• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is your bipartisan compromise on gun control?

srelick

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Here's mine:
  • Enhanced background checks
  • Require background checks for gun show sales and internet sales
  • Prohibit those on the terrorist watch list from purchasing firearms, but allow them to appeal the decision in an expedited way to ensure due process
  • 50-state reciprocity agreement for concealed carry licenses
  • Expansion of interstate sales (i.e., allow interstate dealers to sell handguns, rather than just shotguns and rifles)
  • Eliminate all taxes/fees associated with purchasing a firearm, buying ammunition, or applying for a license

The first three items are wins for Democrats.
The last three items are wins for Republicans.

What do you think is a fair compromise on gun control?

I can agree to all of that implementation. I think the most effective things would be cultural. Meaning, mental health awareness, gun education, and most importantly for the media to stop giving the shooters just what they want, a spotlight.

Here's mine:
  • Prohibit those on the terrorist watch list from purchasing firearms, but allow them to appeal the decision in an expedited way to ensure due process
  • Expansion of interstate sales (i.e., allow interstate dealers to sell handguns, rather than just shotguns and rifles)
  • Eliminate all taxes/fees associated with purchasing a firearm, buying ammunition, or applying for a license

Prepare to be called a gun banner

Here's mine:

What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?

That pretty much takes care of your "compromises". (That was easy.)

I can agree to all of that implementation. I think the most effective things would be cultural. Meaning, mental health awareness, gun education, and most importantly for the media to stop giving the shooters just what they want, a spotlight.

Agreed. I think there's a lot of truth to what you said. The culture is going to have to be the biggest part of fixing the issue, and I definitely don't think the media helps. Perhaps, another item that could be added to the above list could be a task force or board that would study the impact media has on violence. This was part of the Toomey-Manchin bill from 2013, and it was meant to try to come up with some solutions at how we can change the culture to help solve this issue.

Here's mine:

The only one I object to is the last one, because we need to levy taxes to help pay for some of this.
The other five all seem quite reasonable to me, a Democratic gun owner.

So no gun laws of any kind....
Right?
The 2nd Amendment is very clear.

The only law I would agree to concerning gun ownership is this: Any crime committed while in direct possession of a firearm results in a mandatory death sentence.

Then you support the right to carry on planes, the right for small children to bring guns to school and the right to carry stinger missles around the airport. Right?

Then you support the right to carry on planes, the right for small children to bring guns to school and the right to carry stinger missles around the airport. Right?
Hyperbole doesn't become you.

You are dismissed.

The only law I would agree to concerning gun ownership is this: Any crime committed while in direct possession of a firearm results in a mandatory death sentence.
There are places like that....they are called war zones

There are places like that....they are called war zones
They are also called American cities...except nobody is doing anything about the war.

They are also called American cities...except nobody is doing anything about the war.
Factually incorrect. There is no place in the US where that is legal

You are just making stuff up now. Lol

What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?

That pretty much takes care of your "compromises". (That was easy.)

I felt that this would be a way of actually reducing the restrictions for law-abiding gun owners and getting rid of bureaucratic regulations that imo do nothing to make people safer (i.e., bans on interstate sales and each state having their own concealed carry rules).

To ask a follow up question: Do you think giving up the first three items is worth it to get the last three items?

Here's mine:

Full registration with serial number tracking and ballistic records on both rifling and cartridges. Anyone in possession of a gun lacking that receives and automatic five year prison sentence.

Limits of high capacity clips/magazines.

No AR15 or other "assaults' rifles"

CCW requires a complete meatal health evaluation by certified psychologists and not your cousin Fred.

Stiff penalties including prison for any misuse of a firearm, including allowing it to fall into the hands of children.

Mandatory five year added sentence for any felony committed with firearm.

Mandatory two year sentence for possession of firearm while drunk or high.

Mandatory one year sentence for possession of firearm when under indictment of otherwise banned from having one, double that if the crime involved domestic violence--add the five years if the gun is unregistered as listed in item one.

Those are good places to start.

I felt that this would be a way of actually reducing the restrictions for law-abiding gun owners and getting rid of bureaucratic regulations that imo do nothing to make people safer (i.e., bans on interstate sales and each state having their own concealed carry rules).

To ask a follow up question: Do you think giving up the first three items is worth it to get the last three items?
Again...the 2nd Amendment is very clear and compromises are not part of it.

Again...the 2nd Amendment is very clear and compromises are not part of it.
And you are afraid to defend your position

Even you dont believe it

Here's mine:

Just a quick comment: legitimate internet sales require background checks as do most gun show sales.

Here's mine:

I would replace pretty much all federal gun control laws with a law requiring private sellers to check a state-issued identification card of the buyer, and prohibiting private sales directly to someone from out of state without complying with the laws in the buyer's state. I would redirect all the ATF's firearm-related activity to enforcing this law.

Then I would leave it up to the states to formulate their own laws, within the confines of the 2nd Amendment.

At the state level, I think an acceptable compromise set of laws (not that I personally support all of them) would be:

1. Require some form of background checks for all sales of firearms (at a dealer or private sale), with no record-keeping requirement and with exceptions for anyone who already has a similar type of firearm or who has some other proof of not being prohibited (e.g., a valid carry license). Alternatively, simply require the purchaser to show a state-issued ID, and then ensure that all persons who are prohibited from purchasing firearms have an indicator on their ID to that effect.

2. Registration of handguns, but not long guns (and no requirement for serial numbers on self-manufactured rifles). Require reporting of lost or stolen handguns within 30 days (with penalties for non-reporting being triggered if the stolen firearm is recovered in connection with a crime), and temporarily (e.g., for 1 year) prohibit the further purchase of a handgun by anyone who reports a stolen handgun more than once in a given period (maybe 2 years).

3. No restrictions on "assault weapons," suppressors, SBRs. Keep restrictions on full-auto firearms, with certain exceptions for those who pass certain relatively stringent qualifications.

4. Prohibit anyone who has been convicted of any violent crime (felony or misdemeanor) from owning a firearm for a period equal to twice the maximum sentence for the crime. Eliminate prohibitions on gun ownership for nonviolent felonies.

5. Shall issue or no-license concealed carry for anyone legally permitted to own a firearm, and who passes a test demonstrating basic firearm safety proficiency and knowledge of self-defense laws.

Here's mine:

I think the first thing we have to do is get the NICS database working and sufficient. Have municipal state and federal police forces focus on making sure they update it when something changes. Prosecute anybody involved in the fast and furious scandal to the fullest extent of the law.

Just a quick comment: legitimate internet sales require background checks as do most gun show sales.

Thank you for adding that. A lot of misinformation out there, and a lot of people don't understand that background checks are generally required with only a few exceptions. Thank you for clarifying that. Even I may have not been fully informed on the extent to which background checks are already required. I agree with expanded background checks but also think it's important for people to understand that gun stores and most gun sales already require a background check.

The 2nd Amendment is the only defense I need. You know...the Constitution.
Not on here it isn't.

Even you dont believe these slogans anymore. Lol

Here's mine:

How about saving time and $$ and properly enforcing the gun laws we have now first? Give that a try?

Back
Top Bottom