• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Needs To Be Talked About - How Far Are We Willing To Go?

How far are you willing to go to stopPutin

• All the way

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Not all the way. There are limits

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

Luckyone

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The question that is being asked right now by "everybody" is how far are we willing to go to stop Putin.

Are we, (as Americans) willing to?

1) pay higher gasoline prices?
2) have higher inflation?
3) put ourselves and our friends that are soldiers at risk of dying in a war with Putin?
4) put our lives (and that of our loved ones) at risk of dying due to a nuclear war?

Are we, (as U.S. Corporations) willing to?

1) willing to risk/lose profits?
2) willing to lose client base that gives us big profits (Russia)?

Are we, (as the U.S. government) willing to?

1) go into a world war?
2) send troops to die?
3) put our country at risk of millions of deaths from a nuclear attack

Bottom line is that it seems that Putin is willing to do all of the above to accomplish his goal and the only way to stop him is willing to go as far as he is willing to go. We are stronger militarily than he is, meaning that the probabilities of stopping Putin are high if we are willing to do the same he is doing.

So they question is: How far are we willing to go?

One caveat. This is not about what we are willing to put "others" at risk or at blame (like blaming Biden or blaming others for not having the balls), it is about how far each of us is willing to go to stop Putin!

The question that is being asked right now by "everybody" is how far are we willing to go to stop Putin.

3) put ourselves and our friends that are soldiers at risk of dying in a war with Putin?
4) put our lives (and that of our loved ones) at risk of dying due to a nuclear war?

1) go into a world war?
2) send troops to die?

Bottom line is that it seems that Putin is willing to do all of the above to accomplish his goal and the only way to stop him is willing to go as far as he is willing to go. We are stronger militarily than he is, meaning that the probabilities of stopping Putin are high if we are willing to do the same he is doing.

One caveat. This is not about what we are willing to put "others" at risk or at blame (like blaming Biden or blaming others for not having the balls), it is about how far each of us is willing to go to stop Putin!
It's not our fight. I am not willing to have a single soldier die fighting there.

However supplying aid to Ukraine, even if it risks nuclear war, we should do. If we are held ransom by threats of nuclear war, we might as well roll over and die anyway.

Same thing with sanctions. its our right to not trade with Russia. If they can force us to trade with them out of fear of death, we have already lost the world and died inside anyway.

I'm will take my chances. If nuclear war hits, so be it.

I don't want to go to war and I suspect most other Americans don't either.
I understand. Nonetheless, that means that Putin will win as much as he wants to win, whatever that amount is. We just hope that he doesn't want more than Ukraine and that we can live with ourselves by allowing genocide to occur in this day and age.

I wonder how many Russians want to go to war. Is it possible the solution could come from within?
It has been proven over and over again that the Russian "people" don't have a voice, only the oligarchs do.

It has been proven over and over again that the Russian "people" don't have a voice, only the oligarchs do.
They have been living under this mad man's thumb for a long time. Does anyone have any cojones over there or are they drowned in vodka and borscht?

They have been living under this mad man's thumb for a long time. Does anyone have any cojones over there or are they drowned in vodka and borscht?
That is what happens when you allow aristocracy to get hold. Once it gets hold, it does not go away unless killed.

This is not our (US) war.

I’m willing to send support, but not past that.

Unless Russia crosses into a country that we are in an alliance with, I do not want war.

Sanctions are fine. And the world economy is going to take a hit from them. But no boots in the ground (officially), no enforcing a no fly zone, etc.

I’m sorry, but Ukraine isn’t worth nuclear war.

Unless Russia crosses into a country that we are in an alliance with, I do not want war.

Sanctions are fine. And the world economy is going to take a hit from them. But no boots in the ground (officially), no enforcing a no fly zone, etc.

What if he threatens nukes for over sanctions?

1) go into a world war?
2) send troops to die?

Each of us (meaning US residents) are apparently bound by treaty such that a Russian attack on any NATO nation compels us (meaning the US military) to help fight Russia on that nation’s behalf.

We cross that bridge if we come to it.

The beauty of the markets is that no one *has* to trade with Russia. So “sanctions” can exist without *technically* existing also.
So you don't have any strong hint of what would be best if we crossed that bridge?

Hmm… are you saying that Estonia is?

It's not our fight. I am not willing to have a single soldier die fighting there.

However supplying aid to Ukraine, even if it risks nuclear war, we should do. If we are held ransom by threats of nuclear war, we might as well roll over and die anyway.

Same thing with sanctions. its our right to not trade with Russia. If they can force us to trade with them out of fear of death, we have already lost the world and died inside anyway.

This is essentially my position, though I also would support allowing volunteers to go to Ukraine to fight.

Each of us (meaning US residents) are apparently bound by treaty such that a Russian attack on any NATO nation compels us (meaning the US military) to help fight Russia on that nation’s behalf.
Nonetheless, the reality is that what Putin is doing in Ukraine is basically genocide. We are seeing innocent people not only killed but targeted. At what point do we actually defend the rights of people to "live". At what point do we give up on our idea of Democracy, which we have not only represented for 247 years but have been the example-to-the-world of what Democracy means to all humanity. Do we give up on that?

Nonetheless, the reality is that what Putin is doing in Ukraine is basically genocide. We are seeing innocent people not only killed but targeted. At what point do we actually defend the rights of people to "live". At what point do we give up on our idea of Democracy, which we have not only represented for 247 years but have been the example-to-the-world of what Democracy means to all humanity. Do we give up on that?
You going to go and fight?

I’ve heard there are already volunteers doing so.

Its a shame leftists arent willing to demand of their moron in the White House that he return to the energy policies of the previous administration that resulted in us becoming energy independent and a net exporter of oil and gas. Along with global sanction on Russian oil, that would gut Putins ability to fund his war effort. Sadly, the idiot left is so completely bought into the green energy wet dream that they were willing to sacrifice gains to force more investment in renewable energy...that cannot provide for our countries energy needs. So the idiot left will be content with high inflation and high gas prices. Content...hell.........that was their plan all along.

Although nothing will ever make me feel good about the statement, "if nuclear war hits, so be it," it's difficult to calculate the hell of living in servitude to nuclear blackmail.

Last edited:

1) go into a world war?
2) send troops to die?

The problem is MAD. Mutually Assured Destruction.

The real question is how far is Putin willing to go.

I understand. Nonetheless, that means that Putin will win as much as he wants to win, whatever that amount is. We just hope that he doesn't want more than Ukraine and that we can live with ourselves by allowing genocide to occur in this day and age.

It is not genocide. Stop over-using that word. Russians and Ukranians are similar genetically. This is an unprovoked invasion, which everyone can agree is immoral. No need to pretend it's genocide.

That is what happens when you allow aristocracy to get hold. Once it gets hold, it does not go away unless killed.

We have the same problem in the US.

Itrs not genocide. Its war. This REPUBLIC is the Beacon hope and salvation and it is the Armoury of Freedom for others around the world should they so choose. The Republics Sword and Shield are reserved for the Republic alone and only assist others as consequence of defending its own.

No. This is not "genocide". If you think what is happening in Ukraine is genocide, then you do not appreciate what that word means.

What we are watching is war. War is ugly. Innocent people die. Russia is invading unprovoked and it is wrong. But this is NOT genocide.

And as for at what point "we" defend the rights of people to live - "we" (as the United States) have treaties and alliances around the globe where "we" defend the rights of people to live. Unfortunately for Ukraine, they are not a part of those treaties/alliances.

No one is "giving up" on democracy. The entire world is attempting to prevent an escalation to WW3 and nuclear war.

That is what you are watching. That is why governments around the world are sanctioning Russia and providing assistance to Ukraine.

The amount of innocent people that would die if this escalates is unfathomable.

Back
Top Bottom