• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What is your take on gays?

Mike 1967 said:
Depends on what you are asking

What do I think of Men who are Homosexual....or what do I think of the act of sex between two men ?

My answer would depend on the point of the question.
the question blatanly asks what you think of men, and women, who are gay. Read a little more into it next time.

democrat17 said:
the question blatanly asks what you think of men, and women, who are gay. Read a little more into it next time.

I think that they are men and women, the same as any other men and women.

I think they are gay, and I think you are vicious for trolling stereotypes. People should be approached on a one-to-one basis, and asking people questions about what they think about a certain group most certainly will not help.

An example:

"Douglas: What do you think of gays?
Anny: I like homosexuals.
Cynical Frank: So, you like heterosexuals less?
Anny: No, of course not!
Cynical Frank: Than does that not render your statement that you like them useless? If you like homosexuals just as much as heterosexuals and people of other sexuals preferences than your statement does not apply to what you think of gays, but rather to what you think of people? This either leads me to two conclusions. Either, you have no opinion on gays, and the fault lies with Douglas, or you are trying to cover up for your silly prejudices, and the fault lies still with Douglas for asking that question, but also with you for attributing character traits that are not inherent to the original categorisation.
Anny: Douglas, let's eat some pie!"

Mr U

liberal1 said:
I think the subject of homosexuality is all too often interelated with sex. Sex is one part of the attraction, but certaintly not the whole. Gays are all too often portrayed as "dirty, unclean damned souls" by the Church, which is nonsense, why can't homosexuals be treated as humans, not objects? Of course some Americans are too small minded to understand this, cause they're "good Bible lovin God fearin people," whatever man.
The Church (assuming you are referring to the Roman Catholic Church with the pope and so forth) doesn't teach that at all. I believe I have already stated that the church's official teaching from the Catechism is:

"The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. They do not choose their homosexual condition; for most of them it is a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition."

Seems like the church promotes homosexuals being viewed as people and not objects.

aps said:
Being homosexual is a "trial"? Does that mean that someone will "try" out to see what it is like to be with members of the same sex, but you assume that they will go back to being a heterosexual? Most of us heteros don't think about our sexuality in that we just knew we were attracted to the opposite sex. For gay people, they struggle with that because they realize they are different. It's not a decision they make consciously. I don't think they should be frowned upon because of this.
No it doesn't mean they are 'trying it'. The 'trial' of a heterosexual is to be chaste until marriage. It is merely pointing out that we are sinful people because of original sin and because of that we have countless trials of our faith during our life. It is merely pointing out that homosexuals have a different type of trial in regards to their sex life.

HU-210 said:
I think they are gay, and I think you are vicious for trolling stereotypes. People should be approached on a one-to-one basis, and asking people questions about what they think about a certain group most certainly will not help.

An example:

"Douglas: What do you think of gays?
Anny: I like homosexuals.
Cynical Frank: So, you like heterosexuals less?
Anny: No, of course not!
Cynical Frank: Than does that not render your statement that you like them useless? If you like homosexuals just as much as heterosexuals and people of other sexuals preferences than your statement does not apply to what you think of gays, but rather to what you think of people? This either leads me to two conclusions. Either, you have no opinion on gays, and the fault lies with Douglas, or you are trying to cover up for your silly prejudices, and the fault lies still with Douglas for asking that question, but also with you for attributing character traits that are not inherent to the original categorisation.
Anny: Douglas, let's eat some pie!"

Mr U
whatever dude, i'm not promoting stereotypes, there is something wrong with you if you think i am. anyway, the posts can be about individuals if they want, or they can stereotype, doesn't matter, i just wanted to know what people's opinion on this subject is. (loser dude)

whatever dude, i'm not promoting stereotypes, there is something wrong with you if you think i am.

I'm not thinking, I'm pointing out. You ask, what is your take on gays, I say I think that is aiding in stereotyping, for a reason I explained in my previous post.

anyway, the posts can be about individuals if they want, or they can stereotype, doesn't matter, i just wanted to know what people's opinion on this subject is.

No it can't, because that would be off-topic, as the topic is directed at the group.

Mike 1967 said:
I think that they are men and women, the same as any other men and women.

Basically, he gives the same answer I did, except he did not make a remark as to the nature of the thread.

(loser dude)

LOL. Well, it takes one to find one ;).

Mr U

Great forum!

I believe that two persons should be allowed to live and love together regardless of gender. We continuelly here of equal rights and dominate parties and such. Well at some point we as a people should stand together and ask the government to stay out of our homes. I said that in a very general since because it seems that the government continues to tell us who and what we should love, how we should punish our children, and who is allowed to visit which country at what time. When are we going to be free? Marriage is not a church, a piece of paper or a government issue, it is a love issue. I will love who I want, where I want and how I want. Gays are just people looking for the same thing as everyone else, love.

I don’t know any gay people personally
But It floors me this is even an issue in the US.
Consenting gay adults have the constitutional right to do whatever they want as long as it doesn’t violate the constitutional rights of others.

People's sexual orientation is no more anybody's busines than whether a person is right- or left-handed.

What's my take on gays ?
I'm so very attracted towards beautiful women & the female form, but not towards good looking guys or the male form, that I find homosexuality difficult to understand.
It really amazes me that a perversion that serves no purpose in nature is so prevalent !
The only explanation I know of is that the gay gene is thought to be associated with increased fertility in the mothers of gays.

What I don't understand is why no one seems to realize that marriage is more a religious idea than a legal one. Granted, when you are married, you receive tax breaks and stuff like that, but marriage itself is a religious idea. So, I'm not sure why it can be regulated by government?! Its been crammed down our throat that the Bible states that marriage is 'between a man and a woman', but what does that have to do with legalizing same sex marriages or not?! I thought the Constitution dictated what rights we had, not the Bible?!

robin said:
What's my take on gays ?
I'm so very attracted towards beautiful women & the female form, but not towards good looking guys or the male form, that I find homosexuality difficult to understand.
It really amazes me that a perversion that serves no purpose in nature is so prevalent !
The only explanation I know of is that the gay gene is thought to be associated with increased fertility in the mothers of gays.

Are you seriously saying that because you're not attracted to other men, no one else should be allowed to be? A little high on our pedistal, aren't we?! Perversion?!?!?! Isn't it stated in the Bible that masturbation is a sin? But, being a healthy grown man, you probably don't do that, right?!
So, you're telling me that the reason people are gay is because their mothers had increased fertility?! So, giving a woman increased fertility so that she can bear more children, which is apparently why we're here according to the Bible, is what causes the child to be gay?!?! Seems like a catch 22 to me!

hipster_19 said:
Are you seriously saying that because you're not attracted to other men, no one else should be allowed to be? A little high on our pedistal, aren't we?!
No I'm not saying it flipantly either, in fact I've not said that it at all. You seem rather good at seeing things into what people say.
hipster_19 said:
So, you're telling me that the reason people are gay is because their mothers had increased fertility?! So, giving a woman increased fertility so that she can bear more children, which is apparently why we're here according to the Bible, is what causes the child to be gay?!?! Seems like a catch 22 to me!
Catch 22 or not. There is evidence for it & it's an explanation for the remarkable prevalence of something that generally is detrimental to gene serving.

So, the only reason that we are brought on this earth is to create more offspring? So, would someone who cannot bear children, like a woman or man that is sterile for whatever reason, not be as worthy a person because of the fact that they cannot bear children?

I don't have a problem with gays except one thing- all the really truly nice hot guys I know are gay!! WHY?!?

*Ladies- imagine a guy who will actually listen to what you say instead of looking at your breasts... A guy who will do your hair for you and help pick out some cute shoes without saying you already have to many.. A guy who will watch Beaches and eat ice cream and cry right along with you. Then take you to bed and have mind blowing sex.....oh well I guess we can always dream.:sigh:

hipster_19 said:
So, the only reason that we are brought on this earth is to create more offspring? So, would someone who cannot bear children, like a woman or man that is sterile for whatever reason, not be as worthy a person because of the fact that they cannot bear children?
Again you make extrapolations.. you put words into my mouth. You seem to like to draw conclusions that I'm some kind of fascist. People that don't have children are often loving aunts & uncles so they serve their genes that way. Of course, if they aren't loving aunts & uncles then they should be terminated.. LOL

Heritable traits beneficial for survival are more likely to be incorporated into future generations. Incidently we are not brought on this earth. We are born off parents that are the result of evolution.
Surely finding enough food & space & a mate & a place to live & raise kids is an awfully big part of life both for us & for other animals. If that is all there is.. then so be it. No one knows for sure.

We have big brains becuase there is a gene serving advantage in that, as per the survival of the fittest & the smartest. If that large brain enables us incidently to appreciate & think about the cosmos or beautiful work of art & if all the other richness & diversity in our life experience is somehow part of that gene serving large brain, then does it really matter ?

Last edited:
Heritable traits beneficial for survival are more likely to survive generations becuase the survival or reproductive benefits to the somatic cells & thus become part of the gene pool. Incidently we are not brought on this earth. We are born off parents that are the result of evolution.
Surely finding enough food & space & a mate & a place to live & raise kids is an awfully big part of life both for us & for other animals. If that is all there is.. then so be it. We have big brains becuase there is an enormous gene serving advantage in that, as per the survival of the fittest & the smartest. If that large brain enables us incidently to appreciate & think about the cosmos or beautiful work of art & if all the other richness & diversity in our life experience is somehow part of that gene serving, then does it really matter?

All I'm saying is, if all you think there is to life is finding a mate and raising kids, then I feel sorry for you. If everything was about survival of the fittest and strongest, then I wouldn't be working for a bunch of moronic lawyers that can't tie their own shoes without me! They are better off than I am not because they are smarter or fitter, but because they can sleeze their way up the ladder and kiss more asses than I have been able to do.....so far!

hipster_19 said:
All I'm saying is, if all you think there is to life is finding a mate and raising kids, then I feel sorry for you. If everything was about survival of the fittest and strongest, then I wouldn't be working for a bunch of moronic lawyers that can't tie their own shoes without me! They are better off than I am not because they are smarter or fitter, but because they can sleeze their way up the ladder and kiss more asses than I have been able to do.....so far!
I don't think you took on board my last sentence. Incidently there is no law that says creepy crawlies need not be survivers. Look at cockroaches LOL

Last edited:
robin said:
I don't think you took on board my last sentence.

I'm sorry, but someone with views as sterile and synical as yours should not be on a discussion board talking about homosexuality. If a woman's excess of hormones during pregnancy is the reason that people become gay, ok. So, why is something that spawns from something as natural as extra hormones bad? Its nature's way of spicing things up a bit!

hipster_19 said:
I'm sorry, but someone with views as sterile and synical as yours should not be on a discussion board talking about homosexuality. If a woman's excess of hormones during pregnancy is the reason that people become gay, ok. So, why is something that spawns from something as natural as extra hormones bad? Its nature's way of spicing things up a bit!
Thanks you... I regard cynicism as one of the highest & noblest manifestations of intelligence. Though you might be cynical about that viewpoint LOL
Where did I say extra hormones are bad & what do they have to do with people being gay ?

robin said:
Thanks you... I regard cynicism as one of the highest & noblest manifestations of intelligence. Though you might be cynical about that viewpoint LOL
Where did I say extra hormones are bad & what do they have to do with people being gay ?

Thanks me indeed. Did you not state in an earlier post that 'The only explanation I know of is that the gay gene is thought to be associated with increased fertility in the mothers of gays'? Thats what they have to do with people being gay. Did I catch you during a nap?

hipster_19 said:
Thanks me indeed. Did you not state in an earlier post that 'The only explanation I know of is that the gay gene is thought to be associated with increased fertility in the mothers of gays'? Thats what they have to do with people being gay. Did I catch you during a nap?
High fertility in mothers doesn't necessarily equate to hormonal levels. What is more I didn't say they did. You made a huge leap there.
If it did then one could cure ALL fertility simply with doses of hormones.

americanwoman said:
I don't have a problem with gays except one thing- all the really truly nice hot guys I know are gay!! WHY?!?

*Ladies- imagine a guy who will actually listen to what you say instead of looking at your breasts... A guy who will do your hair for you and help pick out some cute shoes without saying you already have to many.. A guy who will watch Beaches and eat ice cream and cry right along with you. Then take you to bed and have mind blowing sex.....oh well I guess we can always dream.:sigh:

Boy you are dreaming! But here is an idea...get you a gay boyfriend for hanging out with and keep a husband for sex. Its a perfect arrangement...he gets to watch his game uninterupted and have sex afterwards...you get to go shopping and dancing and to the theater with someone that isnt going to pass gass and laugh about it in public!

jallman said:
Boy you are dreaming! But here is an idea...get you a gay boyfriend for hanging out with and keep a husband for sex. Its a perfect arrangement...he gets to watch his game uninterupted and have sex afterwards...you get to go shopping and dancing and to the theater with someone that isnt going to pass gass and laugh about it in public!

lol, that sounds like a plan! Now jallman you are exactly what I am talking about. Your cute, nice, funny, and smart. If I am correct you are also gay, right? Ok are you looking for a female girlfriend to hang out with?:wink:

americanwoman said:
lol, that sounds like a plan! Now jallman you are exactly what I am talking about. Your cute, nice, funny, and smart. If I am correct you are also gay, right? Ok are you looking for a female girlfriend to hang out with?:wink:

Yes, I am gay. You got me. I am never actively looking for girls to hang out with but I never turn down a chance to down a beer and scarf pizza over a good flick with a pretty lady.

Back
Top Bottom