• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

what republicans want in exchange for raising the debt ceiling

Unitedwestand13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
this is apparently a list of policys that republicans want enacted in exchange for raising the debt ceiling

House Republicans have planned for weeks now to try to avert a government shutdown by promising their members an epic fight over the debt ceiling. Yesterday they began circulating their initial ransom list of demands that President Obama and Senate Democrats must meet or else watch the world economy melt down. It is, uh, rather extensive, and really needs to be read in full to appreciate its megalomaniacal ambition:

One Year Debt Limit Increase

• Not a dollar amount increase, but suspending the debt limit until the end of December 2014.

Similar to what we did earlier this year.

• Want the year long to align with the year delay of Obamacare.

One Year Obamacare delay

Tax Reform Instructions

• Similar to a bill we passed last fall, laying out broad from Ryan Budget principles for what tax reform should look like.

• Gives fast track authority for tax reform legislation

Energy and regulatory reforms to promote economic growth

• Includes pretty much every jobs bill we have passed this year and last Congress

• All of these policies have important positive economic effects.

• Energy provisions

Keystone Pipeline

Coal Ash regulations

Offshore drilling

Energy production on federal lands

EPA Carbon regulations

• Regulatory reform

REINS Act

Regulatory process reform

Consent decree reform

Blocking Net Neutrality

Mandatory Spending Reforms

• Mostly from the sequester replacement bills we passed last year

• Federal Employee retirement reform

• Ending the Dodd Frank bailout fund

• Transitioning CFPB funding to Appropriations

• Child Tax Credit Reform to prevent fraud

• Repealing the Social Services Block grant

Health Spending Reforms

• Means testing Medicare

• Repealing a Medicaid Provider tax gimmick

• Tort reform

• Altering Disproportion Share Hospitals

• Repealing the Public Health trust Fund

Does that list sound vaguely familiar? It’s Mitt Romney’s 2012 economic plan. Almost word for word, in fact. True, Romney proposed to repeal Obamacare, while the House Republicans propose to delay it for a year. But the gambit there — extend the debt ceiling for a year while delaying Obamacare a year, so that the next debt ceiling hike lines up with another Obamacare delay — makes the two tactics essentially the same.

Republican Ransom Demand: Implement Romney Plan -- Daily Intelligencer

How is this reasonable. Republicans want obama to essentially enact the policys that Mitt Romney planned to implement if he won the 2012 election. Don't elections count for anything? Romney Lost! Romneys economic Plan was rejected at the ballot box! Obama beat romney.

Why are republicans trying to force Romney economic plan on the American people, even though it was beaten at the ballot box when obama won reelection?

And in case anyone thinks this is too incredable to be true, here is the breif that the article mentions

http://c9.nrostatic.com/sites/default/files/20130926_Debt_Limit_Brief.pdf

Last edited:
And what are the Democrats getting in return?

only getting the debt ceiling raised and preventing a government shutdown.

AKA nothing. The GOP is going to offer nothing and then go screech to their constituents that they really tried to negotiate in good faith with the Democrats but that darn Obama just wont cooperate.

They'll buy it, too.

Obamacare is the law and it goes into effect regardless if the debt ceiling is raised or not and even if the government shuts down.

The Republicans are playing a game that they have already lost.

It would be hard to find a party more irresponsible in the history of the US.

The only thing even close to this 'hostage situation' is when the South threatened to secede from the US if Lincoln won the election.

We should have let them go. If fifty years, they would have been begging to come back to the Union.

Well, good to see they're not demanding too much. :roll:

America does not negotiate with terrorist which is exactly what Obama should call these loons. What does he have to lose other than telling the truth. How many times did they raise it for Reagan, Bush 1, and Bush 2. I give you a hint every goddamn time they asked for it. They have one Senator (if you can call him that) comparing things to Nazi Germany. Well lets call it what it is. Republicans are the Nazi's. They blame the poor, woman, minorities, other religions as the problems in this country. Just like those monsters in the 1940. God help us if they get control again. They are so big calling out death panels. Hell they will bring back death camps. The truth hurts doesn't Republicans. You all bowed down to the racist, bible thumpers, birthers, and anyone else thinking it would win the election, well guess what you didn't.

Republicans ran on this exact platform a year ago and lost by 5 million votes.

I say to hell with them.

America does not negotiate with terrorist which is exactly what Obama should call these loons.

Well, considering the company 0bama keeps, and the countries he seems to be bending over the table for, perhaps it is 0bama who is the terrorist. In that case, I'm glad the GOP isn't negotiating with that terrorist.

Well, considering the company 0bama keeps, and the countries he seems to be bending over the table for, perhaps it is 0bama who is the terrorist. In that case, I'm glad the GOP isn't negotiating with that terrorist.

Me too. All that gerrymandering should have saved them the House, but they're putting the ball in the Democrats' court for some reason.

The political right wants to win. Not necessarily right here and right now. I don't know where they get the idea that they're allowed to win, but it does look as if that's what they're after. I know it's crazy, but there it is.

The political right wants to win. Not necessarily right here and right now. I don't know where they get the idea that they're allowed to win, but it does look as if that's what they're after. I know it's crazy, but there it is.

I dont think they know what a 'win' looks like. Or maybe they define 'win' some other way than most of us would recognize.

Governments are running jokes in general.

But the American Government is the crown jewel of comedy....

Having said that... it would be alot funnier if it wasnt for partisans in congress with the same intelligence as many partisans on this board werent holding my livelihood hostage.

You cannot expect conciliation between opposing groups by refusing to lead. Obama, surrounded by elitist academics, simply doesn't have enough experience to know what to do. So, he leads by hiding on the sidelines and shrieking insults at everybody else, hoping someone will step in to take charge in his shameful absence.

I dont think they know what a 'win' looks like. Or maybe they define 'win' some other way than most of us would recognize.
Anything is possible. The left just went through this a few years back.

Back
Top Bottom