• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Kind Of US Government Do You Want?

What Type Of US Government Do You Want?

• Total voters

Moderate Right

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Was wondering how everyone felt about this.

Other: I want a mix of liberal and conservative values for different situations. Change just for change isn't necessarily good just as conservatism just for conservatism isn't necessarily good. America was never founded or run best with ALL liberal or ALL conservatism values.

Other: I want a mix of liberal and conservative values for different situations. Change just for change isn't necessarily good just as conservatism just for conservatism isn't necessarily good. America was never founded or run best with ALL liberal or ALL conservatism values.

Which conservative values do you favor?

Which conservative values do you favor?

Gun rights, Not sending foreign aid to countries that are hostile towards us and up until recently non-interventionism of nations but it's clear that went out the door with conservatives since they support meddling of other countries now.

Gun rights, Not sending foreign aid to countries that are hostile towards us and up until recently non-interventionism of nations but it's clear that went out the door with conservatives since they support meddling of other countries now.

Both parties have always favored meddling in other countries, for centuries.

I want a representative Democracy where the views of the majority of Americans are accurately represented while the basic human rights of minorities are protected against those who would trample them.

Both parties have always favored meddling in other countries, for centuries.

I'm not sure you can argue both parties have even truly existed for centuries, and you certainly can't argue that their policies and positions haven't changed drastically. The more important question is how have the last few decades gone? In that context, it has really only been the Republican Party that has advocated for and used military force to pre-emptively meddle in the affairs of any other country.

Political leanings of the government isn't nearly as important to me as is the intellectual acuity and dispassionate objectivity of POTUSes, legislators, administrators, and jurists.

I think of political affiliations and labels as little but a proxy invented to disabuse voters of having to actually examine and understand specific policy factors, measures and ideas.

Other. I want a layered (federal, state and local) government with each function handled at the lowest level of government possible with particular emphasis placed on keeping federal powers limited to those enumerated to that level of government by the Constitution.

I'm not sure you can argue both parties have even truly existed for centuries, and you certainly can't argue that their policies and positions haven't changed drastically. The more important question is how have the last few decades gone? In that context, it has really only been the Republican Party that has advocated for and used military force to pre-emptively meddle in the affairs of any other country.

There are many variations and intangibles, such as Obama spying on other countries, who were our friends.

Other: As small as possible.

Neither Party is giving me what I want.

Even though I am for a much smaller government that is not some monstrous bureaucracy, we are the United States Of America, which needs a federal government to hold us together as well as state governments in which to handle more local issues. We shouldn't be like the EU, which is a large somewhat solid unit, all with almost totally different laws and governments. We don't really want to be the 50 United Countries of America.

Government that does not over reach. Reasonably conservative and protective of the civil liberties of citizens. One that is concerned with the rights of its citizens first, then with our position in the global scheme of things.

You would have to completely ignore the Obama administration in order to believe this. Also, who is it criticizing Trump for actually trying to pull out of Afghanistan? In regards to foreign policy and military interventions both parties have completely bought into using military intervention in meddling in foreign countries.

You would have to completely ignore the Obama administration in order to believe this.
Name the instance where he pre-emptively started a conflict. He continued some that were started by Bush. He helped out with some that were already in mid-swing, but there are no instances where he was the original agressor.

Also, who is it criticizing Trump for actually trying to pull out of Afghanistan?
Do you mean Syria? Last I checked Trump escalated in Afghanistan.

There are many variations and intangibles, such as Obama spying on other countries, who were our friends.

You seem to think of Bush and Trump. I don't recall any instances of Obama initiating any of this.

I voted moderate right.

I oppose most foreign interventions.

I support abortion rights through the first trimester. So, ladies, make a decision early.

I support civil rights and gay rights, within limits. I oppose boys pretending to be girls and playing in girls sports. I oppose them using the girls restroom.

I think we need a Constitutional amendment to limit the length of campaigns and publicly fund them.

I am for better trade agreements that level the playing field.

I support school choice.

I support unions up to a point.

I support walls where they will be effective, where the Border Patrol has asked for them.

I think we have enough gun control laws. Let's enforce what we've already got.

I hate ethanol gas.

Let's make sure that we are very, very clear on one thing: The kind of government that politicians such as AOC want is mainstream left. Not far-left.

If I ever suspect that a politician or candidate favors the outright demolition of capitalism, for example, then I'll call them far-left.

I guess asking for Constitutionalism is out of the question.

The problem you've got with this question is that everyone has their own interpretation of what the terms mean.

Well said. Who defines these groups? Why label them at all? How about we talk about issues rather than labels? For instance, is Medicare a far left concept today? I doubt if anyone over the age of 65 thinks it is anything but wonderful including the most right wing conservative in the country. So if you like it when you get to 65, why would you not like it when you are 25? We could easily tax ourselves for it during our entire lives and work on making it more efficient and effective. Is this some far left communist plot or just extending what works for some to everyone?

I would describe my views as European center left. Basically, I support the status quo social programs that most other first world nations have had for decades.

Let's make sure that we are very, very clear on one thing: The kind of government that politicians such as AOC want is mainstream left. Not far-left.

If I ever suspect that a politician or candidate favors the outright demolition of capitalism, for example, then I'll call them far-left.

AOC is mainstream left? Really? This is the US, not the world. What candidates running for US president do you consider favor the outright demolition of capitalism? If AOC is mainstream, where does Biden and some others fit in? Your post is ridiculous.

Other. I want a layered (federal, state and local) government with each function handled at the lowest level of government possible with particular emphasis placed on keeping federal powers limited to those enumerated to that level of government by the Constitution.

I was just going to say -- the government formed in 1789 was pretty darn tootin...

Back
Top Bottom