• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What Per Cent of Human Behvior Convinces You We Are Animals?

rhinefire

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I hope to avoid religious responses here but in your lives' total sum of what you have been exposed to in terms of what you have witnessed of humans convinces you we are just animals or something greater or different?

What's so bad about being an animal? I prefer it over being a fungus. I think the problem lies in the idea of us being "just animals". We don't need to be better than other species to be cool with ourselves.

I hope to avoid religious responses here but in your lives' total sum of what you have been exposed to in terms of what you have witnessed of humans convinces you we are just animals or something greater or different?

Animal, noun;
A living organism that feeds on organic matter, typically having specialized sense organs and nervous system and able to respond rapidly to stimuli.

We are animals, by the definition of "animal". It's not a slight against us as a species; just because we are animals doesn't mean we should act like lower beasts. That we are animals doesn't mean anything; any connection between our moral systems and the natural laws of the lower beasts would be a Naturalistic fallacy. We are different from other animals solely in our intellectual capacity; if there was a lower animal that attained a comparable level of intelligence to human kind, that specimen would no longer be a lower animal. The converse is true, aswell; if people act like beasts, they should be judged on their actions.

Umm 100%... We are mammals after all. Nothing wrong with that. We is awesome animals

What else would we be?

Who here is a party animal?

... what you have witnessed of humans convinces you we are just animals or something greater or different?

We already know all animals have evolved from other animals, so we are animals by definition.

You probably load up the term "animal" to express some idea of yours that you can't express or define in any other way.

All mammals are animals. Humans are mammals. Therefore humans are animals.

We are different from other animals solely in our intellectual capacity; if there was a lower animal that attained a comparable level of intelligence to human kind, that specimen would no longer be a lower animal.
Some other animals such as orca, elephant and bottle-nosed dolphin may be more intelligent than humans.

What Percent of Human Behavior Convinces You We Are Animals?

one hundred percent. we are animals. we're primates with extremely well developed prefrontal cortexes; basically hopped up drag racing monkeys. we can go very fast, but sometimes we have a tough time steering.

Conduct doesn't make us animals: basic biology does. If we aren't animals, what are we? Plants? Bacteria?

Animal: a living organism that feeds on organic matter, typically having specialized sense organs and nervous system and able to respond rapidly to stimuli.

By definition we are just animals, nothing greater or different.

Odd though that you want to avoid religious responses yet ask a question that is only a question for religious people. What could be greater than a animal, we are already defined as animals. Its like asking if a hummingbird moth could be something greater than a insect. It may look different but it is still a insect.

A more honest question would have been: Why do religious people deny that humans are just animals? Though it should be narrowed down since some religions do not place humans on such high pedestals as religions like Christianity. To them we are created in gods image so being just a animal insults their god. But they never think about the fact that humans are not gods we are mortals just like all animals. But then they get all worked up about being more intelligent than other animals. Yet it takes a human years to live on their own unassisted by adults, when some animals do it from birth. I have seen puppies take care of human babies to a certain extent. Of course eventually the human will be smarter at least some of them. Some humans are too stupid to make it out of their childhood, they do something so stupid that they die.

What could we be if not animal???
Vegetable ??
Mineral??
We are 100% animal and I for one am proud of it.
Stooopid question.

We are animals, regardless of what one belives. It's not a matter of behavior, it's a matter of being. Homo Sapien is a species. We are primates, primates are mammals, mammals are animals.

When I look at humans I see apes and monkeys....and baboons. Lots and lots of baboons.

I'm not usually an animal, but sometimes I just like to loosen up those cell walls.

Black holes.....

Indeed, but so are a lot of things, I assumed that we were talking about a living organism of some sort. What probable types of living organisms can their be in the universe? of all of those possible types what really makes any better than others? I would say that a organism that can move around is at least greater than a plant. many arguments could be made at this point, but one needs more detail explained to determine what is greater than what and by what standard. A human really is meaningless when compared to a black hole based on the awe factor alone and on many different levels, except intelligence. From that perceptive all animals are greater than all black holes added up together (lol lets hope that never happens).

We are, in a basic form, an animal. BUT, We are something more. Humans are something "special" in the Universe and evolution/history shows that.

Conduct doesn't make us animals: basic biology does. If we aren't animals, what are we? Plants? Bacteria?

By conduct we're like the yeast in the wine barrel- we consume voraciously until we die in our own sh*t.

So we treat all animals alike?

Find me a tiger that goes "oh I shouldn't go after that antelope because its an animal just like me!"

treating all animals alike is not in our nature.

Free thought, the ability to understand the Universe around us, and As a specie that always lived on Earth, we managed to step foot on another heavenly body.

So what exactly is special?

Back
Top Bottom