• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What motivated the change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xelor

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
A moderator recently announced a change to the forum rules re: suspensions. The change is described thus:
We have changed the suspension time when a user's active point total reaches 10 to a 3-day suspension from a 2-day suspension. This is a very minor change that won't affect the overwhelming majority of users.​

Question:
  • Insofar as the moderation team believes the change affects so few folks, why have you opted to enact it?
    • It seems odd and rather "single-outish" specifically vengeful to increase the scope of a penalty that affects "overwhelmingly" nobody. If there be but a handful of egregious offenders, can you not dole to them, on an exception basis, more stringent penalties?

Moderator's Warning:
Thread Re-opened.

Last edited:
A moderator recently announced a change to the forum rules re: suspensions. The change is described thus:
We have changed the suspension time when a user's active point total reaches 10 to a 3-day suspension from a 2-day suspension. This is a very minor change that won't affect the overwhelming majority of users.​

Question:
  • Insofar as the moderation team believes the change affects so few folks, why have you opted to enact it?
    • It seems odd and rather "single-outish" specifically vengeful to increase the scope of a penalty that affects "overwhelmingly" nobody. If there be but a handful of egregious offenders, can you not dole to them, on an exception basis, more stringent penalties?

(A) If someone manages to accrue 10 active points, then the forum deserves a respite from them. Three days doesn't seem too long.

(B) Having one rule for all the 10-pointers is better than the alternative. If it were case-by-case, then that would be more work in the mod room and more excuse for people to complain about mods cutting some people more slack than others.

(C) See (A). Three days isn't all that much of a punishment for someone with such little regard for forum etiquette, and it's a nice break for the rest of us.

Moderator's Warning:
Thread Re-opened.

Oh wow, I sort of forgot what I said before this thread was quickly closed, but I think it went something like this.
In light of the very divisive political climate we are living in, perhaps the the mods and administrator(s) of the forum decided that instead of giving out a max. penalty for ten points, they'd show some empathy, consideration, and lighten the sentence.

Of course, this is just my humble opinion.

(A) If someone manages to accrue 10 active points, then the forum deserves a respite from them. Three days doesn't seem too long.

(B) Having one rule for all the 10-pointers is better than the alternative. If it were case-by-case, then that would be more work in the mod room and more excuse for people to complain about mods cutting some people more slack than others.

(C) See (A). Three days isn't all that much of a punishment for someone with such little regard for forum etiquette, and it's a nice break for the rest of us.

Red:
Mods can define and enforce whatever rules and penalties they want. That is what it is, and we all agreed to abide their authority to do so. I don't have anything to say about the nature and extent of the penalty. I just want to know what motivated the change.

Oh wow, I sort of forgot what I said before this thread was quickly closed, but I think it went something like this.
In light of the very divisive political climate we are living in, perhaps the the mods and administrator(s) of the forum decided that instead of giving out a max. penalty for ten points, they'd show some empathy, consideration, and lighten the sentence.

Of course, this is just my humble opinion.

The announcement says that they have increased the sentence, not lightened it.

The announcement says that they have increased the sentence, not lightened it.

I thought they lightened it from three to two days. My mistake.

Personally, I agree with the move, maybe some if those that deserve moderation action will take notice beforehand and tone down their posts to more civil levels. On many sites you can be given a two week ban for simply getting on the wrong side of a Mod, overall this is one if the best moderated sites on the WWW. Just my opinion.

I never like to see staff deciding yet again that increasing penalties is a good idea.

Red:
Mods can define and enforce whatever rules and penalties they want. That is what it is, and we all agreed to abide their authority to do so. I don't have anything to say about the nature and extent of the penalty. I just want to know what motivated the change.
A most reasonable request.

I think so too....as shown, after all, by the thread's title and that being the sole question I asked in my OP. LOL

I appreciate you stepping up.....I had thought no one did and started a thread of my own, then with-in minutes I noticed this one.

I canceled my thread.

I appreciate you stepping up.....I had thought no one did and started a thread of my own, then with-in minutes I noticed this one.

I canceled my thread.

I hope yours was created after mine. They could be merged if that suits the mods, but I wouldn't want my thread to remain open while yours is closed if it be that yours was created first.

I hope yours was created after mine. They could be merged if that suits the mods, but I wouldn't want my thread to remain open while yours is closed if it be that yours was created first.

No I cancelled mine immediately..You were first.....I will let you carry the load but you know that you have the support of the Buttermilk Man.

Personally, I agree with the move, maybe some if those that deserve moderation action will take notice beforehand and tone down their posts to more civil levels. On many sites you can be given a two week ban for simply getting on the wrong side of a Mod, overall this is one if the best moderated sites on the WWW. Just my opinion.

This this and this...

seems simple enough to me....dont like it, dont break the rules

ive been a mod before and its not easy work and typically (not always) those complaining are those breaking the rules.

and i also agree 48hrs to 72hrs is VERY minor.

Question:

that makes no sense . . how is it "single-outish"

anybody and everybody that used to get a suspension for 10 points will still get a suspension for 10 points nothing vengeful about it .. . doing it on an exception basis is what could be single-outish and vengeful..

rules work best on a message board when they are the same for everybody.

No I cancelled mine immediately..You were first.....I will let you carry the load but you know that you have the support of the Buttermilk Man.

Red:
LOL Thank you. LOL

that makes no sense . . how is it "single-outish"

anybody and everybody that used to get a suspension for 10 points will still get a suspension for 10 points nothing vengeful about it
.. . doing it on an exception basis is what could be single-outish and vengeful..

rules work best on a message board when they are the same for everybody.

Red:

giphy.gif

There was nothing "vengeful" at all in our decision making, there never is. We simply felt that an extra day for a "cooling off period" might better serve the forum as a whole.

/thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom