• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is your level of formal education?

I have completed the following formal educations

• None or very little

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Attended school, but did not graduate

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • GED or graduated from high school

Votes: 18 23.7%
  • Some college

Votes: 17 22.4%
  • 2 year college degree

Votes: 15 19.7%
  • 4 year college degree

Votes: 26 34.2%
  • formal education based technical degree/certification

Votes: 15 19.7%
  • Military or other past-high school degree

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • Lawyer, doctor, other high education degree

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Masters/PhD

Votes: 27 35.5%

• Total voters

joko104

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Multiple choice, I kept it anonymous though you can tell if you wish. I'll just say 10 options and try to think of 10. Go down the list checking each one that applies to you.

Last edited:

Artevelde

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
1 PhD, 2 Master's degrees

joko104

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Versus my "none to little" :lol:

Rainman05

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
4 years electronical engineering college.

Jredbaron96

Gen 4:10
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
What's edujamicaton?

mak2

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I got thrown out of high school.

Medusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
4 year college

l hope l am not self promoting myself :lol:

molten_dragon

Anti-Hypocrite
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
I have a bachelor's degree. I'll probably get a masters eventually.

Captain Adverse

Classical Liberal Sage
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
Multiple choice, I kept it anonymous though you can tell if you wish. I'll just say 10 options and try to think of 10. Go down the list checking each one that applies to you.

You realize that a Master's and a Ph.D are not equivalent, right? You should have placed Masters 9th on your list, and Doctorates (which includes JD's, MD's, DDS's and PhD's) 10th. Or divided professional doctorates from theoretical doctorates. In either case, a basic Master's would still fall lower than either on the list.

There are also no such things as "military or other than past high school degrees," You can get professional certifications in the army, and if you work in an apprenticeship program you can be classified an apprentice, journeyman, or master. Those are not degree's, just certifications which would probably fall under your "formal education based technical degree/certification."

Last edited:

joko104

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
You realize that a Master's and a Ph.D are not equivalent, right? You should have placed Masters 9th on your list, and Doctorates (which includes JD's, MD's, DDS's and PhD's) 10th. Or divided professional doctorates from theoretical doctorates. In either case, a basic Master's would still fall lower than either on the list.

There are also no such things as "military or other than past high school degrees," You can get professional certifications in the army, and if you work in an apprenticeship program you can be classified an apprentice, journeyman, or master. Those are not degree's, just certifications which would probably fall under your "formal education based technical degree/certification."

There were only 10 options allowed in the poll, so I put Masters/PhD together. There also is overlap. For example, an attorney technically has a PhD (at least in most states - ie Doctor Jurisprudence or something like that), plus a professional degree plus it could be defined at a technical degree.

The reason I grouped Masters and PhD was due to that limit but also a comment my daughter now in an advanced college. She stated she does want a Masters but definitely NOT a PhD, because each opens doors, but a PhD closes some doors too. The "over qualified" thing.

The part about military education is that did not want to exclude career or specialized military academics and again only had 10 options.

Besides, get off my ****ing case. I already acknowledged I'm "none to little." So I think I did pretty damn good with the poll. :2razz:

Last edited:

Ikari

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left

PhD in physics.

ChezC3

Relentless Thinking Fury
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Hello, I'm C3, and I'm an autodidact...

AuntiE

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
:twocents:
There were only 10 options allowed in the poll, so I put Masters/PhD together. There also is overlap. For example, an attorney technically has a PhD (at least in most states - ie Doctor Jurisprudence or something like that), plus a professional degree plus it could be defined at a technical degree.

The reason I grouped Masters and PhD was due to that limit but also a comment my daughter now in an advanced college. She stated she does want a Masters but definitely NOT a PhD, because each opens doors, but a PhD closes some doors too. The "over qualified" thing.

The part about military education is that did not want to exclude career or specialized military academics and again only had 10 options.

Besides, get off my ****ing case. I already acknowledged I'm "none to little." So I think I did pretty damn good with the poll. :2razz:

I thought your choices were appropriate as it is not a scientific poll.

Are you aware that instead of using **** there is a perfectly acceptable work to precede "case"? You may wonder what. It would be; helvetin, neuken, maldito, pierdolony or ffycin. With the last, you do not have to overcome spell check. Just my :twocents:

Aderleth

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Juris Doctorate.

FYI, you might want to separate Masters degrees from PhDs (if possible). Those are two very different animals.

nota bene

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

I thought you did too. And when Harris Poll asks about education, it combines Master/doctorate too.

nota bene

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Juris Doctorate.

FYI, you might want to separate Masters degrees from PhDs (if possible). Those are two very different animals.

Not always. An MFA is considered a terminal degree.

MaggieD

Supporting Member
Monthly Subscriber
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate

High school here.

nota bene

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Sure, but I'm talking in terms of time, effort and prestige.
With you on time and effort, but like it or not, the MFA is regarded as the terminal degree and so by definition carries the same "prestige" as a doctorate.

Aderleth

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
With you on time and effort, but like it or not, the MFA is regarded as the terminal degree and so by definition carries the same "prestige" as a doctorate.

There are lots of terminal degrees, and they're not all treated equally in terms if prestige. MD's, JD's, MFA's and PhD's all get treated differently in society. :shrug:

Top Bottom