• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What It Takes to Start a Fast-Food Franchise

I know two people who lost their franchises because of an inability to open the required number of locations within the time frame required under their agreement.

At one point, I was seriously thinking to buy into a Mrs. Fields cookies franchise for 70K. It was at the peak of the housing boom and before I gave it a second thought the economy crashed. Nevermind.

I love the idea of roach coaches with a gormet flair. But in my neck of the woods the licensing and permits made it unfeasible, if not impossible. I still entertain the idea occasionally and hope the gubbimint catches up with the 21st century.

The most important thing i feel should be to emphasize not having people work there who spit in other peoples' foods. The Eminem video The Real Slim Shady, the one where he spits in the womans' hamburger, marked me for life. As much as I can, I avoid having to order food from places I can't see it prepared before my eyes or if I don't trust the people working there. So like, there are about 5 McDonalds that I know of in my city, there may be a lot more, I only ever buy from one place because that's where I know for certain that the guy in charge is responsible. He received some award many years ago and he's still the guy running the show there.

At one point, I was seriously thinking to buy into a Mrs. Fields cookies franchise for 70K. It was at the peak of the housing boom and before I gave it a second thought the economy crashed. Nevermind.

I love the idea of roach coaches with a gormet flair. But in my neck of the woods the licensing and permits made it unfeasible, if not impossible. I still entertain the idea occasionally and hope the gubbimint catches up with the 21st century.

There was never political intent in the posting of this thread, but since it (food trucks) was brought up...

National Street Vending Initiative | The Institute for Justice

...there are several cities across the country that intentionally put such unnecessarily onerous restrictions on food trucks as to make them almost non-existent anyway. Fortunately, there are some organizations and people willing to fight.

I know two people who lost their franchises because of an inability to open the required number of locations within the time frame required under their agreement.

Most franchisees are single or multiple unit owners, however, if they buy a 'territory' then the opening of X number of units in a specified time comes into play. And yes, you can lose your franchise agreement for failure to do so, though most can be renegotiated if you have shown serious attempts to meet the designated number of openings.

Or try this route:

Yep, just need a gimmick or two, and a Honor Code. ;)

th

coffee-bike02.jpg

mrcoffee500.jpg

th

What we used to call the Ptomaine Train, along with a few other names. :lol:

Some are pretty good, if the O/O really cares about it. Others, absolutely not.

That is true even with franchise establishments, management and staff attitude control the end product's quality/safety even when the ingredients and appliances used are the same. The advantage of a mobile business is that you can more easily adapt to changes in the market place. Investing in a fixed location poses greater risks that your location, rather than the product offered, will not be as profitable you thought.

What it takes is a lot of capital.

I would never open a franchise...

Same here, they tend to cost a lot of money and you get very little in return.

Back
Top Bottom