• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What measures do you think the United States should take in response to Russian expansionism in Europe?

What measures do you think the United States should take in response to Russian expansionism.

• Total voters

ALiberalModerate

Pragmatist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Poll is multiple choice. I should also point out that none of these are mutually exclusive. For example, we can increase defense spending and encourage NATO nations to do the same. We can increase oil production and increase efficiency mandates and so on.

Last edited:
Poll is multiple choice. I should also point out that none of these are mutually exclusive. For example, we can increase defense spending and encourage NATO nations to do the same. We can increase oil production and increase efficiency mandates and so on.
I think Russia is about to run out of expansionism.

I think we should activate nato and as barny fife would say nip,nip,nip it in the bud…

Even though Ukrainian is currently not a member there are several members who ware in immediate danger

Time to bee be proactive rather reactive…

I voted for all of your options except more defense spending, it’s already enough. I also voted Other - I think we should figure out how to pull India, Brazil closer to our orbit.

Just make it clear that any attack on a NATO nation will be answered militarily.

Russia will not dare attack any NATO nation.

Yes, announce that no nation that is contiguous with Russia will become a NATO member.

Other.

Stay out of it. Do nothing. The leaders of the Ukrainian government are nothing but criminals, and the EU is inept for wanting them to join.

They had a properly elected president.

Their Parliament refused to change the laws that would allow them to get the help they needed from the EU, and improve the time for them to join.

Because their nation was suffering, their president asked Russia for help.

The powers to be went bonkers, and had him ousted. This lead to Crimea defecting, with Russia's help.

Most of the east population is ethnic Russian, and they want Russia's help.

Their criminal action of ousting their president should show they will not be ready for the entrance into the EU any time soon.

The best solution I see is to divide the nation in two, and let the eastern regions join Russia.

When Patton said ''we defeated the wrong enemy'' was he talking about the Soviets or the Jews?

Patton was clearly talking about the Soviets or Russians. Here are some of his quotes about the Soviets:

“We promised the Europeans freedom. It would be worse than dishonorable not to see they have it. This might mean war with the Russians, but what of it? They have no Air Force anymore ,their gasoline and ammunition supplies are low .I've seen their miserable supply trains; mostly wagons drawn by beaten up old hoses or oxen. I'll say this; the Third Army alone with very little help and with damned few casualties, could lick what is left of the Russians in six weeks. You mark my words. Don't ever forget them. Someday we will have to fight them and it will take six years and cost us six million lives.”

We have destroyed what could have been a good race of people [Germans] and we are about to replace them with mongolian savages and all of Europe with communism”

Just make it clear that any attack on a NATO nation will be answered militarily.

Yes, announce that no nation that is contiguous with Russia will become a NATO member.
The Baltic countries are already NATO members, and though It's short there is a border between Russia and Norway.

No fly zone over Ukraine enforced.

Weapons provided gratis to destroy Russian flying vehicles and tanks and ground vehicles.

Remove Russia and any country that helps Russia from the Swift monetary system immediately.

Blockade all Russian ports immediately.

Stop all air traffic into or out of Russia.

Immediately freeze the assets of all Russians outside of Russia.

More suggestions to come if these don't work.

Well, no, your poll is predicated on a Straw Man Fallacy.

Russia has no intention of expanding, but they do need Ukraine to be neutral to function as a buffer-State to halt NATO expansion.
You sure you want to keep shilling for Putin? Those paychecks in rubles have to be pretty worthless right now. Would be nice if the site here blocked vpns.

Russia has no intention of expanding, but they do need Ukraine to be neutral to function as a buffer-State to halt NATO expansion.
Russian propaganda bullshit. By that same logic does Ukraine need a ****ing buffer state to halt Russian expansionism? Does Ukraine get to invade neighboring Belgorod O'blast or Rostov O'blast to create a "buffer"? Seems right now they have way more of a case seeing as they are the victims of Russian aggression as opposed to the other way around.

Last edited:

Yeah that ship has sailed.

And if anything Ukraine deserves to be granted NATO membership as soon as this conflict is over, if they survive it intact.

No fly zone over Ukraine enforced.

Weapons provided gratis to destroy Russian flying vehicles and tanks and ground vehicles.

Remove Russia and any country that helps Russia from the Swift monetary system immediately.

Blockade all Russian ports immediately.

Stop all air traffic into or out of Russia.

Immediately freeze the assets of all Russians outside of Russia.

More suggestions to come if these don't work.

Lotta dumb ideas in there IMO. But at least you're trying. Thats something. (y)

Everything on your list except #1 seems like a good idea to me. Russian oil doesn't matter to Europe nearly as much as Russian gas, and ramping up oil production would have a minimal impact on the price of oil. Plus it's bad for the environment.

If we want to cut off Russian oil, then do it directly through sabotage or sanctions. But the long term solution is to just use less oil (#2 on your poll) by electrifying the transportation grid.

Ditto wrt Georgia and with which NATO has military exercises planned for March this year. Do you think the MSM will class these exercises as threatening to Russia ?

If Russia were to take Ukraine, then just about every country bordering Russia to the west would be a NATO country other than Finland and Belarus. If Russia were to take Ukraine, I would hope (and welcome) Finland and Sweden to NATO.

Lotta dumb ideas in there IMO. But at least you're trying. Thats something. (y)

I left out direct military assistance and massive provisions of troops and equipment that we promised to provide if any trouble arose.

If Russia were to take Ukraine, then just about every country bordering Russia to the west would be a NATO country other than Finland and Belarus. If Russia were to take Ukraine, I would hope (and welcome) Finland and Sweden to NATO.
I think they would stop at the approximate half that is a majority Russian ethinic.

I think they would stop at the approximate half that is a majority Russian ethinic.
Those rubles they are paying you with can't be worth much now, so what is the point in continuing to shill for Putin? If we start dividing up nation's along ethnic lines, there will not be very many intact nations left on earth. Ukraine is a sovereign nation with an elected government. Russia has invaded a sovereign nation with an elected government - moreover, the entire premise that Putin used is based on lies.

Drill baby drill!

If western democracies want a safer world, less fighting, and less relying oil and gas from some of the worst nations on the planet, then we need to maximize production and exports from the USA, Canada, Mexico, and Norway.

Do that and we cut off the power from some of these thugs, including Saudi Arabia.

But sappy libtard save the planet hand wringing environmentalist assholes would rather give money and power to these thugs, or maybe even be ruled by them.

We should be expanding oil production while at the same time building nuclear power plants everywhere. Do that and eventually we will no longer need carbon based energy, but we need to make a choice. Allow thugs to control our energy needs, or control our own. And sorry, but solar and wind will NEVER be enough to power everything, not without either oil/gas, or nuclear to fill the gaps.

Then entire reason Germany is now under Putin's spell, is because they decided to shut down their ageing nuclear plants rather than replace them.

We should push hard on research and development into energy sources that do not require the various fossil fuels, since that will free up what we do have for the areas which those alternate energy sources cannot cover, and reduce our needs overall.
But we need to keep in mind that we might just be replacing one material requirement with another. I'm mainly thinking about the use of hard to get substances in large rechargeable batteries, but there are probably other examples.

Back
Top Bottom