• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What kind of wine did you have lately?

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

In my case it was a mulled wine at one of the Christmas Markets here.

Mulled wine, also known as spiced wine, is a beverage usually made with red wine along with various mulling spices and sometimes raisins. It is served hot or warm and is alcoholic, although there are non-alcoholic versions of it. It is a traditional drink during winter, especially around Christmas.[2] It is served at Christmas markets in Europe.

Mulled wine - Wikipedia

Apart from that I had a fine local Pinot Noir - or Spätburgunder.

Gluwein, the missus’ favorite. She has mugs from many markets. I am not a wine drinker, but gluwein and the Christmas market ambiance is compelling.....

... but gluwein and the Christmas market ambiance is compelling.....

You are so right!
There may be some people who look down on Glühwein - but I love it as well.

That said - I also enjoy "real wine!"

I keep quite a bit of wine on hand, mostly Italian but by no means exclusively.

My "go to" is often a Nero d'Avola but I also drink Barolos, Brunellos, Primitivos, Amarones and Sangioveses regularly. Outside of Italian wines I also tend to drink a few California Cabernets, French Bordeauxs and Medocs, a few Ports and....well, I kind of like wine so I'm rather enthusiastic to procure and drink anything that strikes my fancy at the time.

Husband loves wines from all over. We had a dry Bocksbeutel. That was very yummy, although a good Chianti is nothing to sneeze at.
After dinner go to, rarely though, is a good Tokaji.

We had a dry Bocksbeutel.

Great! I happen to come from a wine growing area - and we also have the privilege to use Bocksbeutels for our wines.

Great! I happen to come from a wine growing area - and we also have the privilege to use Bocksbeutels for our wines.

Hey stiltskin. We only occasionally order wines because it can get rather costly. You are lucky to live in an area with a great selection.

We only occasionally order wines because it can get rather costly.

@ about your Bocksbeutel

May I ask where it was from?
From Franconia or from the region around Baden-Baden? :)

I keep quite a bit of wine on hand, mostly Italian but by no means exclusively.

My "go to" is often a Nero d'Avola but I also drink Barolos, Brunellos, Primitivos, Amarones and Sangioveses regularly. Outside of Italian wines I also tend to drink a few California Cabernets, French Bordeauxs and Medocs, a few Ports and....well, I kind of like wine so I'm rather enthusiastic to procure and drink anything that strikes my fancy at the time.

To be frank, I have only two criteria for wine: (1) Does it make me high and (2) Does it taste like vomit? :3oops:

But in addition to my best friend and her husband being wine people and traveling all over the world and shipping wines home, a family member's significant other works in a winery, and so I'm treated to a lot of interesting wines, many of which haven't gone public yet, and there are practice pairings at my house fairly frequently. Lots of experimentation at the moment with Sagrantino grapes.

What Wiki says about the Bocksbeutel:

This bottle shape is derived from that of field bottles, which were known already in antiquity, and which were manufactured with a flattened shape for practical purposes, for example to keep the bottle from rolling away on uneven ground.

The Bocksbeutel has been used for wine from Franconia at least since the early 18th century, initially for the wines from the region's most famous vineyard, the Würzburger Stein, and later for other Franconian wines, in particular those of better quality. The city council of Würzburg decided in 1728 that the best wines from the city's own winery, the Bürgerspital, should be filled in Bocksbeutel bottles.

More about it: Bocksbeutel - Wikipedia

@ about your Bocksbeutel

May I ask where it was from?
From Franconia or from the region around Baden-Baden? :)

Frankenwein, if memory serves

Mulled wine - Wikipedia

"Harry, you never take me to Miami anymore!"
Oh...sorry...I thought you said "whine". :lamo

We're not big wine drinkers, but we do buy a few bottles during the holidays. The one in the picture is the last we had, only available in the store for a couple of weeks a year, around Thanksgiving. Have a bottle of Decoy Zinfandel and Bellagio Chianti in the pantry.

75458073_812416135880613_5066823071624254308_n.jpg

Frankenwein, if memory serves

Yes, that's the home of the Bocksbeutel! :)
And because of our age-old connections with Würzburg we here in the region of Baden-Baden may also use the Bocksbeutel. :)

Yesterday in the evening I had a cold "Glühwein".
And it was fine!

You can buy bottles of ready-made Glühwein here.
All you have to do is to heat it up.

But I felt to lazy to heat it and tried it, as it was.
And it tasted delightful!
Like a normal good red wine - with a touch of Christmas flavour added!

Yesterday I had a fine "Regent" from our region here:

Regent is a dark-skinned inter-specific hybrid grape variety, used for making wine. It has both European (Vitis vinifera) and American vine species in its pedigree and a broad resistance against the most significant fungal diseases which affect grapes, such as downy mildew.
Regent (grape) - Wikipedia

Where have all the wine lovers gone?
Long time passing .....

Lost any interest?

I suppose you had some wine at Christmas? Or at the New Year? Or at some other occasions?

Nobody has had any wine for months?

Nobody has had any wine for months?

Just finished a week+ drinking holiday.

Anderson Valley to Clear Lake to Paso Robles.

Sampled 80+ wines, 20+ spirits and about 8 beers.

Highlights -

Wine-
Cache Creek Reserve Chardonnay
Scharffenberger sparkling wines. All of them. (Same guy behind Scharffen Berger chocolates) - Joined wine club
Castoro Cellers - Most of the wines. Zinfandel especially. - Joined wine club
Tobin James - Sampled those we don't get in the wine club. One of the few making good wine for under $20.

Beer -
Kelseyville Brewery - Damn nice atmosphere - good beer.

Liquor -
Re-Find Distillery - Samples we plenty with options to revisit. First Rye my wife ever liked
Red Soles - Absinth and Walnut liquor
KrowBar - Pink Gin for our daughter.

@ Fledermaus

I like Zinfandel very much! :peace

Mulled wine - Wikipedia

I have a friend who makes mulled wine during certain winter holidays, it is absolutely amazing.

beyond that, I tend to dislike wine unless its bourbon barrel aged, but I would just prefer the bourbon.

Back
Top Bottom