• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What makes a criminal?

What makes a criminal?

• Total voters

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
What makes a criminal?

1) The commission of a crime makes a criminal.

2) Conviction for commission of a crime makes a criminal.

What makes a criminal?

The commission of a crime makes one a criminal, ipso post facto.

Many criminals are never caught and/or are prosecuted (ex: murders, thieves) - they are still criminals.

gum.jpg

Then there is the more squishy version - people who don't adhere to societies norms of what is criminal and what isn't, depending on where you are.

In New York, I can chew gum. In Singapore I cannot. If I get caught, I get a spanking. Or worse.

Criminality is portable.

What makes a criminal?

If I *had* to pick between the two, I guess I would say "conviction." IMHO, you need an "other" option.

Criminal, to me, has been rendered meaningless, in a sense. Many "crimes" are victimless. There are quite a few laws that I don't agree with, that benefit no one, particularly drug crimes, such as possession. It's hard for me to say "criminal" -- and literally ruin the so-called 'offenders' lives-- when I don't see the crime to begin with.

Not trying to be picky or difficult, it's just a complex issue...for me, anyway. :)

The commission of a crime makes one a criminal, ipso post facto.

Many criminals are never caught and/or are prosecuted (ex: murders, thieves) - they are still criminals.

Good point, I very much agree. :thumbs:

What makes a criminal?

#1 - The actual commission of a crime does make one a criminal.
#2 - Conviction makes one a convict under the law but it does not necessarily make them a criminal.

A person who willingly and knowingly breaks society's criminal laws is far more a criminal than someone who just happens to break the law in an unplanned act.

I was the 9th person to choose option 1. Finally, I'm in the majority of some sort. ;)

The nature of the "crime" should also be a factor in this consideration.

For example, many people were prosecuted, but fewer were convicted, of violating the US law Fugitive Slave Act of 1850. That statute made it a criminal act to assist a slave in escaping his slave status. Fortunately conscientious and brave jurors exercised jury nullification and the Act was eventually repealed.

Nonetheless, those who were convicted under that state were convicted felons. But were they really criminals?

I suspect there are far more rapes that go unreported or unprosecuted than there are murders, but who knows?

If one is to believe Juanita Broaddrick's story told on 60 Minutes many years ago, Bill Clinton forced himself upon her, had sex with her against her wishes, in a hotel room in Little Rock when he was running for high office in the state. She did not report it until years later.

If her claims are true, Bro Bill raped her and was never convicted for it. Is he a criminal, not convicted?

What makes a criminal?

It depends on the intent of the question ie the use of the term. A person is a criminal, when she has committed the evil. That might even apply to persons that do something evil, though, it was legal in the jurisdiction. This is usually the case with mass murder and such atrocities.
In all these cases the person is factually a criminal.

De jure she becomes a criminal, when the judge signs the document. From then on it is legal to call him a criminal.

View attachment 67204548

Then there is the more squishy version - people who don't adhere to societies norms of what is criminal and what isn't, depending on where you are.

In New York, I can chew gum. In Singapore I cannot. If I get caught, I get a spanking. Or worse.

Criminality is portable.

There are interesting questions attached to legal systems based in relativism.

you may commit a crime, and never actually see justice for that crime

because we place a large onus on the prosecution to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you, and you alone were the perpetrator

that doesnt absolve you of the crime....that just means you dont have to pay for it

you are a criminal in both cases

Criminal | Definition of Criminal by Merriam-Webster

Simple Definition of criminal

: involving illegal activity : relating to crime

: relating to laws that describe crimes rather than to laws about a person's rights

: morally wrong

Full Definition of criminal

: relating to, involving, or being a crime <criminal neglect>

: relating to crime or to the prosecution of suspects in a crime <criminal statistics> <brought criminal action>

: guilty of crime; also : of or befitting a criminal <a criminal mind>

: disgraceful

criminally adverb

Back
Top Bottom