• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is your opinion on overdose prevention centers?

What is your opinion on overdose prevention centers?

• Total voters

Unbeknownst

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Some useful information:

According to drugpolicy.org: "Overdose Prevention Centers (OPCs) are vital in the fight against overdose deaths and are proven to stop a fatal overdose. OPCs provide a sanctioned, safe space for people to consume pre-obtained drugs in controlled settings under the supervision of trained staff and with access to sterile consumption equipment and tools to check their supply for the presence of fentanyl. Participants can also receive health care, counseling, and referrals to health and social services, including drug treatment.

They are also called supervised consumption services (SCS), supervised injection facilities (SIFs), and drug consumption rooms (DCRs)."

Scholarly articles:

News articles:

Videos about harm reduction and OPCs:

They need to change the laws that an adult can only be self admitted. I don't think it's enough in many cases. I just lost someone related to this and it's heart breaking.

I am for it for a very simple reason: crime resulting from drug use.

These places will cut down on violent activity, accidental deaths of others and destruction of property and theft.

People are going to take drugs. No matter what we do. While it would be nice for the user to be in a safe place that would probably offer treatment if desired or at least access to it…I think the cut down i crime would be of great benefit.

But it will never expand very far because Americans are more concerned about cost to their wallets instead of doing something beneficial to our communities.

I'm against wasting tax dollars to help drug addicts who wish to kill themselves.

Well thats a pretty inhuman thought to have....OH its just you again LOL!
Never mind!

Hey....wouldnt that be CRAZY if someday you managed to procreate, and your child developed a drug issue? Laugh riot, eh?

C'mon man....I realize you're going for shock value, but slow your roll a little. This is something that happens to a lot of peoples kid, almost certainly some of those who are members here included.
Its happened to a classmate of mines kid.

Hey....wouldnt that be CRAZY if someday you managed to procreate, and your child developed a drug issue? Laugh riot, eh?

I have two children and neither uses drugs, not even pot. They were raised correctly.
C'mon man....I realize you're going for shock value, but slow your roll a little. This is something that happens to a lot of peoples kid, almost certainly some of those who are members here included.
Drug use is a sign of weakness. I'm not particuraly interested in bailing out weak people bent on self destruction. The moral hazard of drug use is always the possibility of dire problems including death. It isn't like people are not warned about the dangers.

Its happened to a classmate of mines kid.

It happened because the parents failed, not because society failed.

Anybody who is stupid enough to use drugs is already accepting that risk. Encouraging them in their addiction doesn't help anyone.
What about people who are put on opioids in the hospital and then develop an addiction as a result?

I am for trying to save the lives of drug addicts (as I would hope all human beings would be) as many do eventually recover from it and stop using.

Not so sure about these "centers" though as they are described here.
Sounds like a building with a pretty decent sized staff, drug testing facility to check for fentanyl, etc.

Thats a lot of resources that could go toward treatment, stuff like Suboxone etc. Inpatient facilities.

I dont like the thought of providing a place for drug addicts to sit and do illicit drugs. I would rather see some kind of treatment/intervention etc to try to change the behavior instead.

I have tried every drug known to man, and opiates/heroin/oxycontin never failed to make me sick to my stomach. And I dont like being sick to my stomach, so it never became an issue for me.
Its a small wonder I didnt kill myself drinking, but thats another thread I guess.

How does this facility get funded?

Reactions: AJG
"Overdose Prevention Centers (OPCs)"
Is that the euphemism which they are using for legalized shooting galleries now?
Oh the torture inflicted onto language by the lefties.

Anything that encourages drug use would appear to be counter productive, would it not?

I have two children and neither uses drugs, not even pot. They were raised correctly.

Because.....no child that is "raised correctly" has ever developed any drug problem.

Yeah bud, your act here has grown stale, and NEVER includes anything of worth.

Buh bye. You can be the sole member of my ignore list.
*waves*

I am not opposed to these places.

But, I think the location of them has to be very well planned.

No one wants them located in a residential neighborhood, and a business doesn't want one located next to them on Main Street - be that Main Street in small towns, suburbs, or in a city.

I think they should be located at/near proximity to existing hospitals/urgent care centers and accessible by public transportation. Ideally, I'd like to see them located in very close proximity to rehab facilities so that maybe, just maybe, individuals can be talked into rehab vs. continued drug usage.

Great question! The ones described in the news articles seem to be run and funded privately by advocacy groups.
I could be supportive of that.
For whatever thats worth, I dont think anyone is really waiting for my approval though, or that I will ever get a direct say in it.

the opiate thing has taken a mighty big toll in this area, well really in the whole country. Life expectancy has dropped because of it. Its such a waste.

If these centers are helping to save lives, I believe it's a great idea that I'm all for.

Hey man, how's Zach doing? Just curious. Recovery going nicely now?

I am for trying to save the lives of drug addicts (as I would hope all human beings would be) as many do eventually recover from it and stop using.

Not so sure about these "centers" though as they are described here.
Sounds like a building with a pretty decent sized staff, drug testing facility to check for fentanyl, etc.

Thats a lot of resources that could go toward treatment, stuff like Suboxone etc. Inpatient facilities.
Some of these places do offer counseling and health care as described in the OP. Even for the ones that don't do treatment, they increase the number of people who go for drug treatment. They also have a very good effect on the communities they're in, lowering OD deaths, transmission rates of infectious disease, and don't increase crime. This is all according to the AMA.

Recovery is going well. My wife figures she can come back home in about two more weeks. Thanks for asking.

Good, glad to hear it.(y)
Not that I ever had any doubts, but that shit is scary when its YOU. I get that.

Some useful information:

According to drugpolicy.org: "Overdose Prevention Centers (OPCs) are vital in the fight against overdose deaths and are proven to stop a fatal overdose. OPCs provide a sanctioned, safe space for people to consume pre-obtained drugs in controlled settings under the supervision of trained staff and with access to sterile consumption equipment and tools to check their supply for the presence of fentanyl. Participants can also receive health care, counseling, and referrals to health and social services, including drug treatment.

They are also called supervised consumption services (SCS), supervised injection facilities (SIFs), and drug consumption rooms (DCRs)."

Scholarly articles:

News articles:

Videos about harm reduction and OPCs:

Drug addiction is a health issue, not a personal failure. With fentanyl being added to everything, this is not only a great idea, it should be required for all population centers of a certain size.

Some of these places do offer counseling and health care as described in the OP. Even for the ones that don't do treatment, they increase the number of people who go for drug treatment. They also have a very good effect on the communities they're in, lowering OD deaths, transmission rates of infectious disease, and don't increase crime. This is all according to the AMA.

I would definitely be inclined to go with AMA recommendation. (y)

"Overdose Prevention Centers (OPCs)"
Is that the euphemism which they are using for legalized shooting galleries now?
Oh the torture inflicted onto language by the lefties.

Anything that encourages drug use would appear to be counter productive, would it not?
It doesn't encourage drug use anymore than airbags encourage car crashes. It's about saving lives and preventing ODs. Studies have found that opening these centers causes more people to seek treatment.

Back
Top Bottom