• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Liz Cheney has figured out about Donald Trump and 2024

"On Wednesday, Rep. Liz Cheney was asked a straightforward question by Fox News' Neil Cavuto: "If Donald Trump were the 2024 nominee, would you support him?" And the Wyoming House Republican gave an equally straightforward answer: "I would not." ... her outspokenness about Trump could cost her in 2022 as he works to primary her, which the ex-President added to with this statement released Wednesday night: "She is so far down in Wyoming polls that the only way she can win is numerous candidates running against her and splitting the vote. Hopefully, that won't happen. I'll make an Endorsement soon!"

... it's very hard to imagine how Trump doesn't remain deeply damaged goods to the general electorate in 2024. Democrats -- even many moderate and conservative ones -- will NEVER consider voting for him because of his actions in office, all of which culminated with January 6 and its aftermath. And it's almost as hard to imagine how independents, who tend to be swayed by the mood of the country and the economy, would opt for Trump amid what is almost certain to be a boom time in the country -- economically and otherwise -- following the battle against the Covid-19 virus.

...So, why is Cheney on an island in seeing how little Trump has of winning -- when compared to the rest of the 2024 aspirants? Well, she isn't. She's just the only one (or one of the only ones) willing to say it. Because the paradox of Trump is that while he is utterly damaged in a general election, he may well be unbeatable in a Republican presidential primary. Which is why the likes of former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley ruled out running in 2024 if Trump is in the race because, well, what's the point?

Fear remains the dominant emotion when it comes to how Republican elected officials view Trump. And it's that fear that could well relegate them to a near-certain second Trump loss in 2024 unless they find some political courage between now and then."

Link

I think she is right that Trump is not the path to victory in the general election in 2024. But is he unbeatable in the Republican primary? All the other speculative candidates: Hawley, Cruz, Cotton, Haley, Hogan, DeSantis, Rubion, etc. will be happy to throw dirt on his sagging fortunes should they decline (or atr the very least do nothing to lift them up). And I don't see his fortunes going anywhere but down. If they do, will Cheney be rewarded for getting their first, or blamed for getting the ball rolling?
The trumpublicans are in a tough spot. They allowed their cowardice to sustain and prop up this evil moron trump... now they're stuck supporting him.. it will be their downfall and boy.. after what they've done to this nation.. no one deserves tragedy more than today's trumpublicans.

The trumpublicans are in a tough spot. They allowed their cowardice to sustain and prop up this evil moron trump... now they're stuck supporting him.. it will be their downfall and boy.. after what they've done to this nation.. no one deserves tragedy more than today's trumpublicans.
Uh huh, after what you people put us through with Obama, we will soon see.

"On Wednesday, Rep. Liz Cheney was asked a straightforward question by Fox News' Neil Cavuto: "If Donald Trump were the 2024 nominee, would you support him?" And the Wyoming House Republican gave an equally straightforward answer: "I would not." ... her outspokenness about Trump could cost her in 2022 as he works to primary her, which the ex-President added to with this statement released Wednesday night: "She is so far down in Wyoming polls that the only way she can win is numerous candidates running against her and splitting the vote. Hopefully, that won't happen. I'll make an Endorsement soon!"

... it's very hard to imagine how Trump doesn't remain deeply damaged goods to the general electorate in 2024. Democrats -- even many moderate and conservative ones -- will NEVER consider voting for him because of his actions in office, all of which culminated with January 6 and its aftermath. And it's almost as hard to imagine how independents, who tend to be swayed by the mood of the country and the economy, would opt for Trump amid what is almost certain to be a boom time in the country -- economically and otherwise -- following the battle against the Covid-19 virus.

...So, why is Cheney on an island in seeing how little Trump has of winning -- when compared to the rest of the 2024 aspirants? Well, she isn't. She's just the only one (or one of the only ones) willing to say it. Because the paradox of Trump is that while he is utterly damaged in a general election, he may well be unbeatable in a Republican presidential primary. Which is why the likes of former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley ruled out running in 2024 if Trump is in the race because, well, what's the point?

Fear remains the dominant emotion when it comes to how Republican elected officials view Trump. And it's that fear that could well relegate them to a near-certain second Trump loss in 2024 unless they find some political courage between now and then."

Link

I think she is right that Trump is not the path to victory in the general election in 2024. But is he unbeatable in the Republican primary? All the other speculative candidates: Hawley, Cruz, Cotton, Haley, Hogan, DeSantis, Rubion, etc. will be happy to throw dirt on his sagging fortunes should they decline (or atr the very least do nothing to lift them up). And I don't see his fortunes going anywhere but down. If they do, will Cheney be rewarded for getting their first, or blamed for getting the ball rolling?
After Joe drags the country into one mess after another Donald Trump will have a huge resurgence and he will be back. Cheney betrayed the republican voters with her behavior.

LOL, he'll be running himself. You are delusional.
I doubt his ego would allow himself to face certain defeat again, but who knows he isnt very smart and just may

I doubt his ego would allow himself to face certain defeat again, but who knows he isnt very smart and just may
He won't be defeated, because the immigration and open borders policy is going to drag Biden down no matter how "good" the economy is. Plus, you all won't have a virus anymore on your side. Thanks President Trump for the vaccines by the way.

After Joe drags the country into one mess after another Donald Trump will have a huge resurgence and he will be back. Cheney betrayed the republican voters with her behavior.
Exactly, liberals really don't have a clue.

He won't be defeated, because the immigration and open borders policy is going to drag Biden down no matter how "good" the economy is. Plus, you all won't have a virus anymore on your side. Thanks President Trump for the vaccines by the way.
You are mistaken about not having a virus. Why do you think there are so many variants always popping up? Leftists are going to keep COVID-19 fascism alive if they have to push it to Variant #952,461,873.

Americans have been so conditioned by leftist indoctrination centers (a.k.a. public schools) that they will obey like sheep. If Biden where to order the entire population into concentration camps tomorrow, the overwhelming majority of Americans would gleefully comply. If you don't believe me, just take a look at the number of people STILL wearing masks and social distancing. Everyone of them are government slaves who will obey any command given, regardless whether it violates their individual rights or not.

He has 0 chance of winning again. He only beat Hillary because she was so hated.

Uh huh, after what you people put us through with Obama, we will soon see.

AFTER WHAT WE PEOPLE PUT YOU THROUGH?! You see you're a bigot, like most trumpublicans and you don't even realize it.

So you're comparing Obama, one of the best and most popular presidents in history to that evil moron trump. - BOTH MICHELLE AND BARACK OBAMA ARE STILL INCREDIBLY POPULAR YOU KNOW! <--- boy that must really piss you off :)

I'm so sorry there are black Americans smarter than you. That must go against everything you believe in.

I am so tired of racist trumpublicans.

Sorry, but it's too stupid of a question to speculate about. If you want to know how I think she'd do as a candidate, I think she'd be out sooner than Kamala was. There is simply no chance she'd ever be the Republican nominee.

I asked who one would support if Trump isn't the nominee. Hardly a stupid question. However, I had not considered that there maybe people so deeply devoted to Mr. Trump that such a possibility is simply beyond their grasp.

Does that apply to you? Is it beyond your grasp that someone other than Trump could be the nominee?

Every single thing they report is a fabrication for political gain and political harm. The depths of the corrupt swamp is simply stunning.
Every single thing? Really? This from an avid supporter of Fox and other RW media like Newsmax is what's stunning.

The south of the border mess began with Reagan,Bush and the second Bush began the illusion of a wall and wished he was a dictator his own words then comes RUMP ignorance is bliss yet leading them all by the nose was big oil Koch thinkers ....then again Bush was an oil name too.

Liz Cheney is still a Cheney no matter what though her feet are closer to the ground than right winger Dick.

I don't think Liz Cheney will survive a primary in Wyoming but I would not underestimate the power of her voice when it comes to exposing Trump for what he is and what he did. If Trump runs again in 2024, which I doubt he does, he will lose just like he lost in 2020. The majority of Americans despise him and, after January 6th, many more saw him for what he was. The country will not choose to be put through another 4 years of his hateful and destructive rhetoric. Of course, voting restrictions being put in place could influence outcomes, especially the undemocratic ability of legislatures to overturn the vote of the people and control election offices.

However, as I said, I don't think he runs rather I think he looks for ways to make money for himself and control the Republican party. He will want all the glory for a win but he will not put himself in a position to personally lose again. If the Republican party chooses the right candidate I think they could pull back many of the voters Trump has alienated in the last 4 years and pull off a win.....but Trump will likely make sure it is not a candidate who can do that but rather a candidate he can control should they win.

Last edited:
[Q
Sadly, Trump's credibility, especially with Russia, was so shot, not even Republican senators believed him.
Dems devoted themselves to destroying Trump's credibility and used any unethical, untrue, and underhanded manner to try to get to their goal. Unfortunately, they had quite a bit of success. Then, one story by one story, the truth is trickling out and Trump was right all along about all the underhanded/unfair tricks and lies of the Dems - but, just as the Dems hoped, the news has moved on and the corrections and retractions are tiny stories by the MSM and Dem culprits, when the original false accusations were headlines. It's really quite pathetic.

I certainly think the border has the potential of dragging Biden down more than anything else - at least, for now. But, we'll see what other disasters he creates by 2024.

Oh, they have a clue. They certainly aren't confident Trump couldn't or wouldn't be elected president again, despite what they are saying. They'd be stupid not to wonder if he could pull it off and I don't think they're that stupid.

But, in case you were talking about Dems thinking Cheney might stand a chance of being the nominee - you are right. If they think that, they don't have a clue.

I asked who one would support if Trump isn't the nominee. Hardly a stupid question. However, I had not considered that there maybe people so deeply devoted to Mr. Trump that such a possibility is simply beyond their grasp.

Does that apply to you? Is it beyond your grasp that someone other than Trump could be the nominee?
Gosh no. There are several potential candidates I think would be great as a nominee. I can't remember if it was you or someone else that listed 7 names. I'd be highly supportive of 3 of those 7 and some others not listed.

Thats what was said in 2016. It only shifted in 2020 because of a crooked partisan press, a bunch of lies by the DOJ and FBI, and finally a covid pandemic and the democrats illegally altering state voting regulations in about a half dozen state to allow for a lot of suspicious voting. The "Donald" will either run or determine who does because he is still the most dominant man in the party.

[Q

Dems devoted themselves to destroying Trump's credibility and used any unethical, untrue, and underhanded manner to try to get to their goal. Unfortunately, they had quite a bit of success. Then, one story by one story, the truth is trickling out and Trump was right all along about all the underhanded/unfair tricks and lies of the Dems - but, just as the Dems hoped, the news has moved on and the corrections and retractions are tiny stories by the MSM and Dem culprits, when the original false accusations were headlines. It's really quite pathetic.

Interesting. The stories Im seeing now are confirming Trump's Russia collusion. GOP senators might be stupid, but their own investigation confirmed it. Perhaps you ate misinformed.

Thats what was said in 2016. It only shifted in 2020 because of a crooked partisan press, a bunch of lies by the DOJ and FBI, and finally a covid pandemic and the democrats illegally altering state voting regulations in about a half dozen state to allow for a lot of suspicious voting. The "Donald" will either run or determine who does because he is still the most dominant man in the party.

Trump. The forever victim.

Oh, they have a clue. They certainly aren't confident Trump couldn't or wouldn't be elected president again, despite what they are saying. They'd be stupid not to wonder if he could pull it off and I don't think they're that stupid.

Who would you support if Trump doesn't pursue or win the nomination?

Back
Top Bottom