• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What it's like to have Trump Derangement Syndrome and how you can help people overcome it.

Captain Adverse

Classical Liberal Sage
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
The thread title comes from the video source, and is not intended to "incite" anyone.

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I think it is most appropriate for the "Self-Help" sub-forum. The hope is that a review will at least create a crack toward opening some people's minds about the current political dialogue.

The following video is from that young Left-Leaning psychologist who has been catching hell after publishing her own realization of, and overcoming her own self-labeled "TDS" mental state.

Now I realize some people will automatically reject any possible suggestion that minds need to be opened. Instead thinking it is some kind of attack rather than an honest attempt to improve the political dialogue regardless of one's foundational views. That is not the case.

She is talking about Cognitive Distortions. Cognitive Distortions are when we don’t see things the way they really are.

Citing a publication you can reference from the video, she list the symptoms of Cognitive Distortions, then applies them to the idea of self-recognition of "TDS":

1. Emotional Reasoning: Letting your feelings guide your interpretation of reality. “I really don’t like Trump, therefore I don’t like anything he does.”

2. Catastrophizing: Focusing on the worst possible outcome and seeing it as the most likely outcome. “If Trump does it, then it will be a disaster.”

3. Overgeneralizing: Perceiving a global pattern of negatives on the basis of a single incident. “Even if Trump does something right, he did this very bad thing in the past so it doesn’t matter.”

4. Dichotomous Thinking (black-and-white, all-or-nothing): Viewing events or people in all-or-nothing terms. “Trump’s actions were all a complete waste of time.”

5. Mind Reading: Assuming that you know what people think without having sufficient evidence of their thoughts. “Trump is racist!”

6. Labeling: Assigning global negative traits to yourself or others. Ex. “Trump is a rotten person.”

7. Negative Filtering: You focus almost exclusively on the negatives and seldom notice the positives. “Look at all the people who don’t like Trump.”

8. Discounting Positives: Claiming that the positive things you or others do are trivial, so that you can maintain a negative judgement. “Trump’s successes were so easy any rube could have done it, so it doesn’t matter.”

9. Blaming: Focusing on the other person as the source of your negative feelings; you refuse to take responsibility for changing yourself. “Trump is to blame for the way I feel now,” or “Trump has caused all my problems.”

As she points out, I do not offer this to change minds about Trump. The hope is some might gain self-awareness of how some of the above characteristics are being displayed; then how one might use this self-awareness to moderate reactions and responses in Forum debates.

Last edited:
I luv the Rights my **** don't stink mantra. Oh how they forget being inflicted with 25 years of Hillary Derangement Syndrome. TDS sufferers got a long way to go to catch up to the Righties decades long Hillary hangup.

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I think it is most appropriate for the "Self-Help" sub-forum. The hope is that a review will at least create a crack toward opening some people's minds about the current political dialogue.

The following video is from that young Left-Leaning psychologist who has been catching hell after publishing her own realization of, and overcoming her own self-labeled "TDS" mental state.

Now I realize some people will automatically reject any possible suggestion that minds need to be opened. Instead thinking it is some kind of attack rather than an honest attempt to improve the political dialogue regardless of one's foundational views. That is not the case.

She is talking about Cognitive Distortions. Cognitive Distortions are when we don’t see things the way they really are.

Citing a publication you can reference from the vide, these are the symptoms of TDS Cognitive Distortions:

1. Emotional Reasoning: Letting your feelings guide your interpretation of reality. “I really don’t like Trump, therefore I don’t like anything he does.”

2. Catastrophizing: Focusing on the worst possible outcome and seeing it as the most likely outcome. “If Trump does it, then it will be a disaster.”

3. Overgeneralizing: Perceiving a global pattern of negatives on the basis of a single incident. “Even if Trump does something right, he did this very bad thing in the past so it doesn’t matter.”

4. Dichotomous Thinking (black-and-white, all-or-nothing): Viewing event or people in all-or-nothing terms. “Trump’s actions were all a complete waste of time.”

5. Mind Reading: Assuming that you know what people think without having sufficient evidence of their thoughts. “Trump is racist!”

6. Labeling: Assigning global negative traits to yourself or others. Ex. “Trump is a rotten person.”

7. Negative Filtering: You focus almost exclusively on the negatives and seldom notice the positives. “Look at all the people who don’t like Trump.”

8. Discounting Positives: Claiming that the positive things you or others do are trivial, so that you can maintain a negative judgement. “Trump’s successes were so easy any rube could have done it, so it doesn’t matter.”

9. Blaming: Focusing on the other person as the source of your negative feelings; you refuse to take responsibility for changing yourself. “Trump is to blame for the way I feel now,” or “Trump has caused all my problems.”

As she points out, I do not offer this to change minds about Trump. The hope is some might gain self-awareness of how some of the above characteristics are being displayed; then how one might use this self-awareness to moderate reactions and responses.

For as long as it has been going on, and as far into the extremes as it has gotten, pretty much a forgone conclusion there's no possible reasoning or facts that can remediate the affliction.

Just a single example of far too many to count as to how bad and how extreme TDS has gotten:

90653064_2690122021205696_7916203980177276928_n.jpg

What it's like to have Trump Derangement Syndrome and how you can help people overcome it.

Only BIG PAIN can fix people when they go this wrong.

It is here.

Trump Devotion Syndrome is serious folks

Please give generously

LOL that describes about 90% of the libs in this forum.

Somewhere in this country right now a person is struggling with trump devotion syndrome.

Please....give generously

For as long as it has been going on, and as far into the extremes as it has gotten, pretty much a forgone conclusion there's no possible reasoning or facts that can remediate the affliction.

Just a single example of far too many to count as to how bad and how extreme TDS has gotten:

90653064_2690122021205696_7916203980177276928_n.jpg

Insert Obama as opposed to Trump and that is what is was like watching the right melt down on a daily basis for 8 years.

You can only avoid "TDS" by being like Captain Adverse and slavishly defending every single thing Trump does, deploying any lie to *get* the liberals, and ignoring any counter-points made to the prior stupid dishonesty.

There are people who are susceptible to deranged thoughts about anyone. There are also real threats to your well being and quality of life by deranged people in powerful positions. Did Cuba have Castro derangement syndrome? No.

At this point, Trump is just deranged and people know because it's real. Sometimes we just react to a real threat. 1/2 the republican party isn't catching Trump derangement syndrome, the guy is just a nut and they know he is. People all over the world think Trump is nuts. Good luck blaming all on a syndrome, as that is getting harder and harder to do.

Back
Top Bottom