• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What#s killing white American middle-aged women?

Infinite Chaos

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
~ The rich world has got used to health and longevity getting better, and death rates falling for everyone. But over the past few years, data has been accumulating which suggests that this trend has stopped for poorly-educated, white Americans.
And for one group in particular - middle-aged women - death rates are going up. Link ~

The headline is not mine: a worrying trend for America to come to terms with. The trend was first discovered in 2008 and has not stopped - what does America need to do to deal with this?

Teach people how to live healthier.

The headline is not mine: a worrying trend for America to come to terms with. The trend was first discovered in 2008 and has not stopped - what does America need to do to deal with this?

Yes. I read about that and had made a note of looking at the studies. I haven't had enough time yet. From what I can make of it, the causes are seemingly unclear as of yet, as there seem to be many that are at work. This would correspond to similar phenomena I had read up on. But, if you see something on this, do post it.

Yes. That was, what was the cause of the most deaths among Russian males, when their mortality numbers exploded after overthrowing the Soviet. But it is usually more complicated than that implies and rests on a societal system gone wrong.

stress.

People are working longer, working harder, and have more economic stress than they have for decades. This is particularly hard on women since women have recently entered the workforce (which caused their health statistics to catch up to males over the last 30 years). And because women have become more and more primary bread winners and have to juggle home care duties with work.. and they still get paid less.

stress.

People are working longer, working harder, and have more economic stress than they have for decades. This is particularly hard on women since women have recently entered the workforce (which caused their health statistics to catch up to males over the last 30 years). And because women have become more and more primary bread winners and have to juggle home care duties with work.. and they still get paid less.

I agree that stress is a killer. I also believe the foods we eat, especially sugar and GMOs are killing us. I've began looking into cancer free diets.

I read an article that stated when your body can't process and digest foods successfully, they are turned into lipids. I live in Texas and Charles Barkley was right about San Antonio women in general. They are fat.

Μολὼν λαβέ;1065859669 said:
I agree that stress is a killer. I also believe the foods we eat, especially sugar and GMOs are killing us. I've began looking into cancer free diets.

I read an article that stated when your body can't process and digest foods successfully, they are turned into lipids. I live in Texas and Charles Barkley was right about San Antonio women in general. They are fat.

Just to point out.. the GMO's are not killing us. at least not directly. the worry over the safety of GMO's is severely overrated. Especially when you consider the other practices like adding antibiotics in feed, or hormones, or spraying for bugs and weeds that non GMO foods go through.

The real problem with GMO's is who gets control of the food supply .

But obesity is a real problem in America. We have actually switched. to a point where you can tell a rich person by how thin they are and a poor person by how fat they are.

Just to point out.. the GMO's are not killing us. at least not directly. the worry over the safety of GMO's is severely overrated. Especially when you consider the other practices like adding antibiotics in feed, or hormones, or spraying for bugs and weeds that non GMO foods go through.

The real problem with GMO's is who gets control of the food supply .

But obesity is a real problem in America. We have actually switched. to a point where you can tell a rich person by how thin they are and a poor person by how fat they are.

I don't buy that argument. One reason people are fatter is because of GMO grains in breads/cereals etc. If your body can't process/digest the genetically modified organisms the human body turns it into fat.

This is just one of thousands of articles on the subject.

GMO Facts | The Non-GMO Project

2008???

Then it's Obama's fault! Thanks Obama! ;)

so from the article it would seem that it is due to socio-economic reasons because the women seem to be dying due to alcoholism, drug abuse, and suicide

people of my generation did not have the rich life growing up that these kids have today but as the article points out we had strong social structures...my dad was white collar but we lived in a mixed community, side by side, factory and management, us kids all hung together we knew we would have good lives because there were possibilities for education, we had health care, we lived in safe communities with unlocked doors

take hope away from people and it results in drug abuse, crime, and early death

lots of people seem okay with that as long as they have theirs

so from the article it would seem that it is due to socio-economic reasons because the women seem to be dying due to alcoholism, drug abuse, and suicide

people of my generation did not have the rich life growing up that these kids have today but as the article points out we had strong social structures...my dad was white collar but we lived in a mixed community, side by side, factory and management, us kids all hung together we knew we would have good lives because there were possibilities for education, we had health care, we lived in safe communities with unlocked doors

take hope away from people and it results in drug abuse, crime, and early death

lots of people seem okay with that as long as they have theirs

I didn't see any but the obvious indices were measured. So we know that the cohort did badly and that it looks like an social epidemic. But what we do not see are enough indices to estimate the causes. Were they divorced? Had abortions? Come from slum or middle class households? Etc etc. We will have to wait to see.

I didn't see any but the obvious indices were measured. So we know that the cohort did badly and that it looks like an social epidemic. But what we do not see are enough indices to estimate the causes. Were they divorced? Had abortions? Come from slum or middle class households? Etc etc. We will have to wait to see.

to me it was quite clear and held zero surprises:

"The importance of place in terms of life expectancy and survival is one of the most interesting features of this study. It really shows that even at the same level of low income, you're better off in a more affluent, better-resourced community.

"That really points to the value of the other kinds of resources and opportunities that are available to you in these communities, in terms of the quality of the schools, the financial base, the tax base on which so many of our shared resources depend.

"My colleagues and I looked into the data and really started to dig into what's happening among white women, and we noted that we were seeing in particular a spike in women of both child-bearing and child-rearing years, and that the specific causes of death that seemed to be driving that were drug-related overdoses, cirrhosis of the liver, suicide, and similar types of causes.

poverty and lack of hope

I would need to see some science before I claimed this as fact, but it is pretty clear that increased drinking and drug use is the major cause.

to me it was quite clear and held zero surprises:

poverty and lack of hope

Those certainly do not make the girls happy. But for a remedy it would require a closer look at a data set expanded by a number of variables.

Μολὼν λαβέ;1065864917 said:
I don't buy that argument. One reason people are fatter is because of GMO grains in breads/cereals etc. If your body can't process/digest the genetically modified organisms the human body turns it into fat.

This is just one of thousands of articles on the subject.

GMO Facts | The Non-GMO Project

Sorry but if the body cannot process or digest any food.. it then eliminates it as waste. It can't turn undigested food "into fat".

Back
Top Bottom