• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Pasta Sauces do you Enjoy the Most?

What Pasta Sauces do you Enjoy the Most?

• Total voters

The Giant Noodle

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
From Alfredo to Arrabbaita. What are the sauces you enjoy the most over pasta?

A few of the common sauces used for pasta include Alfredo, Arrabbiata, Béchamel, Classic, Carbonara, Formaggi, Madeira, Marinara, Marsala, Pesto, Puttanesca, Ragù, Romesco, and Vodka sauce, which are briefly described below. For a more thorough explanation, look up the sauce desired in the glossary.

Alfredo Sauce - a common sauce for use with fettuccine noodles to make a dish referred to as fettuccine Alfredo. The sauce consists of heavy cream or half and half that is mixed with butter, grated Parmesan cheese, pepper, and occasionally nutmeg.
Arrabbiata Sauce - one of the spicier types of tomato sauces made with chile peppers that add a more intense flavor to pasta, meats, poultry, seafood, and other foods such as pizza.
Béchamel Sauce - a basic white sauce made by adding hot milk to a white roux (heated butter mixed with flour). The roux thickens the milk into a creamy white sauce which can then be seasoned with additional ingredients depending on the type of dish served with the sauce and the flavors desired.

Bolognese Sauce - a traditional Italian red sauce originating in Bologna, Italy. Most often a Bolognese sauce will contain at least two types of meat, which may include veal, beef, pork, or chicken cut into small pieces. Unlike some sauces that use ground meat, traditional Bolognese sauces start with large pieces of meat that are sliced to be chopped into small, finely cut bits. The meat becomes part of a variety of ingredients such as onions, celery, carrots, chile peppers, tomatoes, olive oil, and white wine that are combined with seasonings and herbs such as oregano, basil, bay leaves, and nutmeg that provide the distinct flavor for the sauce. It is also common to add cream or milk to the ingredients which provides a richer flavor to the sauce.

Carbonara Sauce - a sauce made with cream, eggs, Parmesan cheese, small pieces of bacon and vegetables, such as peas. Although any type of pasta can be used, spaghetti and linguine are most suitable with this sauce. When this sauce is made, it is heated for several minutes until it begins to thicken, when it is then spread over pasta that is very hot, enabling the eggs to continue cooking while the food simmers.

Marinara Sauce - a highly seasoned tomato sauce made with garlic and other ingredients, such as onions, parsley and olives. The sauce is used on meats and pasta.

Marsala Sauce - made from a variety of flavored bases such as tomatoes, mushrooms, or fruit flavors to be served as a sauce for several traditional food dishes such as pollo (chicken) marsala or veal marsala. A typical recipe for the sauce may include onions, garlic, herbs, mushrooms, heavy cream, oil or butter, and the key ingredient, Marsala wine, which is often used as a demiglaze, or added last.

Puttanesca Sauce - a very spicy and strong flavored sauce made with garlic, bits of dried chile peppers, capers, and anchovies as key ingredients. It can be mild or well seasoned depending on the type and amount of spices added, to be served on fish and pasta dishes.

Pesto Sauce - The basil leaves are washed, dried, placed in the mortar with garlic and coarse salt, and crushed to a creamy consistency. The pine nuts are added and crushed together with the other ingredients. When the nuts are well-incorporated into the "cream", grated cheese and then olive oil are added and mixed. In a tight jar (or simply in an air-tight plastic container), pesto can last in the refrigerator up to a week, and can also be frozen for later use.[4] Commercial pesto is commonly available in supermarkets in either green (original) or red (with sun-dried tomatoes or red bell peppers) varieties, produced by major manufacturers or under a generic or cheaper brand. Cashew nuts or walnuts are often used instead of pine nuts, because they are less expensive and have a similar texture. Cheaper oils and other herbs, like parsley, may also be used.

Vodka Sauce - a creamy textured pasta sauce that goes well with penne, ravioli, rigatonni, tortellini, or ziti pasta as well as on some poultry dishes or bruschetta appetizers. Rich in flavor, this sauce typically contains tomatoes, cream, vodka, olive oil, garlic, onions, and seasonings. Parmesan, pecorino or romano cheese and meats such as prosciutto are also additional ingredients that may be included in some vodka sauces.

Italian Sausage Sauce - Base pasta sauce with Italian sausage, fennel and occasionally red wine.

Arrabbiata Sauce - Italian in origin, this sauce is considered to be one of the fiery or spicier types of tomato sauces from Italy. Arrabbiata, which is a term generally used to describe aspects of anger or rage, is applied to the characteristics and intensity of this sauce made with chile peppers that add a spicy flavor to pasta, meats, poultry, seafood, and other foods such as pizza. Penne all'Arrabbiata (angry penne pasta) or Agnello all'Arrabbiata (angry lamb) typify dishes having a spicier taste made with Arrabbiata sauces.

I'm enjoying a pesto right now.

Arrabbiata, Carbonara, and Marsala are what I normally order in a resturant, but that's partly because I don't trust many places to get some of the other sauces right. I make Alfredo, Puttnesca, Marinara, and Italian Sausage Sauce (which is just simply called gravy in my family) at home. Of those, gravy is my favorite and the most cherished family recipe handed down from my great grandma, who was 100% Italian. And the recipe is was likely handed down from her mother or grandmother as well.

We start with garlic and onions, then add ground beef. Once that's brown, we add the tomatos, hot italian sausage (already browned), meatballs (made of pork, veal, and beef), red wine, seasoning, and our secret ingredient, pork neckbones. Simmer it in a large pot all day and then serve it the next day.

Now I'm hungry... :(

Unfortunately, my exposure to fine Italian cuisine is quite limited.

Most of the home-cooked sauces I eat are store-bought tomato-based sauces mixed with cooked hamburger. That's what I use for spaghetti.

We also have a home-made pasta dish. Cook some penne pasta and a tomato-based sauce and hamburger. Mix together in an oven-safe bowl or crock, and place slices of the cheese(s) of your choice on top. Place the bowl into the heated oven until the cheese melts to your satisfaction. Take out of the oven, turn oven off, let the dish cool, and then enjoy. :)

If you don't want to use hamburger, you can easily use a different type of meat, such as sausage or chicken. The kind of sauce we use a chunky style sauce, so it's not too soupy and what little liquid there is from the sauce evaporates in the oven. Good eats.

On the list I think I have only had pesto, Alfredo and Vodka sauce. On the list I like pesto the best.

I like Amatriciana sauce the best. I use bacon instead of Guanciale(pork cheek).

Here is a couple of variations.

AMATRICIANA PASTA SAUCE RECIPE, with Bacon (guanciale), Tomatoes & onion.

Amatriciana : Food Network

Another favorite thing of mine is Spaghetti AGLIO E OLIO.Basically it is sauteed garlic and pepper flakes with some parsley and Parmesan. I like to fry garlic chips and set them aside and then saute some fresh minced garlic and some jarred minced garlic and red pepper flakes and then toss in the garlic chips ,parsley with the spaghetti. Sometimes I might even cook in some diced tomatoes with the garlic and red pepper flakes and toss in some cooked bacon.

Last edited:
I rarely have pasta these days, unless it's in the form of macaroni & cheese or various forms of lasagna.

But, on those occasions that I do have pasta, it’s usually with some incarnation of tomato based sauce with some meat in it (usually ground beef).

I do like an Alfredo Sauce when I can get it.

Pesto as well.

I like creepy Pasta.

Arrabbiata, Carbonara, and Marsala are what I normally order in a resturant, but that's partly because I don't trust many places to get some of the other sauces right. I make Alfredo, Puttnesca, Marinara, and Italian Sausage Sauce (which is just simply called gravy in my family) at home. Of those, gravy is my favorite and the most cherished family recipe handed down from my great grandma, who was 100% Italian. And the recipe is was likely handed down from her mother or grandmother as well.

We start with garlic and onions, then add ground beef. Once that's brown, we add the tomatos, hot italian sausage (already browned), meatballs (made of pork, veal, and beef), red wine, seasoning, and our secret ingredient, pork neckbones. Simmer it in a large pot all day and then serve it the next day.

Is your family from Southern Italy? My family uses neck bones too!

I make my own, I start off with tomato paste and add whatever I have on hand.

Not a lot of ways to go wrong here. Alfredo, Marinara, and Pesto are probably what I do the most though.

Actually, had both marinara and Pesto yesterday. Made Chicken Parmesean with some marinara on and around it as it cooked. For a side we had cheese tortilinis and I took some pesto and marinara and combined them, which gave it both a zesty taste with a good pesto kick that was great over top of them.

I like plain old Hunts Traditional in a can. I add hamburger, then season with garlic and oregano and top with mozarella cheese. I'm all about convenience :lol:

Here is something Ive been using to make MY sauce for years.
1st..... look at the salt / sodium in your store bought sauces! VERY high. Its hard to REALLY taste those tomatoes with all the salt.
What do I do?

I use canned CRUSHED tomatoes. I put it in a large bowl. Then i put GOOD olive oil in. Fresh cracked pepper. THEn here is the secret..... I buy Gourmet Garden BASIL. I squeeze it in and then mix it up.
Pour the HOT pasta on your sauce...... I have gotten a really great reaction from it :2wave:

CentoCrushed.gif

basil.jpg

Back
Top Bottom