• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What Is Your Favorite Love Song?

Revelation-Mother Earth/ Ozzy

I know...not a typical love song but....I rather like nature

independent_thinker2002 said:
Only Women Bleed-Alice Cooper

Alice Cooper covered this song? I did not know that. Interesting.

I wanna be loved like that--Shenandoah

I'll still be loving you--Restless Heart

The way we were--Barbara Streisand

My heart will go on--Celine Dion (I know--corny)

Arts&Sciences said:
Among songs that are exclusively about love and romance, what is your favorite? Without question mine is Heart's "Alone". At least from my own male perspective, no greater love song has been written.

I think 'Wish you were Here' by Pink Floyd is a classic and so is Neil Young's 'I Believe in You'. But gosh it's hard to think of just one that is favorite, I have so many.

George_Washington said:
The love songs from the original cast recording of Phantom of the Opera were pretty nice.

I think if I had to pick an artist who wrote the best love songs it would be Leonard Cohen, and so many have done their own versions of Cohens songs that are just amazing. Here's some more of my faves:

Leonard Cohen: Hallelujah
Leonard Cohen: Suzanne
NIN (performed by Johnny Cash): Hurt
Nick Cave: Let Love In

I don't think the most precious love songs were written about only other poeple, but about the love of the human experience.

“Everywhere the blades turn, in every thought the butchery, and it is raw where I wander; but you hide me in the shelter of your name, and you open the hardness to tears.” ~Leonard Cohen, ‘Book of Mercy’

sissy-boy said:
“Everywhere the blades turn, in every thought the butchery, and it is raw where I wander; but you hide me in the shelter of your name, and you open the hardness to tears.” ~Leonard Cohen, ‘Book of Mercy’

Oh, that's nice. :3oops:

Where are these men?

mixedmedia said:

Where are these men?

Cohen is still around and is still making more music for films and writing prose & poetry. He's one of the most UNDER-RATED musicians of all time.

Go to his site:
http://www.leonardcohen.com/

You'll find lots of amazing lyrics and writings EVERYWHERE, but for some odd reason really great music never hit the charts in the US. It's sad but true, and while in Europe and a lot of other places Cohen is regarded a musical genius, you say his name in the US and no one's even heard of him. He's a Canadian by the way.

mixedmedia said:

Where are these men?

Here's a few quotations by Cohen:

Children show scars like medals. Lovers use them as secrets to reveal. A scar is what happens when the word is made flesh.

I don't consider myself a pessimist. I think of a pessimist as someone who is waiting for it to rain. And I feel soaked to the skin.
Leonard Cohen

Let judges secretly despair of justice: their verdicts will be more acute. Let generals secretly despair of triumph; killing will be defamed. Let priests secretly despair of faith: their compassion will be true.

Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen

Seven to eleven is a huge chunk of life, full of dulling and forgetting. It is fabled that we slowly lose the gift of speech with animals, that birds no longer visit our windowsills to converse. As our eyes grow accustomed to sight they armor themselves against wonder.
Leonard Cohen

There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in.
Leonard Cohen

To every people the land is given on condition. Perceived or not, there is a Covenant, beyond the constitution, beyond sovereign guarantee, beyond the nation's sweetest dreams of itself.
Leonard Cohen

I have heard Leonard Cohen before, my dad introduced me to his music years back. I tend to love the gravelly voiced, poetic types, lol. I just haven't listened to him in a long time. I'm gonna pick one of his cd's up. Which one would you recommend as a primer?

mixedmedia said:
I have heard Leonard Cohen before, my dad introduced me to his music years back. I tend to love the gravelly voiced, poetic types, lol. I just haven't listened to him in a long time. I'm gonna pick one of his cd's up. Which one would you recommend as a primer?

I'd just get 'The Best of'. It's got a lot of the hits -- though they didn't get much air time they're amazing songs.

AND -- if you like that kind of voice, I'd also reccomend Nick Cave -- really good stuff. But some songs can get harsh -- but he's a poetic genius just like Cohen.

A couple of years ago I bought the Johnny Cash box set 'Unearthed' -- it's got some amazing songs on it too with his deep voice. Really great.

sissy-boy said:

I'd just get 'The Best of'. It's got a lot of the hits -- though they didn't get much air time they're amazing songs.

AND -- if you like that kind of voice, I'd also reccomend Nick Cave -- really good stuff. But some songs can get harsh -- but he's a poetic genius just like Cohen.

A couple of years ago I bought the Johnny Cash box set 'Unearthed' -- it's got some amazing songs on it too with his deep voice. Really great.

Oh, I'm already quite familiar with Nick Cave and Johnny Cash! I also love Tom Waits, Bob Dylan and Louis Armstrong. Basically, if they sound like they are recovering from strep throat and sing words that make me little light bulb go off, I swoon.

mixedmedia said:
Oh, I'm already quite familiar with Nick Cave and Johnny Cash! I also love Tom Waits, Bob Dylan and Louis Armstrong. Basically, if they sound like they are recovering from strep throat and sing words that make me little light bulb go off, I swoon.

Waits is AMAZING!! Love ALL of his stuff. He's a genius. So is Dylan -- a true master. Do you like Beck or Neil Young? I always thought of Beck as being the 'Neil Young' of today's generation.

Great songwriting.

Arts&Sciences said:
Among songs that are exclusively about love and romance, what is your favorite? Without question mine is Heart's "Alone". At least from my own male perspective, no greater love song has been written.

Here are some of my faves, try to forget the fact that they've been played to death.

Let's Get It On - Marvin Gaye
You Can Leave Your Hat On - Joe Cocker
My Funny Valentine - Rodgers and Hart
Maybe I'm Amazed - Paul McCartney
At Last- Etta James
Desperado - Eagles
Overjoyed- Stevie Wonder
Every Breath You Take - Police
Wonderful World - Sam Cooke (Don't Know much about....)
As Time Goes By - from Casablanca
Something- George Harrison

sissy-boy said:

Waits is AMAZING!! Love ALL of his stuff. He's a genius. So is Dylan -- a true master. Do you like Beck or Neil Young? I always thought of Beck as being the 'Neil Young' of today's generation.

Great songwriting.

I do like Neil Young very, very much. Helpless is one of those songs that can bring me to my knees. Haven't really paid much attention to Beck (doh!). He's allright. He reminds me of little Chris Partridge.

For songwriting, I also love Radiohead.

"I love you just the way you are" by Billy Joel

or "Beth" by kiss.....

Mixedmedia,

You know how you described the food your mother makes around the holidays and it brings back memories (the smell) of growing up. I love songs written in the seventies as it brings back memories of childhood, being in the car with the radio on and my mom singing to some 70's hit. Everytime I hear a song written in the 70's my mother loved....I feel like crying, I get so emotional as the tunes do the same thing for me. I feel like that little girl again.

mixedmedia said:
I do like Neil Young very, very much. Helpless is one of those songs that can bring me to my knees. Haven't really paid much attention to Beck (doh!). He's allright. He reminds me of little Chris Partridge.

For songwriting, I also love Radiohead.

Radiohead DOES write great songs. Helpless IS an amazing song. 'Decade' was one of my favority 'cry' records. The emotions evoked by a song like 'Helpless' teaches us to use song as a form of spirituality. Other music can bring people into a deep trance state. I think this is one of the reasons that for EONS, music had been such a powerful force. Music is what we do when we want to communicate with God. Listening to an amazing live band can produce moments so thrilling for me that something like a sporting event or a sit-com can't even come close to. Music is definately one of my own spiritual roots, if not THEE spiritual root.

alphieb said:
"I love you just the way you are" by Billy Joel

or "Beth" by kiss.....

Mixedmedia,

You know how you described the food your mother makes around the holidays and it brings back memories (the smell) of growing up. I love songs written in the seventies as it brings back memories of childhood, being in the car with the radio on and my mom singing to some 70's hit. Everytime I hear a song written in the 70's my mother loved....I feel like crying, I get so emotional as the tunes do the same thing for me. I feel like that little girl again.

Yeah, I'm that way with music, too. My mom used to sing alot, too, but she was far better at cooking, lol. She loved Bob Dylan and Gladys Knight and the Pips. I can't sing either, but I do anyway. Somebody's got to torture and humiliate the children. :mrgreen:

A lot of my touchstone music favorites come from my youth in the '70s. Fortunately it was a pretty good time to grow up in music-wise.

sissy-boy said:

Radiohead DOES write great songs. Helpless IS an amazing song. 'Decade' was one of my favority 'cry' records. The emotions evoked by a song like 'Helpless' teaches us to use song as a form of spirituality. Other music can bring people into a deep trance state. I think this is one of the reasons that for EONS, music had been such a powerful force. Music is what we do when we want to communicate with God. Listening to an amazing live band can produce moments so thrilling for me that something like a sporting event or a sit-com can't even come close to. Music is definately one of my own spiritual roots, if not THEE spiritual root.

You know, sissy-boy, I have to be honest. On another thread I said that your posts singed my corneas. Feel free to give me the business - it wasn't fair. Now that I see how we can relate through the love of music, I've got to say I'm sorry for that. I may not agree with you 100% on the politics stuff and how you choose to express it, but anybody with such a fine taste in music can't be that bad.

Just had to get that off my chest.

mixedmedia said:
Yeah, I'm that way with music, too. My mom used to sing alot, too, but she was far better at cooking, lol. She loved Bob Dylan and Gladys Knight and the Pips. I can't sing either, but I do anyway. Somebody's got to torture and humiliate the children. :mrgreen:

A lot of my touchstone music favorites come from my youth in the '70s. Fortunately it was a pretty good time to grow up in music-wise.

My mom could and can sing like an angel, but I can't even though I think I can after many beers on Karaoke night.

mixedmedia said:
You know, sissy-boy, I have to be honest. On another thread I said that your posts singed my corneas. Feel free to give me the business - it wasn't fair. Now that I see how we can relate through the love of music, I've got to say I'm sorry for that. I may not agree with you 100% on the politics stuff and how you choose to express it, but anybody with such a fine taste in music can't be that bad.

HAHA!! What about 'Seasons in the Sun' -- it was a fave of mine so I went out and found other stuff by Terry Jacks and The Poppy Family. Really great but kind of strange stuff. Do you remember that song? It reminds me of my early childhood.

alphieb said:
My mom could and can sing like an angel, but I can't even though I think I can after many beers on Karaoke night.

Gawd, I don't care how drunk I am, I could never get up in front of a bunch of people and sing.

mixedmedia said:

Oh -- no problem. (I replied to the wrong post) -- I honestly don't remember your post. Most of the time I just react in the political forum because I see so much intolerance and hypocrisy. But I don't mean half the stuff I say.

It's kind of a place for me to get anger out.

No problem.

sissy-boy said:

Great songwriting.

Yeah good point. Beck is pretty good. I can relate to him more than I can Neil Young or Dylan because he is much closer to my generation.

sissy-boy said:

HAHA!! What about 'Seasons in the Sun' -- it was a fave of mine so I went out and found other stuff by Terry Jacks and The Poppy Family. Really great but kind of strange stuff. Do you remember that song? It reminds me of my early childhood.

Seasons In the Sun? Yeah I know that song. I'd have to listen to it again to form an opinion on it. Was that the 60s? Have you ever heard of The Strawberry Alarm Clock? Incense and Peppermints. Good Morning, Starshine. I like a lot of their music. Some of it's pretty intensely "flower-powered," lol. Jefferson Airplane (doh! I first wrote Starship) I like a lot too, from that '60s scene.

simonandg.jpg

Simon and Garfunkel - Kathy's Song
For Emily, Wherever I May Find Her
Bridge Over Troubled Water

(I don't know if they originated BOTW, but I like their version of it.)

Back
Top Bottom