• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is your background pic??

First one is my current desktop on my computer. It's a pic I took in Alaska, in Misty Fjords. (the waterfall one)

Second attachment is on one monitor at work, and the third one is on my second monitor.

But, I rotate out my wallpapers. They are all landscapes, though. Or space images (nebulas, and whatnot)

Attachments

• misty_fjords_20.jpg
    misty_fjords_20.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 354.jpg
    354.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 65
  • 267.jpg
    267.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 66
Chuz's desktop is the first one in this thread that made me drool.

Somebody else would've beat him to it, if they had a Shelby Mustang GT350 as a backdrop.

That car is made of sexy.

Shasta%20Lake%20w%20MtShasta2.jpg

One of my favorite lakes,Shasta.

My current desktop is an insect pic as well - this is the original. I cropped it to focus on the eye more, and resized it a tad to to fit my desktop.

6687694-lg.jpg

Nothing. Black screen saves energy, reduces my power bill and lengthens the life of my LCD. It also in a tiny way helps the environment, but that's not really important to me compared to having my LCD last years.

Nothing. Black screen saves energy, reduces my power bill and lengthens the life of my LCD. It also in a tiny way helps the environment, but that's not really important to me compared to having my LCD last years.

zimmer-albums-conservitoons-picture67111923-savetheworldfoundation-poo-fight.jpg

Standard water candle

Candle-Of-Water-1-D3SX616D9P-800x600.jpg

The only thing that saves energy on an LCD would be to reduce the backlighting (power saving mode). The image on the screen is irrelevant. Not to mention, it surely isn't going to have any effect on the life of your monitor.

The only thing that saves energy on an LCD would be to reduce the backlighting (power saving mode). The image on the screen is irrelevant. Not to mention, it surely isn't going to have any effect on the life of your monitor.

Actually a black screen can boost performance a bit.

Come again? You're telling me that a screen that has a picture that is emitting energy from every pixel consumes the same amount of electricity as a monitor that is emitting no light aside from the taskbar and desktop items?

That's like saying an off TV consumes the same as an on TV.

Furthermore, you are saying that subjecting parts of an LCD to less wear and tear doesn't make it last longer?

Come again? You're telling me that a screen that has a picture that is emitting energy from every pixel consumes the same amount of electricity as a monitor that is emitting no light aside from the taskbar and desktop items?

That's like saying an off TV consumes the same as an on TV.

Furthermore, you are saying that subjecting parts of an LCD to less wear and tear doesn't make it last longer?

its still using power to show a black screen, it uses the same amount of power no matter what the colour, and black is just another colour it shows

its still using power to show a black screen, it uses the same amount of power no matter what the colour, and black is just another colour it shows

Not necessarily. Not all LCDs use diffusers to block light. Some actually don't emit when the pixel is set to black. Uh, you do know that black in terms of light is lack of light no? In terms of pigment, black is all colors. Two very different things there.

Not necessarily. Not all LCDs use diffusers to block light. Some actually don't emit when the pixel is set to black. Uh, you do know that black in terms of light is lack of light no? In terms of pigment, black is all colors. Two very different things there.

in terms of light, yes, but if you turn your screen off, you'll notice it is a different colour to if you have the screen as black, to the computer, a black screen is just another set of 1's and 0's.

Obvious Child, you can come out of the dark now.
Put a little color in your life.
I've posted a photo for you to use if you like. Not too many colors, so it doesn't freak you out too much.

From FOXNEWS... I mean Earth First:

Here’s the thing: unless you’re still using an old CRT monitor, it’s not even true. Call it a green technology urban myth. It’s time to give this misinformation a boot in the ass. Carl Bialik of the Wall Street Journal crunched the numbers nearly a year ago, and Bill Schindler of Panasonic Plasma Display Laboratory of America confirmed his findings.

It’s time for Blackle and the others to make a change: they meant well, but the fact is their black search engines are actually accomplishing the opposite of their goal. They’re using more energy, and misleading people who want to help out the environment in any small way they can.

What’s even more annoying about this is the fact that this information has been available for so long.

Green Urban Myth: Can We Please Kill the Idea that Black Screens Save Energy?

zimmer-albums-conservitoons-picture67111923-savetheworldfoundation-poo-fight.jpg

Last edited:

Before you tune out and turn off, you should know that black isn't necessarily the new green. Because computer monitors come in a variety of shapes and sizes, and not all monitors create black and white the same way, there's no proof that, on the whole, increased usage of black images would save more energy than the continued use of white ones. In fact in newer liquid-crystal display, or LCD, monitors white is actually slightly more energy efficient than black.

The notion that black screens save electricity certainly makes sense when you're talking about cathode-ray tube, or CRT, technology that works by moving an electron beam back and forth across the back of the screen. "The front screen is covered with red, blue and green phosphors," says Bill Schindler, vice president of electrical engineering for Panasonic Plasma Display Laboratory of America. To produce white, the electron beam is directed at the phosphors. However, "when the screen is black, you don't have to fire the beam," he adds.

CRT monitors, which until a few years ago were the predominant models among PC users, consume more power when a computer screen is white. To confirm this, Schindler measured the energy output of an 18-inch (45.7-centimeter) CRT monitor and found it used 102 watts when the screen was white but only 79 watts when the display was black.

This is not the case, however, with LCD monitors, which have no phosphors and represent the lion's share of every new monitored purchased in the developed world, including those used by laptops. Instead, LCD displays rely on an array of thin-tube fluorescent bulbs that provide a constant source of light to create a white screen. To make it black, LCDs rely on a diffuser to block this light. As a result, LCDs use more energy than CRTs to display a black screen. Measuring a 17-inch (43-centimeter) LCD monitor, Schindler found that white required 22.6 watts, while black came in a tad higher at 23.2 watts. With a 20-inch (50.8-centimeter) LCD, black required 6 percent more energy than white.

New advances in LCD technologies could eventually validate the belief that black is better. Newer types of LCD include a dynamic dimming capability that changes the strength of the backlight based on the image being displayed. Heap also points out that many of the new monitor technologies such as LCDs backlit with light-emitting diodes (LED), plasma screens and organic LED screens do not have a constant backlight "so we will see larger savings with Blackle as these new monitors replace the CCFL LCDs," he says.

In the meantime, the world is evenly split between CRT and LCD monitors, totaling roughly 405 million and 401 million respectively in 2007, according to iSuppli data. So if you're still toiling away in front of a hefty CRT monitor that takes up three-quarters of your desk, then black screens will save you some energy. For those who've graduated to thinner LCD models, black screens are actually sucking up more energy then their white counterparts.

I think you just PWNED yourself OC.

I think you just PWNED yourself OC.

Ultimately, if you want to save energy, just set your monitor to shut off after a few minutes of not being used.

This is for two reasons.
1. Energy star
2. If you are using a computer, likely your program window is expanded to take up the full screen and you will not realize that 6% or whatever energy savings anyway. (if you have a white background)

Last edited:
But then again, who cares about saving energy?
Uh? Uh? Who's with me?

Back
Top Bottom