• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Kind Of US Government Do You Want?

What Type Of US Government Do You Want?

• Total voters
Name the instance where he pre-emptively started a conflict. He continued some that were started by Bush. He helped out with some that were already in mid-swing, but there are no instances where he was the original agressor.

Do you mean Syria? Last I checked Trump escalated in Afghanistan.

Syria, Libya, Yemen, Somalia and Pakistan......Obama launched airstrikes or military raids in at least 7 countries that we know of and is the only 2 term President in history to have been at war throughout his tenure.

Trump is being ripped up and down by both parties for trying to pull the troops out of Afghanistan.

I voted Other. I want a Federated Republic. You know, the government that the Constitution says that we are...

Other. I want a layered (federal, state and local) government with each function handled at the lowest level of government possible with particular emphasis placed on keeping federal powers limited to those enumerated to that level of government by the Constitution.

Agreed 100%!

Other. I want a layered (federal, state and local) government with each function handled at the lowest level of government possible with particular emphasis placed on keeping federal powers limited to those enumerated to that level of government by the Constitution.

Shockingly, I'm going to agree with my fellow libertarian here.

I will say that the options on the pole are more of a line and that is a bit limiting. For instance, as much as I want smaller government, I believe in certain social programs and the unfortunate need for progressive taxation. It doesn't really fit on a line very well vs. a graph

It would great if more wanted that. It would solve much of the polarization and hatred in politics we see today.

Shockingly, I'm going to agree with my fellow libertarian here.

I will say that the options on the pole are more of a line and that is a bit limiting. For instance, as much as I want smaller government, I believe in certain social programs and the unfortunate need for progressive taxation. It doesn't really fit on a line very well vs. a graph

One can have a quite progressive (federal income) taxation system with a single flat rate (of 25%?) - it simply requires the addition of a generous, yet truly standard, deduction (of $40K?) and the elimination of any and all other deductions, credits, exclusions and special accounting methods.

One can have a quite progressive (federal income) taxation system with a single flat rate (of 25%?) - it simply requires the addition of a generous, yet truly standard, deduction (of $40K?) and the elimination of any and all other deductions, credits, exclusions and special accounting methods.

I've personally always said that we should be able to fit the tax code on a post it note. The deductions and loopholes and everything else are what makes it a mess and it's all used to turn it into a political tool. Bury changes in 50,000 pages and you can pretend you are serving your base. Change 10 characters on a post it and you have to be honest.

Was wondering how everyone felt about this.

A president who knows what he is doing, listens to his advisors, reads all the information and makes an intelligent decision even if not everyone agrees with it. That is what a president should be doing regardless of party.

I've personally always said that we should be able to fit the tax code on a post it note. The deductions and loopholes and everything else are what makes it a mess and it's all used to turn it into a political tool. Bury changes in 50,000 pages and you can pretend you are serving your base. Change 10 characters on a post it and you have to be honest.

Most (90%?) of the federal income tax code is dedicated to altering (they call it adjusting) the definition of income based on how, or upon who, that income was later spent. A bit was added to try to justify taxing income differently based on its source as if the amount of money later spent differs based on whether it came from rents/interest received, wages earned or goods sold (and then further fine tuned based on how long the goods were held before sale). Crap like that might matter in a consumption tax but has no place in an income tax.

That is what happens when the federal government is granted a new power - the 16A simply allowed the taxation of income from all sources to raise federal revenue not blanket permission to conduct a social engineering experiment with everyone's spending habits. CJ Roberts teamed up with Obama to take that concept one giant leap sideways (forward and backward?) by adding the power to add tax penalties (non-user fees?) for not having spent your income (politically?) correctly on the purchase of a specific 'private' good/service.

Was wondering how everyone felt about this.

a right wing libertarian oriented government where the tenth amendment is strongly enforced by federal courts, the commerce clause interpreted consistent with the obvious intent of the founders, and the states having more power while the federal government is restricted to its enumerated powers.

At the Federal and State level of government I would want a "moderate to the right" form of government, most so at the Federal level. At the local level of government what ever the people wanted within the laws of both Federal and State levels of government would be acceptable.

Back
Top Bottom