• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Kind Of Conservative are you?

What Are You?

• Traditionalist conservative

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neoconservative

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ChezC3

Relentless Thinking Fury
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I see a lot of conservatives on here and am curious

Which one do you identify with closest?

Traditionalist conservatism
—Opposition to rapid change in governmental and societal institutions. This kind of conservatism is anti-ideological insofar as it emphasizes means (slow change) over ends (any particular form of government). To the traditionalist, whether one arrives at a right- or left-wing government is less important than whether change is effected through rule of law rather than through revolution and sudden innovation.

Christian conservatism—Conservative Christians are primarily interested in family values. Typical positions include the view that the United States was founded as a Christian nation, that abortion is wrong, that there should be prayer in state schools, and that marriage should be defined as between one man and one woman and not between two members of the same sex. Many attack the profanity and sexuality in the media and movies.

Limited government conservatism
—Limited government conservatives look for a decreased role of the federal government. They follow Thomas Jefferson and James Madison in their suspicion of a powerful federal government.

Neoconservatism—A modern form of conservatism that supports a more assertive, interventionist foreign policy, aimed at promoting democracy abroad. It is tolerant of an activist government at home, but is focused mostly on international affairs. Neoconservatism was first described by a group of disaffected liberals, and thus Irving Kristol, usually credited as its intellectual progenitor, defined a neoconservative as "a liberal who was mugged by reality." Although originally regarded as an approach to domestic policy (the founding instrument of the movement, Kristol's The Public Interest periodical, did not even cover foreign affairs), through the influence of figures like Dick Cheney, Robert Kagan, Richard Perle, Kenneth Adelman and (Irving's son) Bill Kristol, it has become most famous for its association with the foreign policy of the George W. Bush administration. Many of the nation's most prominent and influential conservatives during the two terms of the Bush administration were considered "neoconservative" in their ideological orientation.[216]

Paleoconservatism—In part a rebirth of the Old Right, arising in the 1980s in reaction to neoconservatism, stresses tradition, especially Christian tradition and the importance to society of the traditional family. Some, Samuel P. Huntington for example, argue that multiracial, multi-ethnic, and egalitarian states are inherently unstable.[217] Paleoconservatives are generally isolationist, and suspicious of foreign influence. The magazines Chronicles and The American Conservative are generally considered to be paleoconservative in nature.

Libertarian conservatism – A fusion with libertarianism, this type emphasizes a strict interpretation of the Constitution, particularly with regard to federal power. Libertarian conservatism is constituted by a broad, sometimes conflicted, coalition including pro-business social moderates, those favoring more rigid enforcement of states' rights, individual liberty activists, and many of those who place their socially liberal ideology ahead of their fiscal beliefs. This mode of thinking tends to espouse laissez-faire economics and a critical view of the federal government. Libertarian conservatives' emphasis on personal freedom often leads them to have social positions contrary to those of social conservatives. The libertarian branch of conservatism may have similar disputes that isolationist paleoconservatives would with neoconservatives. However, libertarian conservatives may be more militarily interventionist or support a greater degree of military strength than other libertarians. Contrarily, a strong preference for local government puts libertarian conservatives in frequent opposition to international government.

Conservatism in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or do you reject these descriptions, if so than please provide your own.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as a libertarian conservative. Those things are mutually exclusive.

I used to identify myself as more of a libertarian. I didn't see my strong opposition to abortion as in conflict with this, as it stemmed from my belief in inalienable human rights (if you believe than an unborn child is a human being, then one no more has a right to kill it than one doe to kill any other child).

Then I realized that libertarianism wasn't really possible absent a strong civil society. Mothers and Children require support, and that support will either come from a father, or a government. Those who get their support from the government will be far more likely to acquiesce or see the benefit in allowing said government to control or limit their decisions. The same is true of others who, at one point or another in their life, require help. If they do not have strong civil institutions to rely on, they (and others) will insist that government fill the gap.

Libertarian/Conservative although I'm a Green, so it is certainly not all inclusive.

I've often wondered how come there isn't more conservation in conservatism...:confused:

I've often wondered how come there isn't more conservation in conservatism...:confused:

Well it's a fair point - and it speaks to the dramatic differences between European and American "conserv"atives - American conservatives are more traditional 18th-19th Century Liberals with a strong attachment to civil society functions - family, faith, etc. European conservatives (outside of the Briths) nave no Liberal filter.

Of those choices: limited government conservative.

I also would say I am a fiscal conservative who likes there is a Libertarian faction of the Republican Party.

There is no such thing as a libertarian conservative. Those things are mutually exclusive.

On the contrary, I'd say they're essentially synonyms, to the extent that when you see a nominal "conservative" arguing for increased or more centralized government power, you are seeing someone abandoning principles for shortsighted personal gain.

I self-identify as a neo-anti-federalist, which places me in the limited-government conservative mold.

2 things.

1st thing: Conservatives are very much about conservation. I'm pretty sure you're confusing "preservation" with "conservation". Liberals think in terms of preservation; nature should be looked at, not used. Conservatives think in terms of conservation; natural resources are to be used and managed.

2nd thing: You are confusing "conservative" with "conserve".

con·ser·va·tive (kn-sûrv-tv)
adj.
1. Favoring traditional views and values; tending to oppose change.
2. Traditional or restrained in style: a conservative dark suit.
3. Moderate; cautious: a conservative estimate.

con·serve (kn-sûrv)
v. con·served, con·serv·ing, con·serves
v.tr.
a. To protect from loss or harm; preserve: calls to conserve our national heritage in the face of bewildering change.
b. To use carefully or sparingly, avoiding waste: kept the thermostat lower to conserve energy.
2. To keep (a quantity) constant through physical or chemical reactions or evolutionary changes.
3. To preserve (fruits) with sugar.
v.intr.
To economize: tried to conserve on fuel during the long winter.

Well it's a fair point - and it speaks to the dramatic differences between European and American "conserv"atives - American conservatives are more traditional 18th-19th Century Liberals with a strong attachment to civil society functions - family, faith, etc. European conservatives (outside of the Briths) nave no Liberal filter.

Yes, more about preserving than conserving, but then they'd be preservatives, and that just doesn't have the same ring...

2 things.

1st thing: Conservatives are very much about conservation. I'm pretty sure you're confusing "preservation" with "conservation". Liberals think in terms of preservation; nature should be looked at, not used. Conservatives think in terms of conservation; natural resources are to be used and managed.

2nd thing: You are confusing "conservative" with "conserve".

con·ser·va·tive (kn-sûrv-tv)
adj.
1. Favoring traditional views and values; tending to oppose change.
2. Traditional or restrained in style: a conservative dark suit.
3. Moderate; cautious: a conservative estimate.

con·serve (kn-sûrv)
v. con·served, con·serv·ing, con·serves
v.tr.
a. To protect from loss or harm; preserve: calls to conserve our national heritage in the face of bewildering change.
b. To use carefully or sparingly, avoiding waste: kept the thermostat lower to conserve energy.
2. To keep (a quantity) constant through physical or chemical reactions or evolutionary changes.
3. To preserve (fruits) with sugar.
v.intr.
To economize: tried to conserve on fuel during the long winter.

I think you're being way too serious for a Wed morning. It was a play on words. I know full well rank and file --attached to their bible and guns -- conservatives, the sportsmen, are the best conservationists. The Big Bank Hanks, not so much...

based on the ones you posted...

In terms of Government at the federal level probably a moderate Hawkish Libertarian Conservative, in terms of societal notions and some more local type of government I probably lean more towards paleoconservatism.

Yes, yes, please mix and match I just happened to see that on wiki and figured it was a good place to start, add your own, create a new one, what have you.

Follow up Question,

Do all of you as conservatives see something of yourselves in the other branches of conservatism outside of what you identify yourselves as or does the rest of your political makeup come from elsewhere?

No, no I haven't. Why?

I thinking looking at an electoral map would show you how foolish your point about conservation and conservatives is.

I think it also shows you just how successful the Democrat party is in their advertising and how unsuccessful Republicans are.

I thinking looking at an electoral map would show you how foolish your point about conservation and conservatives is.

I think it also shows you just how successful the Democrat party is in their advertising and how unsuccessful Republicans are.

Well, tell me this, have you ever, in your life, walked in to a McDonald's and received a Big Mac that looked like this

mcdonalds-big-mac-with-reflection.jpg

I didn't think so...So much for advertising...

and you're still not explaining yourself on the map thing, maybe I need more coffee, but...

A blend of several but mostly Christian conservative, who deviates somewhat from the definition offered. Instead of prayer in state schools, I prefer giving parents the option of being able to send their children to a more comprehensive privately operated faith-based school funded with tax credits. I completely dismiss the argument that suggests it would violate the First amendment. No one would be forced to send their child to a faith-based school, families who prefer secular institutions would continue to have those choices and public funding already exists for voluntary participation in faith-based organizations including Pell Grants, Federal student loans and the GI Bill used at faith-based colleges, military funerals, chaplaincy programs at government institutions from police and fire departments, the military and even the Congress of the United States. Worse case scenario, a system whereby core academic subjects can be publicly funded and faith related classes, etc. can be privately funded similar to the Faith Based Initiative that has bi-partisan support.

For a variety of reasons I don't feel great about government operated consumer services, especially when the government run "business" holds a monopoly or a monopoly on those with limited resources. When it happens, the "corporate culture" of the government run business gravitates to the most horrible customer service you've ever experienced. Employees who interact with the public know you have no other choice but them and in addition to insensitivity to the needs of the public, it is mentally empowering for the government employee to throw their weight around letting you know loud and clear that they're in charge, at least that's been my experience. I once had to pick up a medical test for a relative at a government run hospital where most of the patients use government funded healthcare assistance. My relative has insurance but the government run hospital has one advanced piece of equipment the doctor wanted him to be tested on so he was sent there just for that one test. The arrogance, lack of compassion, insensitivity to other people's time and the general run around was something I'll never forget. Most of us I'm sure have stood in line for a half an hour at the Post Office. Some of us have even waited at a government office of some sort to be waited on while the employee who was sitting right there refused to help because they were on their break. This kind of thing doesn't happen in a free market where customers have the ability to walk right out of the door and use their competitor instead.

And the customer service experience is just one factor as to why I don't support government run monopolies. The public simply is not supportive of people getting rich who are on the government payroll. One big factor that drives people to work their butts off, be creative and innovative is the potential of life changing reward if they come up with something big. We would never have the iPhone, HDTVs, digital cameras, and the list goes on, if we relied on government and some guy with an income ceiling of a G-9 pay scale to invent and develop them. For similar reasons I also support federal legislation that guarantees a significant percentage of ownership rights to privately employed inventors on patents and not all of the rights going to the stock holders of the company they work for in an economy where having a job is essential.

I support lower corporate taxes but for companies that hire Americans and not those who outsource to cheap labor markets.

I support private investment accounts phasing out social security or in addition to social security.

I would have supported NASA's space exploration and interstate highway system when they were being developed even those some might have called it big government. I also support a national bullet train linking regional bullet train systems and government investment to prime the pump to advance emancipation from the Middle East through electric cars.

Despite being a registered Republican, I don't automatically hate the President of the United States or any politician who doesn't have an "-R" after his name. Things I like about President Obama are:

-The example he and his family have been in living out a strong culture of family values.
-Banking regulations that stopped credit card companies from arbitrarily raising interest rates on past purchases.
-Allowing people who are upside down in their mortgages to refinance to get lower rates.
-Not allowing banks to authorize NSF transactions when they think you have the money in the bank but they know you don't just so they can charge you NFS fees unless you agree to it.
-Strong support for Americans getting college degrees so we will have an advantage over third world labor markets our companies like to ship American jobs off to.

Not sure what kind of conservative that makes me. I think its RINO.

Well, tell me this, have you ever, in your life, walked in to a McDonald's and received a Big Mac that looked like this

View attachment 67149437

I didn't think so...So much for advertising...

and you're still not explaining yourself on the map thing, maybe I need more coffee, but...

I'm not sure I understand your point about advertising but just take a look at an electoral map, preferably one that goes to the county or ED level.

Look at the areas that are blue. Look at the areas that are red.

Now, where are you more likely to see natural wildlife?

I am a conservationist, more or less (even if it means admitting that Teddy bloody Roosevelt had a couple of good ideas in his fat megalomaniac bully head).

Never was tempted to call myself "conservative" though. Maybe this is purely linguistic: in my native languages, "konserwa" is the canned stuff that is, technically speaking, edible - when you run out of all other options. Not all that different from the (civilized) conservatism in politics, I guess ;)

http://www.tygielkultury.eu/10_12_2001/aktual/konserwa.jpg

I'm not sure I understand your point about advertising but just take a look at an electoral map, preferably one that goes to the county or ED level.

Look at the areas that are blue. Look at the areas that are red.

Now, where are you more likely to see natural wildlife?

The point was you don't always get what's advertised.

As to the map, I do see what you're saying I wanted to be clear though, and like I had told the other gentleman, it is the Big Bank Hanks I speak of, not the sportsmen or the rank and file necessarily that I was referring to.

I wasn't aware there were different kinds of Conservative. Non of those definitions apply to me, and I don't offer a definition. My positions are my positions and I have no interest in establishing label for it.

Great, thanks for stopping by.

Back
Top Bottom