• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What percentage of Americans want a theocracy?

What percentage of Americans want a theocracy?

• Less than 1%

• 1-5%

• 5-10%

• 10-20%

• 20-30%

• 30-40%

• 40-50%

• 50-60%

• 60-70%

• 70%+

Results are only viewable after voting.

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right

theocracy

political system

theocracy, government by divine guidance or by officials who are regarded as divinely guided. In many theocracies, government leaders are members of the clergy, and the state’s legal system is based on religious law. Theocratic rule was typical of early civilizations. The Enlightenment marked the end of theocracy in most Western countries. Contemporary examples of theocracies include Saudi Arabia, Iran, and the Vatican. See also church and state; sacred kingship.

How many Americans, would you say, want to abolish what the Founders began and put priests/preachers/reverends and religious laws in place? Please vote and cite any evidence to support your opinion.

Also -- if America ever did become a theocracy, what would have to occur to make that happen? Would you fight back against it or support it or be neutral? What laws do you think would be removed/added? Would we still vote? What would schools look like?

Well, this might be unfair of me, but I'd say that about half of the Trump supporters wouldn't mind his being in office for the rest of his lifetime. I'm basing this on how some of my conservative friends have flat-out told me that.

So, if we say that half the country is conservative and a two thirds of them like Trump, and half of them think he should be our "king," then that would mean . . . let's see . . . roughly 17% of the country want him to be King Donald the First. So, I'll answer the poll that way.

EDIT--I misunderstood the question! I thought we were talking about an autocracy! My apologies! Please ignore this stupid post! I need to learn how to read!

Last edited:
the poll is worded incorrectly. it should be something like "What percentage of Americans would admit that they want some type of theocracy in the name of their own religion?"

I'm a practicing Christian, so I cant speak for other religions, but for Christians it goes against God to desire a theocracy.

God gave us all free will to choose to follow Him or not. So 'man's law' forcing people to do so would be denying God's Will.

It's the ultimate arrogance, intended usurpation of God's Authority. It would be an enormous sin. God intended His Children to follow Him by choice, not force.

I'm a practicing Christian, so I cant speak for other religions, but for Christians it goes against God to desire a theocracy.

God gave us all free will to choose to follow Him or not. So 'man's law' forcing people to do so would be denying God's Will.

It's the ultimate arrogance, intended usurpation of God's Authority. It would be an enormous sin. God intended His Children to follow Him by choice, not force.
Atheist in America want to force a theocracy. Freedom from religion, freedom from responsibility.......

I'm voting 10-20%. No evidence just based on some of the posts I see here and elsewhere.
I'll agree with those numbers. I suspect a significant percentage of Trump supporters would be okay with it, provided it was a theocracy that aligned with their Protestant/Evangelical beliefs.

theocracy

political system

theocracy, government by divine guidance or by officials who are regarded as divinely guided. In many theocracies, government leaders are members of the clergy, and the state’s legal system is based on religious law. Theocratic rule was typical of early civilizations. The Enlightenment marked the end of theocracy in most Western countries. Contemporary examples of theocracies include Saudi Arabia, Iran, and the Vatican. See also church and state; sacred kingship.

How many Americans, would you say, want to abolish what the Founders began and put priests/preachers/reverends and religious laws in place? Please vote and cite any evidence to support your opinion.

Also -- if America ever did become a theocracy, what would have to occur to make that happen? Would you fight back against it or support it or be neutral? What laws do you think would be removed/added? Would we still vote? What would schools look like

The number is 15%

I started a thread that started with and have since done quite a bit of research on. I do some volunteer work so the knowledge is helpful, I do sort of have a life. Sorry, not directly on topic

but objectively the percentage is 15. It goes up or down 3% depending on which way the wind is blowing, but this number hasn't changed since 1980.

I'm voting 10-20%. No evidence just based on some of the posts I see here and elsewhere.
I agree, for the same reason. And frankly, that's a frightening threat to our democracy that 40-80 million Americans are in favor of such a thing.

My guess was 10-20%, but that is likely on the high side for total theocratic control. Many seem to wish for more laws requiring adherence to theocratic social “norms”, but I doubt that they want to abolish the US military or criminal justice systems or place them under the control of preachers.

I'll agree with those numbers. I suspect a significant percentage of Trump supporters would be okay with it, provided it was a theocracy that aligned with their Protestant/Evangelical beliefs.

Certainly not if it was Muslim

I agree, for the same reason. And frankly, that's a frightening threat to our democracy that 40-80 million Americans are in favor of such a thing.
The same 40-80 mil cry fowl over the idea of Sharia law.

theocracy

I could not tell you, but I sure as "hell" don't.

Also -- if America ever did become a theocracy, what would have to occur to make that happen?

The ACTUAL "Second Coming?" I don't even want to speculate.

Would you fight back against it or support it or be neutral? What laws do you think would be removed/added? Would we still vote? What would schools look like?

I would fight it as I would against a fascist, communist, or any other "one idea to rule them all" State.

Again as for the other questions, it would literally be over my dead body, so I won't speculate.

Last edited:
Anti Religion has become a religion for many. If you are not sufficiently WOKE you are guilty of apostasy.

And yet your nonsensical post was a response to a practicing Christian.

:unsure: :rolleyes:

Atheist in America want to force a theocracy. Freedom from religion, freedom from responsibility.......
That doesn't even make sense. Freedom from religion is not theocracy.

And what on earth gave you the idea that atheists want freedom from responsibility?

I think around 5%, probably. I almost picked the one below that. I think the people who want a theocracy are either dumb dumbs who don't understand what exactly that means or they're fanatical religious people who want everyone to follow their God or else.

I think around 5%, probably. I almost picked the one below that. I think the people who want a theocracy are either dumb dumbs who don't understand what exactly that means or they're fanatical religious people who want everyone to follow their God or else.

There's a shitload of those people in the US. There are many here on this forum. There are many (in general and on the forum) that convolute their religion to hate others, be intolerant of others, to discriminate against others. Just for an example. And there are quotes in the Bible that have been used to support racism...just see the debates re: Loving v VA.

There's a shitload of those people in the US. There are many here on this forum. There are many (in general and on the forum) that convolute their religion to hate others, be intolerant of others, to discriminate against others. Just for an example. And there are quotes in the Bible that have been used to support racism...just see the debates re: Loving v VA.
A lot of people worship their culture and mistake that culture for Jesus.

Back
Top Bottom