• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Pennsylvania was probably thinking when they made their election rules

NeverTrump

Exposing GOP since 2015
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I have a suspicion that the people who are upset about the voter ballots in PA don't seem to understand the logic in their own state's thinking. The creators of the rules and I am not about to go into when and how they were created. I don't actually have the time to do that, and I cannot really find too much reference material on the subject when I do try to look at how the process was created. Let's just think about it for a moment. Let's say that these rules have been in place for roughly a hundred years. I have no clue if this is true or not but it's what the party keeps suggesting so I trust them that they know what they are talking about and leave it there.

This is where the delegates come in play. As the country grows delegates become more and more important. As the state becomes more important the delegates become more and more important. As this is the most polarized primary we have seen in years, Pennsylvania was probably thinking that if they ever did become important enough to matter in a primary race. It would be best to leave it up to the delegates at the convention to vote for their pick and have the people pick THEM! It isn't as crazy as it sounds. Pennsylvania is a big state. Candidates have trouble visiting every county in Iowa. I am not expecting anyone to visit all counties in a state like PA.

So PA probably thought that if the people went up to their own delegates and asked them who they were supporting then that would suffice. Unfortunately this time around, there were 17 people in the race when this thing started, and I think only a handful of Pennsylvania delegates even know who they are supporting yet. They are just like average people who will walk into the voting booth and pick then! Should they be forced to choose before everyone else? And if so, how long before the election? How would they even know PA would be important enough for their choice to even matter?

So is it really that big a deal? Do you think the system is rigged and crooked like Trump says? Or perhaps when you sit down and look at it, it's pretty fair? hmmm...

I have a suspicion that the people who are upset about the voter ballots in PA don't seem to understand the logic in their own state's thinking. The creators of the rules and I am not about to go into when and how they were created. I don't actually have the time to do that, and I cannot really find too much reference material on the subject when I do try to look at how the process was created. Let's just think about it for a moment. Let's say that these rules have been in place for roughly a hundred years. I have no clue if this is true or not but it's what the party keeps suggesting so I trust them that they know what they are talking about and leave it there.

This is where the delegates come in play. As the country grows delegates become more and more important. As the state becomes more important the delegates become more and more important. As this is the most polarized primary we have seen in years, Pennsylvania was probably thinking that if they ever did become important enough to matter in a primary race. It would be best to leave it up to the delegates at the convention to vote for their pick and have the people pick THEM! It isn't as crazy as it sounds. Pennsylvania is a big state. Candidates have trouble visiting every county in Iowa. I am not expecting anyone to visit all counties in a state like PA.

So PA probably thought that if the people went up to their own delegates and asked them who they were supporting then that would suffice. Unfortunately this time around, there were 17 people in the race when this thing started, and I think only a handful of Pennsylvania delegates even know who they are supporting yet. They are just like average people who will walk into the voting booth and pick then! Should they be forced to choose before everyone else? And if so, how long before the election? How would they even know PA would be important enough for their choice to even matter?

So is it really that big a deal? Do you think the system is rigged and crooked like Trump says? Or perhaps when you sit down and look at it, it's pretty fair? hmmm...

Mass democracy is an idiotic system. In this case, it's bringing a decent leader in, but in general, it sucks and less democratic systems should be preferred.

Hmmm, could it be a Quaker thing?

Trump has 39% of the vote but 49% of the delegates, if the system is rigged he is benefiting from it.

When you look at it Trump is a crybaby, with thin skin, tiny hands and an even smaller...

Back
Top Bottom