• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is your background pic??

Come again? You're telling me that a screen that has a picture that is emitting energy from every pixel consumes the same amount of electricity as a monitor that is emitting no light aside from the taskbar and desktop items?

That's like saying an off TV consumes the same as an on TV.

Furthermore, you are saying that subjecting parts of an LCD to less wear and tear doesn't make it last longer?
LCD use back-lighting. When the screen is set to black, the back-lighting is still happening, it's just being blocked. And, as someone else pointed out, it can actually use more energy.

If you had a CRT, you'd have a point. But not with an LCD.

I'm not trying to jump your ****, I'm just trying to make you aware that you can go ahead and use a pretty picture and it's really not going to adversely affect anything. Your monitor's life isn't going to be extended by a black screen, and you're not going to save any energy. AND, even if you would save energy and "extend the life of your LCD", it would be so minuscule so as not to be noticed and probably not even measurable.

So, get some purty pics on there. :)

I change my background frequently. This is one I'm using at work now, on both monitors. (Because it's kind of a pain setting up a different image on each monitor, so I don't always do it)

316.jpg

I think you just PWNED yourself OC.

If you don't read the whole article.

Btw thanks for being a dishonest poster and not posting the full article. Let's just cherry pick parts that support certain positions. Do you really think I wouldn't notice how you COMPLETELY left out the part that was relevant to my argument?

Good job on epic dishonest fail.

If you don't read the whole article.

Btw thanks for being a dishonest poster and not posting the full article. Let's just cherry pick parts that support certain positions. Do you really think I wouldn't notice how you COMPLETELY left out the part that was relevant to my argument?

Good job on epic dishonest fail.

W/E I took the highlights of the article. And the ONLY way you are remotely correct is if one has a new LED LCD. Please show where your cherry picked single bit trumps the parts I posted, otherwise, soak in your :failpail:

I even underlined the only part that remotely agreed with you:

New advances in LCD technologies could eventually validate the belief that black is better. Newer types of LCD include a dynamic dimming capability that changes the strength of the backlight based on the image being displayed.

Last edited:
Uh, read the whole article I posted. Not just the parts Mr. V posted. He has a bad but very documented habit of ommiting parts of articles that refute him.

I did read the whole thing. Along with countless other articles on the matter being that I work in IT.

I did read the whole thing. Along with countless other articles on the matter being that I work in IT.

No, you OBVIOUSLY didn't read it, or you'd agree with OC.

Catch this one... O-child answers on another thread, because he knows folks would laugh their ****ing asses off had he posted it here.

Okay then.

Has it occurred to you that maybe I actually have an LCD that doesn't use diffusers?
http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/75283-supply-and-demand-5.html#post1058820176

Perhaps you explain to the class why you FAILed to post this answer here?

Could it be that you would find yourself the butt of a lot of laughs?
Because it would reveal once again how you slither about?

Or did your screen black out on ya and you were unable to post?
ROTFLMFAO... Dude... you're in a league of your own, and you just keep striking out.

Perhaps you should attempt being an honest broker.
It's not too late.

Last edited:
Mr Vicchio seriously amazing photography, toast to your wife.

Perhaps you explain to the class why you FAILed to post this answer here?

maybe because I assumed you people would have read the article? Clearly that was a mistake.

Could it be that you would find yourself the butt of a lot of laughs?
Because it would reveal once again how you slither about?

Or did your screen black out on ya and you were unable to post?
ROTFLMFAO... Dude... you're in a league of your own, and you just keep striking out.

Perhaps you should attempt being an honest broker.
It's not too late.

If I'm dishonest, you're Satan.

Again, still assuming I have an lcd that doesn't use a diffuser.

maybe because I assumed you people would have read the article? Clearly that was a mistake.

If I'm dishonest, you're Satan.

Again, still assuming I have an lcd that doesn't use a diffuser.
Oh, I'll take being called Satan by you. It doesn't change the fact you twist what others say, assign questions to them never asked and flat out lie. I'd link to something in the deep recesses of DP, but it's against the rules.

One bit on this electricity saving... it is awfully pathetic to go through life wondering if you can run a picture on a screen or not, or how it might concern the planet (gag me). But some folks will follow any enviromaniac advice... some might even have taken up Sheryl Crow on her one-wipe theory.

some might even have taken up Sheryl Crow on her one-wipe theory.

OC uses a reusable single silk "wiper" to save the earth and washes it with barrel captured rain water.

Congradulations. You finally won an argument aganist me. That took how long?

Btw, you are still assuming I have an LCD that uses a diffuser.

I'm assuming nothing. I merely used the aritcle you posted, and highlighted both the parts that showed you were waaay off base, and the one aprt that might have propped up your argument about black vs. white backgrounds.

I'm assuming nothing. I merely used the aritcle you posted, and highlighted both the parts that showed you were waaay off base, and the one aprt that might have propped up your argument about black vs. white backgrounds.

lol. Why am I not surprised you still don't know what a diffuser is? what you highlighted proves I'm on base. But thanks for trying to learn to read anyways. LCDs that don't use a diffuser don't the issue at hand,

EDIT: Anyhow, I got curious and ran some tests with a Kill-A-Watt and an actual white screen consumes the least amount of wattage. I'm assuming this is due to a diffuser not being used which consumes roughly around an additional watt or two an hour. Initial tests suggested that a RGB 51 setting with 0 Lum provides the same consumption as a white background and better then certain images (2~3 watts). Repeat trials however can inconclusive with everything showing identical. Either way, I just reduced brightness by 5% and got 33% watt reduction in consumption so that's better then any background changes. And that probably will do more for the life of my LCD then any background changes.

I'm willing to admit I was wrong on the basis of testable evidence. Something neither of you two will ever do. Admit you're wrong.

I change my background pic often. Here is whats on it now. I love this pic.

winternight01.jpg

images

USS%20Iowa-bow%20aerial%20view%20firing%203%2016-inch%20guns.jpg

Last edited:
How have you turned this thread into a political debate? I was enjoying the art work being posted here. Can you go away please? Thanks.

Moderator's Warning:
What kaya said.

I change my background pic often. Here is whats on it now. I love this pic.

winternight01.jpg

Mine is too now. Know anywhere with a higher resolution of that?

Back
Top Bottom