• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What roles does each gender play in society?

Gender roles? There are none. There use to be - but not anymore. (natural roles and differences of the sexes are NOT the same as gender-roles which society upholds or instills, etc)

But status roles - yes - there are plenty. . .and they are important. (as in: role of the parent, role of the teacher, role of the student, role of the government officials . . . etc).

Last edited:
Every child receives their imprint of what a man is and what a woman is from the first man and woman they have a close connection with. Children learn what a man is from the father and they learn what a woman is from the mother. Parenting from only one gender leaves a gap regarding how that child perceives the other gender.

I would say that logic is a bit faulty. I've met mothers who are so career oriented that they are nothing like the female gender role and fathers who are so nurturing that they are nothing like the male gender role. Furthermore, children are exposed to more people than just their mother and father and so perceptions about gender could be quite varied and complex. I would say that peer groups do more to enforce gender roles than parents do by far.

Not at all. The more information we have about gender differences the more likely were are to embrace them as facts.

I disagree. The more we study gender, the more we find it isn't based on biology, but on social adaptions to environmental conditions. There will always exist gender roles to a degree, as it is easier for women who have the portable food supply attached to their chest to stay home and take care of the kids, but such differences are minute compared ot the modern environmental demands which require two incomees for families to get by.

Men generally give sex, woman generally receive it, there are exceptions of course, just like all things, but most people throw out exceptions when sampling large groups.

Look all you people are simply making a mountain out of a mole hill. Because we cannot define the gender role with specificity, other than our own experiences, doesn't mean that some characteristics can't be applied to large broad samples, and accepted as correlative enough to answer the OP's question.

The answer is, that there are no specific causative understanding for what any particular role may be, but that they simply be, is enough to form a conclusion, with the conclusion having a great deal of truth elements.

Tim-

Abstractions are not justifications for policies. As long as people like yourself argue that the state has an interest in mandating gender roles in institutions like marriage, it becomes very important to understand what place gender roles have in society; if any. There is a serious failure for your side to articulate a rational or evidential argument for why gender roles are important to society, especially given the trends of our modern society. If you continue to argue with fuzzy logic, you will lose in the long run, so I suggest you look to articulate a coherent and specific argument as to the continued justification for gender roles in society.

Last edited:
Abstractions are not justifications for policies. As long as people like yourself argue that the state has an interest in mandating gender roles in institutions like marriage, it becomes very important to understand what place gender roles have in society; if any. There is a serious failure for your side to articulate a rational or evidential argument for why gender roles are important to society, especially given the trends of our modern society. If you continue to argue with fuzzy logic, you will lose in the long run, so I suggest you look to articulate a coherent and specific argument as to the continued justification for gender roles in society.

There are roles in institutions such as marriage though. They play a huge role, and it is why gays are lacking in that department. If you want to argue that gays are equal too, or supperior to heterosexual marriage, then make your case, but make it using the broad sample of heterosexuals, and homosexuals, in terms that reflect the pressumption of instrinsic value to society, not the exception.

Tim-

You argue abstractions, CT. I have already said that gender roles are circumstantial. In the circumstance of marriage, and procreation, they are pretty well defined. You may not like it, but it is what it is, cowboy..

Tim-

You argue abstractions, CT. I have already said that gender roles are circumstantial. In the circumstance of marriage, and procreation, they are pretty well defined. You may not like it, but it is what it is, cowboy..

Tim-

IN the circumstances of procreation and childbirth, they are biologically defined. In the rest, they're individually defined by the individuals involved in the marriage. There is no role, aside from the purely biological roles, that can't be played by either male/female equally well.

IN the circumstances of procreation and childbirth, they are biologically defined. In the rest, they're individually defined by the individuals involved in the marriage. There is no role, aside from the purely biological roles, that can't be played by either male/female equally well.

So, let me see now if I have this right. Our biology, and physiology is what defines our gender role in procreation, and childbirth? But, our biology is independant of our psychology, and our identity, in all other aspects of life, and how we play out our gender role? Can you confirm this is what you're saying?

Just want to give you the benefit there. You're welcome. :)

Tim-

Women's roles should be as doctors, lawyers, engineers, scientists, teachers, accountants, laborers, clerks, contractors, researchers, chefs, entertainers, investors, giving birth to children and raising children.

Men's roles, on the other hand, should be as doctors, lawyers, engineers, scientists, teachers, accountants, laborers, clerks, contractors, researchers, chefs, entertainers, investors, providing seed and raising children.

or something else entirely if either chooses.

But, our biology is independant of our psychology, and our identity, in all other aspects of life, and how we play out our gender role?
Tim-
Are you suggesting that women are psychologically predisposed to be house cleaners? Please. Feel free to substantiate this interesting view.

I've asked this question before in a different way, and I was met with pretty much no rational response. However, given the recent Prop 8 decision in which Walker concluded that the state had no interest in mandating gender roles in marriage, I wanted to give people one more shot. This thread is not about sexual orientation or gay marriage. Once you get through all the rhetoric and fallacies, the question of those issues ultimately comes down to the roles that each gender is suppose to play in society.

This thread is simply to ask what roles men serve that women can't serve and what roles that women serve that men can't serve? You can extend the question to the family. What can a mother offer a child that a father cannot and what can a father offer a child that a mother cannot?
There is a big difference between "society" and "family / community" and it sounds like your question doesn't make a distinction.

A free society is a product of freedom and Liberty. A broken society is a product of the absence of freedom and Liberty.

A family is a small community of people either genetically, legally or emotionally bonded together. A community is a close-knit group that has a similar bond of neighborly love.

But freedom to express ideas or behaviors you don't like doesn't break the bonds of a family. Men and woman play whatever role is necessary for the human race to continue.

Honestly, good people can come from bad homes and vice versa. In the end, we are all responsible for ourselves and shouldn't point fingers at "society"

Last edited:
So, let me see now if I have this right. Our biology, and physiology is what defines our gender role in procreation, and childbirth? But, our biology is independant of our psychology, and our identity, in all other aspects of life, and how we play out our gender role? Can you confirm this is what you're saying?

I think you've just about got it! The only gender roles that human physiology dictates are those of procreation. In the future, who knows(?), maybe not even those.

Back
Top Bottom