• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What matches your definition of the word racist?

What matches your definition of the word racist?

• Total voters
No. That is rather the point. If everyobdy would overcome the odds, the odds wouldn't be against them anymore.

That may be the biggest logical mix-up ever. The odds only exist if people in the situation are failing. People fail because it is difficult to succeed in the enviorment. The marginalized have always been the hardest workers.

I find it hard to believe that Derek has religiously put $5/day into his retirment investment potfolio and not ended up any further ahead.

In fact, seeing as the market has averaged a 10% annual return, one would expect that after putting $150/month (which is a little less than $5/day) into an investement portfolio, after 40 years of working he would have accumulated roughly $956,667.04. He would be just shy of being a millionaire, and his grandkids could grow up wherever he damn well pleased.

Whats the reality of being able to put away 150/month when your living paycheck to paycheck? Don't tell me they spend it on things they don't need. Most of it is spent on essentials. At the same time how important is planning for the future when your having difficulty making ends meet today? The reality is poor people don't have saving, many middle class people don't.

Also, you don't need to have good credit history in order to get student loans, as a large number of students don't have a credit history straight out of high school.

Many of those loans need to be co-signed by parents. Their parents have no assests so they are less likely to be granted private student loans. There are government loans that they may qualify for but demand is very high for those loans. Of course if we went libertarian those loans and subsidized tuition wouldn't exist. At the same time they go to poor terrible high schools that aren't supposed to lead to college.

Additionally, when people join the armed services they automatically qualify for the G.I. Bill, and they get steady income in addition to free food and lodging.

Its hard to believe that living in hell is the only option for anyone.

Blacks are already very overrepresented in te military. It be one thing if we weren't but we are. Every poor black kid shouldn't ahve to serve in the military in order to recieve an opportunity.

Wow Jray, you were lucky enough to get a free ride to college? God damn boy, and you're sitting here complaining? I sure as hell didn't get a free ride to college and neither did my sister, and neither of us got a dime from our parents because our family didn't make enough money to help. Weird how my sis somehow managed to get her degree, as a single mother, working while going to school.

Must have been because she's white, huh? Is that why she managed to get a degree despite coming from a rural area and a family that was financially unable to help? I'm sure that whole working while going to school and raising a kid thing was doable because of the color of her skin.

I worked my *** off to get a free ride, ok. And I don't complain for myself. I am happy with what I have achieved but at the same time there are many blacks that don't have the opportunities that I was lucky enough to have.

Also, I never said that others, whether black, white, latino, or asian don't come from bad situations. The fact of the matter is that balcks, and latinos have always had it worse. Blacks a little worse than latinos. We die younger, we're poorer, we're get higher intrest rates, we are more likely to be victims of police misconduct. Black incarceration rates are higher than black crime rates. Hell black incarceration rates are higher than the rates in Aparthied South Africa. Americas has become just as segregated as it was in the past. Things are getting worse. The numbers don't lie. Something needs to be done.

And, AA isn't equal opportunity. It's UN equal opportunity. It's legislated favortism. It's legislated racism and sexism. I just cannot for the life of me understand why people are still under the delusion that it's necessary and that's "fair" to force employers to discriminate against white men.

If I knew that someone hired me just to fill some stupid AA requirement, I'd tell them to shove it up their ***.

AA does not mandate strict quotas. It's a tiebreaker. It's the last thing considered. White america made sure of that. And if there is a tie then why shouldn't the black person or the woman get the spot? It's not unequal oppotunity it is made to counteract unequal opportunity. It is made to open doors that would otherwise be closed.

Come on. Go check the sources I cited two posts ago. The systematic racism is still severe. Brown died with Thurgood Marshall. After Brown things got better and now things are getting worse. Reagen and Bush have stripped the power from Civil Rights legislation. The laws are there but are only effective when enforced. But the white mainstream doesn't think this is happening even when everything says that it is. Instead they elect leaders like Bush and Reagen and Nixon. We can't expect achievment to be equal whe.

I am familiar with the sources. It hasn't been that long ago that I was helping compile some of the data that went into those sources. I work with and have employees and had one boss who have experienced all the unfairness you describe and then some. They chose the Bill Cosby prescription to overcome it, however, and they bow their head or feel inferior to nobody. They don't have to worry about aids or how the police treat them or going to jail or dying any younger than anybody else in their age groups. Why? Because they live their lives so that these things are not a problem.

That is what you should be telling those kids on your block. And you shouldn't let them get away with making excuses or giving up after setbacks or failures. Tell them they can succeed, show them that it is possible to succeed. Once they believe it, they'll do it.

So you came from a bad enviorment. You had odds to overcome. Would you not sympathize with those who come from the same position? Not everyone can overcome the odds. If they could would they really be odds? But we can dismantle enviorments that create them. We can guarantee equal opportunity. There is no reason we shouldn't.

Sure I can emphathise and sympathise and every other kind of -ise those who came up through the school of less privilege, discrimination, unfair treatment, and hard knocks. I learned to never use that as an excuse, however. And I think it is the worst kind of discrimination and destructive policy to allow those kids on your block to use it as an excuse either.

I go back to my block all the time and try to help the kids there. But while I tell them try and you will succeed. They will tell me "Well Derek down block did that and he's still here. Mike across the street did that and he's still here." They will tell me they are better off doing what they want then work for nothing. These kids don't have the opportunity they should be garunteed. They are not supposed to go to college. Instead they see drug dealers flaunting their money and see opportunity there. What do I tell the ones that do try and still fail? You didn't try hard enough. The hardest workers have always been the marginalized. If they do succeed they won't change the state of black america. They will leave because they don't have to live there anymore. You can't blame them. So they leave and no new resources come to the neighborhood. Ghettos aren't going to break up through some massive achievement movement. The system makes it so that someone has to be poor.

Yes, sometimes we do have to leave where we are to get what we want, even before we succeed. Do you plan to go back to the ghetto now that you are on the path to success? Then again, whether black, white, or polka dot, kids are going to grow up disadvantaged when fathers don't take responsibility for their family, when women have a whole litter of kids, often by different fathers, and try to raise them alone, when parents don't teach their kids how to succeed, how to learn a trade; don't instill in them the simple prescription for how to succeed in the world no matter who you are or what circumstances you were born to. As long as you look to "whitey", especially the government, as the solution to your problems, the problems won't be solved. But if black folks do the same things successful black, white, etc. folks do to succeed, I think you would see that black folks are just as smart, capable, and able as anybody else and just as likely to succeed. This is what those kids on your block need to be told.

In his new book Cosby writes, "The schools don't help, they're often terrible quality." Well isn't that part of the problem? We don't have the resources to properly fund the schools. We don't choose the schools our kids go to

Nope, but we could get behind those who believe the key to getting the schools back to educating kids is by allowing the parents to choose the school their kid will go to. When schools are having to compete for those government dollars, you will see the standards improved virtually overnight. Why should anybody have to settle for a substandard education just because some bureaucrat says your kid has to go to a particular school that gets a lot of government money whether they educate your kid or not?

Last edited:
Blacks are already very overrepresented in te military. It be one thing if we weren't but we are. Every poor black kid shouldn't ahve to serve in the military in order to recieve an opportunity.

Hell naw they shouldn't!!

Whitey and "The Man" Should give them "they" damned RepErationz already!

.........we are more likely to be victims of police misconduct.
Again, if you ("we" in your statement) would not lead a criminal life, flee from the police, resist the police, and attack the police. Then you ("we" in your statement) won't be "victims" of "police misconduct".

How ****ing hard is that to understand race baiter?

Black incarceration rates are higher than black crime rates. Hell black incarceration rates are higher than the rates in Aparthied South Africa. Americas has become just as segregated as it was in the past. Things are getting worse. The numbers don't lie. Something needs to be done.
Yes, something needs to be done. The "black community" needs to start educating their youth on how to "FOLLOW THE GOD DAMNED LAW".

And, because this country has come so pathetic in its attempts to silence anything they don't like labeling it racism.

DISCLAIMER: THIS STATEMENT WAS ONLY MEANT FOR THOSE WHO CONTRIBUTE, OR PLAN ON CONTRIBUTING IN THE FUTURE TO THE SITUATIONS WHICH THEY PLACE THEMSELVES INTO BECOMING "VICTIMS" OF POLICE USES OF FORCE. THIS STATEMENT WAS ALSO MEANT FOR THOSE WHO CONTRIBUTE, OR PLAN ON CONTRIBUTING TO THE HIGHER INCARCERATION RATES BY KNOWINGLY OR PLANNING TO COMMIT A CRIME FOR WHICH PRISON IS A PUNISHMENT.

THIS IS NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM IS A BROAD STATEMENT THAT ALL BLACKS ARE CRIMINALS.

Pathetic I had to do such a thing huh?

Again, if you ("we" in your statement) would not lead a criminal life, flee from the police, resist the police, and attack the police. Then you ("we" in your statement) won't be "victims" of "police misconduct".

How ****ing hard is that to understand race baiter?

Yes, something needs to be done. The "black community" needs to start educating their youth on how to "FOLLOW THE GOD DAMNED LAW".

And, because this country has come so pathetic in its attempts to silence anything they don't like labeling it racism.

DISCLAIMER: THIS STATEMENT WAS ONLY MEANT FOR THOSE WHO CONTRIBUTE, OR PLAN ON CONTRIBUTING IN THE FUTURE TO THE SITUATIONS WHICH THEY PLACE THEMSELVES INTO BECOMING "VICTIMS" OF POLICE USES OF FORCE. THIS STATEMENT WAS ALSO MEANT FOR THOSE WHO CONTRIBUTE, OR PLAN ON CONTRIBUTING TO THE HIGHER INCARCERATION RATES BY KNOWINGLY OR PLANNING TO COMMIT A CRIME FOR WHICH PRISON IS A PUNISHMENT.

THIS IS NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM IS A BROAD STATEMENT THAT ALL BLACKS ARE CRIMINALS.

Pathetic I had to do such a thing huh?

Get you facts straight dumbass.
Blacks on Long Island were 36 times more likely in 2002 to be imprisoned for drug offenses than whites, despite possessing and selling illegal drugs at similar rates
Report: Prison for blacks more likely -- Newsday.com

And for you dumass, "Don't join gangs comment"
Harvard Public Health Review Winter 2007

Get you facts straight dumbass.

Report: Prison for blacks more likely -- Newsday.com

And for you dumass, "Don't join gangs comment"
Harvard Public Health Review Winter 2007

Possessing something illegal and getting CAUGHT possessing something illegal are two different things.

In the south side of town where all the rich white people live, drugs are just a prevalent, however, most of the drug arrests come from the north and east sides of town where the rich white people don't live.

Their race has nothing to do with them getting CAUGHT. Their methods do.

In the east and north sides of town, the damned idiots walk around on the ****ing street corners with dope selling it to people.

In the south side of town, people carry it in their vehicles and go from house to house, making it more difficult for them to be caught.

Also, these people in the south part of town know that they CAN say NO to a police officer if asked to search the vehicle. The idiots in the north and east side don't understand this, and thus say yes to consent to search and then the officers find dope in their vehicles, or in their pockets, etc.

:roll:

But of course, lets just point the finger at race and not at actions and methods\

Possessing something illegal and getting CAUGHT possessing something illegal are two different things.

In the south side of town where all the rich white people live, drugs are just a prevalent, however, most of the drug arrests come from the north and east sides of town where the rich white people don't live.

Their race has nothing to do with them getting CAUGHT. Their methods do.

In the east and north sides of town, the damned idiots walk around on the ****ing street corners with dope selling it to people.

In the south side of town, people carry it in their vehicles and go from house to house, making it more difficult for them to be caught.

Also, these people in the south part of town know that they CAN say NO to a police officer if asked to search the vehicle. The idiots in the north and east side don't understand this, and thus say yes to consent to search and then the officers find dope in their vehicles, or in their pockets, etc.

:roll:

But of course, lets just point the finger at race and not at actions and methods\

You said the "black community needs to educate it's youth to follow th law." Well people are breaking at the same rates, they are just not getting caught at the same rates. So everybody, not just the black community, needs to educate it's youth to follow the law. Either way crime is generally not a cultural problem, it's fostered by poor econommic situation.
Establishing general racial invariance in poverty’s effect would reaffirm the importance of structural disadvantage as a root cause of violent crime
VIOLENT CRIME IN AFRICAN AMERICAN AND WHITE NEIGHBORHOODS: IS POVERTY?S DETRIMENTAL EFFECT RACE-SPECIFIC? Abstract

Moderator's Warning:
Just your friendly resident mod interjecting a reminder to keep things civil. :2wave:

That may be the biggest logical mix-up ever. The odds only exist if people in the situation are failing. People fail because it is difficult to succeed in the enviorment. The marginalized have always been the hardest workers.

Its not a logical mix up. I agree that the odds only exist if people in the situation are failing. The reason people fail is either because they don't know how to succeed, or they are unwilling to put forth the effort to succeed.

If they knew how to succeed, and were willing to put forth the effort to do so, the odds would no longer be against them.

It then follows that if the time and effort spent trying to convince white folk to play favorites based on race, were instead spent educating people in the situations you described on how to succeed, the odds would eventually cease to be against them.

Whats the reality of being able to put away 150/month when your living paycheck to paycheck? Don't tell me they spend it on things they don't need. Most of it is spent on essentials.

The reality is that it is perfectly possible for someone making minimum wage to save three times that at least. I know from experience.

How many people do you actually know personally who don't spend any money on:

Ciggarettes
Alcohol
Soda pop
Coffee
Fast food
Jewelry
Retail clothing
Television/cable
Internet
Music
MP3 players
etc...

And for those who live in cities with a public transportation system:

Cars
Car insurance
Gas
Parking
"Rims"
etc...

At the same time how important is planning for the future when your having difficulty making ends meet today?

The answer to that would be "especially important."

The reality is poor people don't have saving, many middle class people don't.

The reality is that I was a poor person and I saved. And having saved, I am no longer a poor person. Is that another "logical mix-up?" It makes perfect sense to me.

Many of those loans need to be co-signed by parents. Their parents have no assests so they are less likely to be granted private student loans.

Maybe it depends on where you live. Folk going to the University of Washington can get a private loan from Bank of America without the need for a parent to cosign.

There are government loans that they may qualify for but demand is very high for those loans. Of course if we went libertarian those loans and subsidized tuition wouldn't exist.

If we went Libertarian, schools would be more effective, and less expensive.

Not every black kid does have to serve in the Military to get an opportunity. You got an opportunity didn't you?

If every black kid who serves in the military saves $5/day, their children won't have to serve in the military to get an opportunity.

And its not like a few years of service is terrible price to pay for an opportunity. I am rather planning on joining myself.

The reality is that it is perfectly possible for someone making minimum wage to save three times that at least. I know from experience.

How many people do you actually know personally who don't spend any money on:

Ciggarettes
Alcohol
Soda pop
Coffee
Fast food
Jewelry
Retail clothing
Television/cable
Internet
Music
MP3 players
etc...

And for those who live in cities with a public transportation system:

Cars
Car insurance
Gas
Parking
"Rims"
etc...

The answer to that would be "especially important."

The reality is that I was a poor person and I saved. And having saved, I am no longer a poor person. Is that another "logical mix-up?" It makes perfect sense to me.

Maybe it depends on where you live. Folk going to the University of Washington can get a private loan from Bank of America without the need for a parent to cosign.

If we went Libertarian, schools would be more effective, and less expensive.

Not every black kid does have to serve in the Military to get an opportunity. You got an opportunity didn't you?

If every black kid who serves in the military saves $5/day, their children won't have to serve in the military to get an opportunity.

And its not like a few years of service is terrible price to pay for an opportunity. I am rather planning on joining myself.

So a black man joins the military and saves $5/day. He serves and then goes to college. The reality of situation is he will still earn less(1), live shorter, be punished more severely by the courts, etc. than his white counterpart. And that is a problem. America is supposed to be guaranteeing a fair society where oppurtunity is not based on race. Well the effects of past and present racism are preventing that from happening but no one wants to address the issue.

The income gap is not a result of black culture. The healthcare gap is not a result of black culture. The disparity in sentancing is not black culture.
(2) There is no reason that when qualifications are controled blacks should earn less. There is no reason That when situations are controlled blacks should recieve harsher punishments. The only explanation is racism but you tell me it's almost gone. I'll ask again for that evidence because I've posted more than enough to show it is still severly present. Blacks don't have to accept racism as part of society so there is no reason I should not fight against it.

Back
Top Bottom