• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is your plan for dealing with 800,000 children each year if you ban abortion?

First off. I support a woman's right to have an abortion.

That said, If abortions were banned the US should first hold the mating couple accountable for producing an "unwanted" child. There are proven methods to reduce the risk of the female becoming pregnant. If the couple gives up the child, they should be held financially accountable for that child till it is adopted by some other person.

What if they are mentally and physically unable to take care of a baby?

What if they are mentally and physically unable to take care of a baby?

You tell us. What should happen?

If you will not I wrote, If abortions were banned..................

The OP thread is a IF thread. Since abortions are still legal in the US it is pure opinion for what posters post in answering the OP. Thought my positon was clear when I posted, "I support a woman's right to have an abortion.".

Well the repeat killers would probably kill less as they would carry for 9 months, I'm assuming by becoming a parent they would mature and not be whoring around but be at home raising a baby. I'm thinking they would be more thoughtful of becoming pregnant knowing there was no killing there way out of the situation. But on a positive side I believe most would see a child is the best gift they could be given and that no one will ever love them as the one in there arms, they will learn what it means to have a reason to live and then will than km God they were unable to kill the most precious gift life has to give

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Well the repeat killers would probably kill less as they would carry for 9 months, I'm assuming by becoming a parent they would mature and not be whoring around but be at home raising a baby. I'm thinking they would be more thoughtful of becoming pregnant knowing there was no killing there way out of the situation. But on a positive side I believe most would see a child is the best gift they could be given and that no one will ever love them as the one in there arms, they will learn what it means to have a reason to live and then will than km God they were unable to kill the most precious gift life has to give

Beliefs aren't facts. But here are some facts you should know.

1. Not all women want children.
2. Women who never want children under any circumstances are not likely to "fall in love with the child" after being forced to stay pregnant and give birth against their will because abortion was banned.
3. Women who never want kids are not likely to view an unwanted pregnancy as "the best gift they could be given." An unwanted pregnancy is never a gift, so they are more likely to view the pregnancy as an unwanted burden, not a gift.

It appears that you don't have a plan for dealing with all those unwanted kids if you ban abortion either. Why am I not surprised.

Well, we certainly wouldn't kill them. So that's a start.

Even if abortions were illegal, women would do whatever it takes to end their pregnancies early.

Drinking alcohol under age 21 is illegal. If someone's age is questionable, he/she must show an ID card to buy it. Guess what? People who are at least 21 years old buy alcoholic beverages for underage friends or family members without anyone knowing it. You can't expect any woman to decide against abortion just because it is illegal; she would just have an untrained person do it in a totally unsanitary setting, using a very dangerous method that can kill her.

Even if abortions were illegal, women would do whatever it takes to end their pregnancies early.

Drinking alcohol under age 21 is illegal. If someone's age is questionable, he/she must show an ID card to buy it. Guess what? People who are at least 21 years old buy alcoholic beverages for underage friends or family members without anyone knowing it. You can't expect any woman to decide against abortion just because it is illegal; she would just have an untrained person do it in a totally unsanitary setting, using a very dangerous method that can kill her.

That would be a very stupid choice to make then, wouldn't it? A woman who will do anything to kill her unborn child should be just as guilty at the women who secretly give birth and then throw their babies in the dumpster.

That would be a very stupid choice to make then, wouldn't it? A woman who will do anything to kill her unborn child should be just as guilty at the women who secretly give birth and then throw their babies in the dumpster.

Abortions are higher in countries where they are illegal.

The only reason women would do it is they are not allowed to have safe abortions performed privately by trained professionals in sterile operating rooms. Do you really think women would want to have back alley abortions instead if given a choice?

The only reason women would do it is they are not allowed to have safe abortions performed privately by trained professionals in sterile operating rooms. Do you really think women would want to have back alley abortions instead if given a choice?

Why would they?

Well, we certainly wouldn't kill them. So that's a start.

Be very clear, the intent of pejorative terminology is not to define the process but to denigrate women. If the pro-life's goal is to reduce abortions then you need the help and cooperation of women. Calling them killers does not support your cause. Telling women they are immoral, selfish, sluts, killers, murderers and whores says your goals have to do with your problems with women not the saving of fetal lives.

I see nothing in the research that says making abortion legal causes the abortions to go down. How does that even make sense? When you legalize something, it becomes more prevalent. The number of unwanted pregnancies doesn't suddenly drop when a procedure to get rid of unwanted pregnancies become illegal. But what DOES drop unwanted pregnancies? Hmm?

Contraceptives.

The countries where abortion is illegal are very underdeveloped countries. What are they lacking that causes the spikes in abortions? Contraceptives and education about family planning.

Countries who legalized abortion with or without restrictions are more developed and have more education and access to birth control.

I see nothing in the research that says making abortion legal causes the abortions to go down. How does that even make sense? When you legalize something, it becomes more prevalent. The number of unwanted pregnancies doesn't suddenly drop when a procedure to get rid of unwanted pregnancies become illegal. But what DOES drop unwanted pregnancies? Hmm?

Contraceptives.

The countries where abortion is illegal are very underdeveloped countries. What are they lacking that causes the spikes in abortions? Contraceptives and education about family planning.

Countries who legalized abortion with or without restrictions are more developed and have more education and access to birth control.

What you would have seen if you had read the article is statements such as

And the Trump Health and Human Services Department has reversed Obama era policies that made contraception more freely available and that used evidence-based approaches to fight teen pregnancy — over the objections of career health officials.

In most developed countries where abortion is legal there is also a rise in freely available contraception as well as better education. America of course being an exception.

You need to look at the combination of education, contraception and legality is what causes the abortion rate to go down.

The argument here is not whether making abortion legal will reduce abortion rate. It is instead asking why is it that pro lifers will not back contraception and education as a means of stopping unwanted pregnancies and thus increasing the amount of abortions that occur.

What you would have seen if you had read the article is statements such as

What does that statement have to do with what we're discussing --- what is the cause of high abortion rates in countries where abortion is illegal.

In most developed countries where abortion is legal there is also a rise in freely available contraception as well as better education. America of course being an exception.

Contraception and education on family planning is widely available to everyone in the US.

You need to look at the combination of education, contraception and legality is what causes the abortion rate to go down.

Education and contraception are obviously the main reasons why abortion rates go down. Making abortion legal doesn't change the number of women wanting abortions - preventing the pregnancies in the first place does.

What does that statement have to do with what we're discussing --- what is the cause of high abortion rates in countries where abortion is illegal.

Lack of education, Lack of available contraception, The idea that a man has every right to rape a woman that has been sold to him as a wife.

However what is the cause of high abortion numbers in america when compared to other first world countries is also the same as that in under developed countries. Even down to the idea that a man has every right to demand a woman carry his child.
Contraception and education on family planning is widely available to everyone in the US.
Try reading the statement again.
And the Trump Health and Human Services Department has reversed Obama era policies that made contraception more freely available and that used evidence-based approaches to fight teen pregnancy — over the objections of career health officials.

Education and contraception are obviously the main reasons why abortion rates go down. Making abortion legal doesn't change the number of women wanting abortions - preventing the pregnancies in the first place does.

Both go hand in hand. people who are actually educated understand that abortion is still necessary.

That people will persist in murdering/raping/stealing from others despite the law is not an argument for allowing murder/rape/theft.

Countries that make abortion illegal usually are not going to make contraceptives or education readily available either.

That's just not true. Schools in conservative areas do not have realistic, honest, science based sex-education and PP clinics that provide education and contraceptives have been regulated out of business in many conservative states. Catholic cpcs don't provide any education or contraceptives. Many of those states also have religious morals laws that make getting certain contraceptives and morning after medication almost impossible for women with out transportation.

Preventing pregnancies is certainly the better focus than either abortion or giving birth. And yet the pro-life movement is promoting abstinence only, denies insurance that covers women's contraceptives, allows medical personnel and pharmacists to refuse services or products they believe are immoral, closes PP centers and supports CPCs

I agree with you that seems to be their plan, but when the reality of 800,000 extra children every year (8,000,000 in ten years) shows up in the real world needing services, programs, education, medical attention, housing someone is going to have to come up with a plan to deal with these needs. The reality that a 20% increase in births every year is so enormous it will not simply be absorbed into the general population doesn't seem to have sunk in to the conservative mind, yet.
The deep south red states have proven that dont have to do a dam thing for their ppl and also wouldnt for the extra 8m kids. Conservative Republicans fail so hard at understanding the spectrum of human nature and motivations. They only write policy for the wealthy or the gifted and extremely motivated. Anyone else dies and deserves it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That people will persist in murdering/raping/stealing from others despite the law is not an argument for allowing murder/rape/theft.

Abortion is a medical procedure, certain religions have decided it is immoral. Society with not be damaged if women use a medical procedure to end an unwanted pregnancy. Theft, rape and murder are activities the rip apart the fabric of a society. They cannot be tolerated. They create chaos. Abortion does not create chaos. The fact that you don't want women getting abortions is an opinion or a religious belief and you can't impose it on someone else.

You are also forgetting that making abortion illegal means there will be unregulated, unlicensed, non-professional, unhygienic abortion clinics staffed by anyone with a back room and a desire to make money. It's interesting that you are concerned about the life of non-sentient, non-aware fetuses that are about 1/2 inches long and weigh about .05 ounces but it's OK if women die at the hands of illegal abortion clinics. I don't really think your concern is about little unborn babies. I think you have an agenda you'd rather not talk about.

Last edited:

Like every other anti-choicer, you intentionally took a very clear post totally out of context to suit your biased opinion. Let me know when you figure out how to read and comprehend factual analogies.

I agree with you that seems to be their plan, but when the reality of 800,000 extra children every year (8,000,000 in ten years) shows up in the real world needing services, programs, education, medical attention, housing someone is going to have to come up with a plan to deal with these needs. The reality that a 20% increase in births every year is so enormous it will not simply be absorbed into the general population doesn't seem to have sunk in to the conservative mind, yet.
It has, but your "solution" of "just kill them all" is unacceptable. Why don't you folks come up with a solution that stops it before it gets to that point?

Like every other anti-choicer, you intentionally took a very clear post totally out of context to suit your biased opinion. Let me know when you figure out how to read and comprehend factual analogies.
It appears his point was exactly in context.

Back
Top Bottom