires a criminal pedophile, it is their liability and the company/organization can be sued for negligence. Frankly, all employer needs to track criminal history and at least test for drugs. for example, employers should check for drugs for jobs where people can place others in danger such a deliver person and criminal history so a bank doesn't employ a bank robber. Each of these things can make insurance for the company skyrocket.

Someone like that guy with his insistence that I don't have any right to withhold my job opportunity in exchange for some upfront assurance will make me want to mark every box HR has for any kind of check under the sun. When they act like they have something to hide, they usually do.

The only things they should be allowed to check are drug tests and criminal background checks. And even then only under certain circumstances. Those things aren't relevant for every job.

The only things they should be allowed to check are drug tests and criminal background checks. And even then only under certain circumstances. Those things aren't relevant for every job.

The criminal background check is relevant for ANY situation where you permit this person into your business, around your other employees, and contact with your clients.

I put other as well. For things like firemen or handlers at the FedEx main hub, performance testing is necessary to see if the person can do the job. There is no point in doing the HR paperwork if you can't at least carry 75 pounds routinely at the FedEx hub. You would be surprised at how many think they can and cant.

Last edited:

When they act like they have something to hide, they usually do.

Again with this "nothing to hide" bull****.

THERE

IS

NO

SUCH

THING.

How in the world is such a state of mind possible, or logically achievable if concepts like secrets and privacy - used for good AND bad - exists?

Again with this "nothing to hide" bull****.

THERE

IS

NO

SUCH

THING.

How in the world is such a state of mind possible, or logically achievable if concepts like secrets and privacy - used for good AND bad - exists?

What

Have

You

Been

Smoking

And can I have some?

Drug tests
Credit checks
Criminal background checks

For most jobs but for the other choices it would have to be relevant to the job.

I say drug tests and criminal background checks. I think it can vary depending on the industry you are going into.

All of the above. I'm firmly of the mindset that a potential employer can ask whatever they want of an employee, and the employee has every freedom to do what they're asked or find work elsewhere.

Personally, I don't see that there's much value in most of the **** listed up there, but if an employer finds value in it, that's their decision. And it's a potential employee's decision to agree to said terms, or not.

No its not.

As noted above, yes it is.

If a club hired an ex-violent felon to be a bouncer and he ends up breaking some guy's arm, that club is ****ed twelve ways from tuesday.

Criminal background checks, but only for certain jobs.

Whatever the potential employee is willing to subject himself to for the job.

IMO denying someone for bad credit seems bass ackwards to me, I mean how are they to pay their debts? Your credit rating should only be a consideration when applying for more debt.

Drug tests for athletes, people who operate heavy machinery, and healthcare providers I can understand.

My take on this issue is
1. Criminal Check if it is relevant for the job. I don't want previous sex offenders to work in kindergardens.

2. Drug tests if it is relevant for the job and employer want to check if they are still using drugs.

3. Normal stuff, like CV, refrences that we all take for granted.

All of the others are pretty much riddiculus. It's much more important that employers can fire people, especially in the begining. I don't understand progressives who think it should be nearly impossible to fire people. It will only hurt the american firms and people outside the labour market.

The only one that I think an employer should be able to check regardless of the type of job is the employee's criminal record. That could be an issue for nearly ANY type of job. I'm also OK with drug tests or credit checks if (and only if) they're related to the actual job. For example, you might not want to hire a truck driver who is addicted to drugs, or a finance professional with poor credit.

Criminal background check (especially in positions dealing with children and women) and potentially drugs depending on the position applied for.

The worst thing I make any of my employees submit to is a general lack of management on my part.

It drives one of them nuts that I don't tell them what to do often enough.

Back
Top Bottom