• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What matches your definition of the word racist?

• Total voters

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative

A common dictionary definition of the word racist.
racism. The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.
. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others. 2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race

the word "racist defined by some racist liberal douche bag who works at the University of Delaware.

University of Delaware program says, "All whites are racist." - alt.gossip.celebrities | Google Groups
A Racist: A racist is one who is both privileged and socialized on the basis of race by a white supremacist (racist) system. The term applies to all white people (i.e. people of European descent) living in the United States regardless of class, gender, religion, culture or sexuality. By this definition, people of color cannot be racists, because as peoples within the U.S. system they do not have the power to back up their prejudices, hostilities or acts of discrimination."

Well jamesrage, people are going to come in this thread and attack your source, which is world net daily.

If this story is accurate and not misleading, then its pretty pathetic on the part of University of Delaware. I forgot Delaware even existed to be honest with you.

Well jamesrage, people are going to come in this thread and attack your source, which is world net daily.

If this story is accurate and not misleading, then its pretty pathetic on the part of University of Delaware.

It's really quite sad- a student could sue them for it if they wanted to- and someone will want to.

I forgot Delaware even existed to be honest with you.

I forget sometimes, too. I, however, live here, so it's a bit of a problem for me.

I could care less if they attack my source.They are free to use their liberal sources just as I am free to use my conservative sources.

If this story is accurate and not misleading, then its pretty pathetic on the part of University of Delaware.

The story reminds of this one racist liberal douche bag that was a guest on a talk show(I think it was Dr.Phil or Dr.Kieth Ablow) that I seen and some audience member asked him why is it okay for him to be a racist or some question relating to the racist liberal douche bag being a racist.The racist liberal douche bag answered with the liberal racist douche bag bull **** definition of racist.

I see a lot of blacks and hispanics who are deluded to think that you have to be white to be racist. I mean, how stupid do you have to be to think that?

Then again, half of them have a dozen kids by a dozen mothers and long prison records. But pointing that out is racist, apparently.

A common dictionary definition of the word racist.
racism. The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.
. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others. 2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race

the word "racist defined by some racist liberal douche bag who works at the University of Delaware.

University of Delaware program says, "All whites are racist." - alt.gossip.celebrities | Google Groups
A Racist: A racist is one who is both privileged and socialized on the basis of race by a white supremacist (racist) system. The term applies to all white people (i.e. people of European descent) living in the United States regardless of class, gender, religion, culture or sexuality. By this definition, people of color cannot be racists, because as peoples within the U.S. system they do not have the power to back up their prejudices, hostilities or acts of discrimination."
The university definition is not up to par since even minorities can be racist.
there are Black racists and white racists.

I see a lot of blacks and hispanics ---snip--- half of them have a dozen kids by a dozen mothers and long prison records. But pointing that out is racist, apparently.

You got statistics to back that up? Just curious and would appreciate seeing your source.

You got statistics to back that up? Just curious and would appreciate seeing your source.

It's called personal experience, that's why I said "I see".

If this story is accurate and not misleading, then its pretty pathetic on the part of University of Delaware. I forgot Delaware even existed to be honest with you.

This story...like so many on WorldNetDaily....can only be found on WorldNetDaily ....all other pages on the issue.....are just mirrors of the WorldNetDaily page......0wn3d?

Notice the difference between :

"Students will understand they have stereotypes and they will begin questioning which stereotypes they have," according to the objectives for educational floor meetings led by resident assistants.

Dorm residents are expected to attend the floor sessions, as well as one-on-one training sessions with the resident assistants. Sample questions for the one-on-one sessions include "When were you first made aware of your race?" and "When did you discover your sexual identity?"

According to documents obtained by FIRE, a training session in August was led by Shakti Butler, executive director of California-based World Trust Educational Services. Butler's presentation included a glossary that defines "racist" as synonymous with white supremacist, and one that applies to "all white people" in the U.S. "regardless of class, gender, religion, culture or sexuality."

And :

A mandatory University of Delaware program requires residence hall students
to acknowledge that "all whites are racist" and offers them "treatment" for
any incorrect attitudes regarding class, gender, religion, culture or
sexuality they might hold upon entering the school, according to a civil
rights group.

Like I said. The WorldNetDaily story. Only exists in WorldNetDaily.

Butler's presentation included a glossary that defines "racist" as synonymous with white supremacist, and one that applies to "all white people" in the U.S. "regardless of class, gender, religion, culture or sexuality."

And :

A mandatory University of Delaware program requires residence hall students
to acknowledge that "all whites are racist" and offers them "treatment" for
any incorrect attitudes regarding class, gender, religion, culture or
sexuality they might hold upon entering the school, according to a civil
rights group.

Not much difference really, and quibbles about the source are unimportant.

The content and the policy are the story.

It's called personal experience, that's why I said "I see".

So no factual evidence for your theory, just personal opinion. Interesting tagline you use in your signature..

Like I said. The WorldNetDaily story. Only exists in WorldNetDaily.

I'm new here and found references to the story on Wikipedia and various other sources on the web.

University of Delaware - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Residence Life Controversy

In October 2007, the Office of Residence Life's diversity program was criticized by the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education for allegedly "indoctrinating" students on "university-approved ideologies" regarding sexual identity, racism, and social responsibility.[8][9] The program was suspended on November 1, 2007, with university president Patrick T. Harker quoted as saying, "There are questions about its practices that must be addressed and there are reasons for concern that the actual purpose is not being fulfilled."

If the story is true it's not only "Orwellian" it's madness. Not only madness in terms of policy and race relations but for next years prospective students thinking about which University to apply to.

So no factual evidence for your theory, just personal opinion.

Never said there was so you're just beating up your own farcical straw men. Come on back when you have a valid point.

Untitled Page

Your letter asserts a number of conclusions that can be supported by a selective citation of documents, but are not actualized. The idea that students are “required to adopt university approved views” on the issues listed is not a goal of this institution or of the residence life department. This type of goal is both highly undesired and wholly unattainable. Students are challenged to express themselves as free-thinking citizens. The indoctrination you speak of serves no educational purpose and does not exist as part of a systematic effort on this campus. I assume that you have noted the absence of any policy, rule, or regulation pertaining to your concerns about disciplinary action being taken against students for unwillingness to be changed in the manner that you describe.

There is in fact a program within the residence halls that engages students in self –examination of the roles they hope to take in society. This effort is consistent with the mission of the University which states, “Our graduates should know how to reason critically and independently…communicate clearly in writing and speech, and develop into informed citizens and leaders.” The program is designed to encourage students to think about and to consider a number of issues, but all make their own decisions about the outcome of this reflection. FIRE’s assertion that students are told what to think is inaccurate. In common with FIRE, our institution values free speech, active voice, and open dialogue. We believe that students learn and grow in part by engaging in significant discussions on both sides of the classroom door.

I have tremendous respect for the ability of our students as well as their emotional and intellectual capacity. My main point of contention out of the multiple assertions is that the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education seems to presume that our students are so empty-headed and ignorant that they would be "indoctrinated" with ease. I believe you have underestimated the quality and caliber of our students. You have examined many internal and public documents in your search for concerns. I invite you to explore our web site more fully to get a better picture of the capacity of a University of Delaware student. You will find that they are highly intelligent and capable to assert their viewpoints and to face challenges from a variety of areas. Our students are fully able to encounter multiple values and perspectives and remain true to their own identity. As they emerge from college, their ability to use their free speech rights will be only one of many talents they possess. While I consider many of your points to be open for legitimate discussion and debate, the supposition that University of Delaware students are simply empty vessels to be filled by any willing authority figure is an unstated assertion where we can find no common ground.

Never said there was so you're just beating up your own farcical straw men. Come on back when you have a valid point.

I see a lot of blacks and hispanics who are deluded to think that you have to be white to be racist. I mean, how stupid do you have to be to think that?

Then again, half of them have a dozen kids by a dozen mothers and long prison records. But pointing that out is racist, apparently.

Don't worry, wasn't trying to figure out if you're racist or not - just wondering why the blacks and hispanics you see have an opinion of lesser worth than yours.

It's all just personal opinion isn't it? They (if they do) have an opinion which you judge stupid. You have an opinion of equal merit.

No straw men were hurt in this post.

Racists come in all sizes, shapes, and colors. If one considers their race to be superior to another, and/or if one considers a race to be inferior to another... then they are racist. I don't personally subscribe to any other ridiculous, PC, bullcrap definition and especially not one that states only "whites" can be racist. That's one of the more stupid things I've heard in awhile.

Well dude, I really don't want to bang on a drum, but how exactly do you think racism happens? People see things, and overgeneralize what they see (which is attributed to ignorance) by assuming what they've observed is representative of reality and thusly generalizable. So, yes, it is racist to make assumptions about a whole group of people based on your observations, considering you have no reason to believe that what you've observed was a representative sampling of the entire population as a whole.

Are you denying that there are indeed black and hispanic individuals out there who think that only whites can be racist? That's all I said, you're the one who is now insisting that I'm overgeneralizing.

It seems some people just can't handle reality and need to spar with strawmen.

Just wanted to make a quick comment on this whole thing.

Racism is an act, it's more than just hatred toward a race. And that act needs to be backed by some sort of power so to quote Biko:

"Those who know, define racism as discrimination by a group against another for the purposes of subjugation or maintaining subjugation. In other words one cannot be racist unless he has power to subjugate."

Bullsh1t redefinition.

The Japanese were hugely racist in 1940, when they had lots of power, and they were still hugely racist in 1950 when we were militarily occupying their entire country.

Your assertion is quite simply false, and the intent thereof is not laudable.

Well lets go back and look at the dictionary definition

"The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others."

Well, there are black supremists so yes by that definition anyone can be, but didn't you discuss how blacks are less intelligent than whites due to their race? Would that not make you racist by that definition? I don't think you will accept that.

"2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race"

By this definition racism is an act not a belief. So you need some sort of power to discriminate, so this would follow what Biko says.

Edit:
A quick Wiki gave me this.

Some sociologists have defined racism as a system of group privilege. In Portraits of White Racism David Wellman (1993) has defined racism as "culturally sanctioned beliefs, which, regardless of intentions involved, defend the advantages whites have because of the subordinated position of racial minorities,” (Wellman 1993: x). Sociologists Noel Cazenave and Darlene Alvarez Maddern define racism as “...a highly organized system of 'race'-based group privilege that operates at every level of society and is held together by a sophisticated ideology of color/'race' supremacy. Racist systems include, but cannot be reduced to, racial bigotry,” (Cazenave and Maddern 1999: 42). Sociologist and former American Sociological Association president Joe Feagin argues that the United States can be characterized as a "total racist society" because racism is used to organize every social institution (Feagin 2000, p. 16). More recently, Feagin has articulated a comprehensive theory of racial oppression in the U.S. in his book Systemic Racism: A Theory of Oppression (Routledge, 2006). Feagin examines how major institutions have been built upon racial oppression which was not an accident of history, but was created intentionally by white Americans. In Feagin's view, white Americans labored hard to create a system of racial oppression in the 17th century and have worked diligently to maintain the system ever since. While Feagin acknowledges that changes have occurred in this racist system over the centuries, he contends that key and fundamental elements have been reproduced over nearly four centuries, and that U.S. institutions today reflect the racialized hierarchy created in the 17th century. Today, as in the past, racial oppression is not just a surface-level feature of this society, but rather pervades, permeates, and interconnects all major social groups, networks, and institutions across the society. Feagin's definition stands in sharp contrast to psychological definitions that assume racism is an "attitude" or an irrational form of bigotry that exists apart from the organization of social structure.

So the sociological opinion seems to be that racism is one group suppressing another group that it deems to be inferior, which would be similiar to what Biko says. To further quote him "no white man can help but to be part of the oppresser class." Not to say every white man hates blacks but to say that if someone is white they are automaticly seen as the oppresor. (Remember when and where Biko is writing from)

Last edited:
Well lets go back and look at the dictionary definition

"The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others."

Well, there are black supremists so yes by that definition anyone can be,

Thank you for admitting that your previous statement was in error.

but didn't you discuss how blacks are less intelligent than whites due to their race?

I recall that thread, you left it and never came back, after I debunked the bogus line of reasoning about "biased tests".

Would that not make you racist by that definition? I don't think you will accept that.

Think again.

If thats what the testing shows, then thats what I will currently assume, whether it makes your label apply to me or not. The truth is the truth, popular or not. Further, the thread is not about whether I am a racist or not. I took exception to your inaccurate redefining of racism, as it is a bogus line of reasoning I have heard too many times.

Go back and read the rest of my post, hopefully I will be able to get back to that thread later, but I assume you would not accept a definition of racism that would make you racist. Anyway, what it comes down to is if we consider racism an act or a belief.

to quote Biko:

"--snip-- In other words one cannot be racist unless he has power to subjugate."

I admired Biko and what he tried to do however if he wrote this it is as mistaken as the University of Delawares position on racism and colour. As for definitions, I don't think there is a simpler or better one than Jamesrage's dictionary definition on the first page.

Back
Top Bottom