• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Papa John's Doesn't Want You to Know About Their Food

And a restaurant sticking to those ingredients, rather than ordering from a distributor like sisco or city line is either going to have to charge what a consumer would see as exorbitant prices, or eventually go out of business. Fact of the matter is, ordering several large cans of crushed tomatoes is both cheaper, and less time consuming than starting with fresh. Dried basil keeps much longer than fresh, allowing for greater quantities per purchase, which saves money. Fresh mozz has to be shredded, and had a shelf life of about...4 days, after its been opened. And besides, where would you buy home made, fresh mozz that doesn't have preservatives in this country? And olive oil, last time I checked, has more than just oil from olives in it.

This is the US. Making a pizza your way is not only not cost productive, it's practically illegal, lol.

That's why Dominos has local distribution centers (at least on the West Coast) that take the fresh local ingredients, slice and dice and prepare, make the fresh dough, and ship to stores daily. Nothing comes out of a can. Even the sauce is made fresh daily and then delivered to the stores.

That's why Dominos has local distribution centers (at least on the West Coast) that take the fresh local ingredients, slice and dice and prepare, make the fresh dough, and ship to stores daily. Nothing comes out of a can. Even the sauce is made fresh daily and then delivered to the stores.

but "taste" wise they have some of the worse pizza on the list that im familiar with IMO

Pizza Hut
Little Cesar
Dominoe's
Vocelli's
Fox's
CiCI's

id say they are only better than little Cesars, but again that's only from the multiple shops in my area.

I mean you know its bad when they had commercial coming out a while ago basically saying yes we have heard we suck so we are trying to change

also like the saying goes, pizza is like sex, even when its bad, its still pretty good

but "taste" wise they have some of the worse pizza on the list that im familiar with IMO

Pizza Hut
Little Cesar
Dominoe's
Vocelli's
Fox's
CiCI's

id say they are only better than little Cesars, but again that's only from the multiple shops in my area.

also like the saying goes, pizza is like sex, even when its bad, its still pretty good

Yeah, you're right it comes down to personal taste. Because I know where the ingredients come from and are fresh may make the pizza taste better for me. But where it comes to a treat I order, as I said, usually it's Round table (again, it's that Shakey's style crust - or the closest to it).

Yeah, you're right it comes down to personal taste. Because I know where the ingredients come from and are fresh may make the pizza taste better for me. But where it comes to a treat I order, as I said, usually it's Round table (again, it's that Shakey's style crust - or the closest to it).

For a chain... shoot, I'll even compare them to a proverbial Heaven-like "mom and pop"... Round Table does a good pizza.

I also like Straw Hat (northern California, regional).

For a chain... shoot, I'll even compare them to a proverbial Heaven-like "mom and pop"... Round Table does a good pizza.

I also like Straw Hat (northern California, regional).

Oh yeah, Staw Hat - they still have those? Pretty much ate there exclusively when I was going for my LVN at Rocklin. That and ramen were 90% of my diet. :mrgreen:

And a restaurant sticking to those ingredients, rather than ordering from a distributor like sisco or city line is either going to have to charge what a consumer would see as exorbitant prices, or eventually go out of business. Fact of the matter is, ordering several large cans of crushed tomatoes is both cheaper, and less time consuming than starting with fresh. Dried basil keeps much longer than fresh, allowing for greater quantities per purchase, which saves money. Fresh mozz has to be shredded, and had a shelf life of about...4 days, after its been opened. And besides, where would you buy home made, fresh mozz that doesn't have preservatives in this country? And olive oil, last time I checked, has more than just oil from olives in it.

This is the US. Making a pizza your way is not only not cost productive, it's practically illegal, lol.

You're both wrong.

For one thing, canned tomatoes are not only acceptable, they are preferred. For another, basil should not be added to the sauce in either it's fresh or dried form. Fresh basil should be torn and tossed on the pizza after it's cooked, and then, only on margherita pizza.

Mozzerella should be fresh and should definitely purchased more than two times a week. Finally, if your olive contains anything but olive oil, you're being ripped off.

You're both wrong.

For one thing, canned tomatoes are not only acceptable, they are preferred. For another, basil should not be added to the sauce in either it's fresh or dried form. Fresh basil should be torn and tossed on the pizza after it's cooked, and then, only on margherita pizza.

Mozzerella should be fresh and should definitely purchased more than two times a week. Finally, if your olive contains anything but olive oil, you're being ripped off.

Says who :). Basil is a base ingredient in just about any red sauce my family ever makes.

Curious, why are canned preferred? And are you sealing just of pizza sauces or tomato sauces generally.

I did look at the two bottles of olive oil I have at home and neither actually listed any ingredients which I take to mean it only contains olive oil.

Says who :). Basil is a base ingredient in just about any red sauce my family ever makes.

Curious, why are canned preferred? And are you sealing just of pizza sauces or tomato sauces generally.

I did look at the two bottles of olive oil I have at home and neither actually listed any ingredients which I take to mean it only contains olive oil.

With the exception of oregano, which can be too harsh when fresh, herbs are better used fresh and added to any recipe or sauce shortly before serving because they lose their complexity quickly. Much of their flavor comes from volatile compounds which are lost if added too soon.

Canned tomatoes (not sauce), either whole, chopped, or pureed, are preferable for consistency. It is also a common practice in Italy.

I don't think canned vs fresh-off-the-vine is the issue in regards to the original story. Canned products can indeed still be quality products. The issue for canned products would be how good of quality were they when processed, and how were they processed.

With the exception of oregano, which can be too harsh when fresh, herbs are better used fresh and added to any recipe or sauce shortly before serving because they lose their complexity quickly. Much of their flavor comes from volatile compounds which are lost if added too soon.

Canned tomatoes (not sauce), either whole, chopped, or pureed, are preferable for consistency. It is also a common practice in Italy.

I agree on the herb usage. I used to make the mistake of putting them in right from the beginning but have learned better (thank you "Complete Idiots Guide to Spices and Herbs").

My wife really likes the rustic (or primitive if you prefer) feel using tomatoes off the vine. Occasionally, instead of putting them through a mill or food processor I'll just rough chop them let them simmer with a little olive oil till they give off some liquid and use that as my "sauce" - It's actually a nice change of pace.

Didn't realize that canned was common in Italy. Maybe I'll use some and not feel guilty about it :)

papa john's doesn't sell pizza. It just sells round chemical concoctions and related substances.

Is there any concern you might have about Papa John's pizza (allergens, gluten, preservatives, filler, etc.,) which would not be answered in its FAQ:

FAQs | Papa John's: Better Ingredients. Better Pizza.

That apparently none of you bothered to try and find?

All of you speculating on things like "horse meat" and other nonsense are just being juvenile.

But, politics pervades everything for some people. It's not enough that you don't like a stance someone takes; no their product has to be nasty, too.

And Schnatter is one. He's an unapologetic critic of the Obama administration, so of course, his pizza must be the worst garbage ever.

Is there any concern you might have about Papa John's pizza (allergens, gluten, preservatives, filler, etc.,) which would not be answered in its FAQ:

All of you speculating on things like "horse meat" and other nonsense are just being juvenile.

But, politics pervades everything for some people. It's not enough that you don't like a stance someone takes; no their product has to be nasty, too.

And Schnatter is one. He's an unapologetic critic of the Obama administration, so of course, his pizza must be the worst garbage ever.

I'm an unapologetic critic of the Obama administration, too. So much for that theory.

I want to know if the flour they use to make their dough contains silicon dioxide. I can't find that info on their site.

But since you've bothered, I'm sure you can point out where they answer the question :roll:

papa john's doesn't sell pizza. It just sells round chemical concoctions and related substances.

Well, no. I don't know what is in the crust, but it's bread with some tomato sauce and lots of fresh mushrooms, green bell peppers, and onions. And cheese. I think it's the occasional balanced meal.

I don't know how Papa John's or other pizza chains do it, but I do know how another extremely successful chain does: Store managers order online, and a refrigerated truck delivers fresh veggies and meats. All they do in the store is bake bread and assemble ingredients.

He doesn't know how to make pizza. He only sells round partially hydrogenated chemical concoctions, which many conservative parents see fit to feed their offspring *.

(* - natural selection is a good thing :) )

Back
Top Bottom