• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What is Wrong With Our Universities

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Yale has admitted a former murderous Taliban leader who never finished high school, but got a GED instead. Not only that, but the Taliban leader only completed 4th grade. Oh, I forgot. He was the Taliban's ambassador. I guess that counts for something. It must count for a lot, considering the fact that he most likely displaced a student with a lot of potential, not to mention a high GPA in high school, which he or she DID finish.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Khadaffy Duck is giving a speech at Columbia University, and of course, Larry Summers resigned last month from Harvard University, amid the scandal there.

The Ivy league is not the same as it once was. After all, if men and women who arent the brightest crayons in the box are politically admitted over those who deserve admission, we have a huge problem. It is no wonder that our educational system today ranks with the third world.

Article is here.

danarhea said:
Yale has admitted a former murderous Taliban leader who never finished high school, but got a GED instead. Not only that, but the Taliban leader only completed 4th grade. Oh, I forgot. He was the Taliban's ambassador. I guess that counts for something. It must count for a lot, considering the fact that he most likely displaced a student with a lot of potential, not to mention a high GPA in high school, which he or she DID finish.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Khadaffy Duck is giving a speech at Columbia University, and of course, Larry Summers resigned last month from Harvard University, amid the scandal there.

The Ivy league is not the same as it once was. After all, if men and women who arent the brightest crayons in the box are politically admitted over those who deserve admission, we have a huge problem. It is no wonder that our educational system today ranks with the third world.

Article is here.
First it should be noted that the low ranking of the educational system in the US is not applicable to institutions of higher learning. Universities of the US are still very much at the top in the world.

AS for this Taliban admission though, pretty pathetic.

danarhea said:
And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Khadaffy Duck is giving a speech at Columbia University,

I find that very hard to believe. Qadaffi would be arrested the minute he set foot in the United States. Do you have a source for this?

danarhea said:

Article is here.

What do you expect from the breeding grounds of "politically-correct super freaks?" The professors of our higher institutions of learning, which rank among the "world-class" universities in the world, has a history of adhering to idealogue nonsense and living in a dream land of hugs and kisses. The elites in the universities, media, and arts who instinctively blame America first are always there to urge appeasements to tyrants - as they hypocritically voice for freedom and justice. What better place on earth to tell the enemy that "we understand."

However, your eagerness to place our educational system among the systems of third world states is absurd. Once beyond the rediculous debates and ignorant opinions in the liberal arts faculties, our knowledge industry has no precedent or peer. We atract the best faculty, the best researchers, and the best student minds from the entire world. The U.S. is also far ahead of other nations in the flexibility and utility of its educational system. Even in most of Europe, the student's fate is determined or predetermined early. In Germany, long famous for its commitment to education, the individual who gains a basic degree in one subject and then jumps to another field for graduate work is marked as a Versager, a failure. In the U.S. system, there are second, third, and fourthes chances. This flexibility to build and rebuild our human capitol is a tremendous economic asset, and it is compounded by the trend towards continuing education in mid-life and for seniors.

1. Anti-white discrimination
2. Title IX
3. Political Correctness
4. Faculty using classrooms as political pulpits
5. Grade inflation
6. Low standards
7. Politicized "studies" departments
8. Suppression of free speech
9. Unjustified fee increases
10. Faculty tenure
11. anti-intellectualism

GySgt - "politically-correct super freaks"

This is the main issue facing society in the USA today IMO. everything from immigration to education...

alphamale-
"1. Anti-white discrimination
2. Title IX
3. Political Correctness
5. Grade inflation
6. Low standards
10. Faculty tenure
11. anti-intellectualism"

I actually think that the numbers 3 and 4 are major issues.

Number 11 I think is the exact opposite with universities. It is a breeding ground and melting pot of intellectuals. I guess that I have a negative opinion of intellectuals though...I think that they are by nature elitists and they idealize their contribution to society. "Intellectuals" are a joke.

Teaching Whiteness is a problem, but that is political correctness gone extreme...I agree that this one sucks

alphamale said:
1. Anti-white discrimination
2. Title IX
3. Political Correctness
5. Grade inflation
6. Low standards
10. Faculty tenure
11. anti-intellectualism

it's anti asian too..

Synch said:
it's anti asian too..

Asians are probably the people who lose most from "affirmative action". It's well-known that places like UCLA would probably be half to two-thirds asian, except for politically correct racial discrimination in admissions.

alphamale said:
Asians are probably the people who lose most from "affirmative action". It's well-known that places like UCLA would probably be half to two-thirds asian, except for politically correct racial discrimination in admissions.
One of the major reasons for affirmative action. Otherwise natural science and engineering departments would be full of asians.
UCLA = University of caucasians lost in asians.

jfuh said:
One of the major reasons for affirmative action. Otherwise natural science and engineering departments would be full of asians.
UCLA = University of caucasians lost in asians.

What's wrong with natural science and engineering departments being full of asians?

alphamale said:
What's wrong with natural science and engineering departments being full of asians?
I have that exact same question to ask. However affirmative action seems to want to put a limit on that. FYI, I am asian.

jfuh said:
I have that exact same question to ask. However affirmative action seems to want to put a limit on that. FYI, I am asian.

And, in terms of the american polity, a liberal. "Affirmative action" is a liberal policy. Ergo, one wonders what goes on in your brain.

Affirmative actions what wrong with this country, a policy that discriminates against the smallest minority, asians.

Blacks and Hispanis have their points worth more, leading to them going into colleges and universities not fit for them while asian and white students are suppressed, although Asians in terms of ivy league schools are significantly more suppressed than whites.

If AA was abolished, the number of whites that will be accepted at elite universities will increase by .5%. The number of Asians would increase by 7.8%. Those who are pro AA say it will damage minorities, but it will only affect whites by a .5% positive increase....

Oh yeah, our universities are lacking free speech also.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/EDUCATION/09/25/smu.bake.sale.ap/

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,105827,00.html

http://www.thefire.org/index.php/article/5503.html

amazing, liberals want people to be able to burn US flags as part of the first amendment, and now this...

I only read part of that first CNN link Synch, but I like this part...

"This was not an issue about free speech," Tim Moore, director of the SMU student center, said in a story for Thursday's edition of The Dallas Morning News. "It was really an issue where we had a hostile environment being created." "

It is only an issue where they had a hostile environment being created because of an escalating danger posed by people opposed to free speech. It is about free speech. Period.

Free speech might have initiated hostility among those that love oppression of individuality and speech, but it is dismissive and accusatory to sweep away the protestors protest that are using free speech.

alphamale said:
And, in terms of the american polity, a liberal. "Affirmative action" is a liberal policy. Ergo, one wonders what goes on in your brain.
Affirmative action is a Democrat policy, not liberal. Liberals push for equal rights and diversity. That's you're ignorance to what it means to be liveral. Not to mention what the far right likes to call liberal. ie, the treehugging pothead hippy environmentalists.

Apparently though my brain is too sophisticated for you to understand.

Last edited:
jfuh said:
Liberals push for equal rights and diversity.

Given the liberal definition of "diversity", that's like saying liberals push for virginity and fuccking. :lol:

Apparently though my brain is too sophisticated for you to understand.

I know one thing about your "sophisticated" brain :)lol:) - if you're asian and for "diversity", you're a masochist.

alphamale said:
Given the liberal definition of "diversity", that's like saying liberals push for virginity and fuccking. :lol:

I know one thing about your "sophisticated" brain :)lol:) - if you're asian and for "diversity", you're a masochist.
I don't see how either of those two would make me seek pleasure in pain, abuse or domination.

GySgt said:
However, your eagerness to place our educational system among the systems of third world states is absurd. Once beyond the rediculous debates and ignorant opinions in the liberal arts faculties, our knowledge industry has no precedent or peer. We atract the best faculty, the best researchers, and the best student minds from the entire world. The U.S. is also far ahead of other nations in the flexibility and utility of its educational system. .

I agree whole heartedly. I was educated in Asia came to the US fully armed with advanced calculus (Calc I,II, multivariable calculus and differential equations by 11th grade) , physics and chemistry and have been pleasantly surpised by the challenge and intellect both on the undergraduate level and post graduate level. The American students were initially behind on the science level (I was one of the many Asian science/mathmatic majors) but you guys caught up easily and I feel your pre college education (despite all its flaws) allows for more creative, independant thought. Never felt discriminated against because I was Asian. Get rid of affirmative action but get rid of legacy admissions as well. (for the undeserved rich underpreformers whowere lucky to born into rich daddies and mommies).

Last edited:
alphamale said:

[mod mode]

:smash:

alphamale, stop insulting other members. You've been warned.

[/mod mode]

jfuh said:
I don't see how either of those two would make me seek pleasure in pain, abuse or domination.

AA is a liberal policy, liberals want forced equality, not equal opportunity, higher taxes, etc.

If something is neither liberal or conservative, then how could it exist if not agreed upon to be right by both parties?

Synch said:
AA is a liberal policy, liberals want forced equality, not equal opportunity, higher taxes, etc.

If something is neither liberal or conservative, then how could it exist if not agreed upon to be right by both parties?
You're kidding right? The republicans hardly represent conservative ideology just as the dems hardly represent liberal ideologies anymore. They only represent power mongering criminals.
The dems want AA because they want minorities to vote for them, that's the base that the dems try to appease.
AA is about appeasement, not political ideologies.

jfuh said:
You're kidding right? The republicans hardly represent conservative ideology just as the dems hardly represent liberal ideologies anymore. They only represent power mongering criminals.
The dems want AA because they want minorities to vote for them, that's the base that the dems try to appease.
AA is about appeasement, not political ideologies.

AA is forced higher education equality of different ethnics groups, kinda like higher taxes for the rich...

Ah, so being pro life isn't an idealogy to suppress woman? But just to appease the religious base? Hell, ID, and all religion aren't conservative, but just appeasement.

Everything's appeasement then. Higher taxes and NHC for the poor. Lower taxes and privatization for the middle class by conservatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale
Given the liberal definition of "diversity", that's like saying liberals push for virginity and fuccking.
I know one thing about your "sophisticated" brain () - if you're asian and for "diversity", you're a masochist.

[mod mode]

alphamale, stop insulting other members. You've been warned.

[/mod mode]

You're on some kind of hair-trigger detect-alphamale-insult mode, and you missed the point, which wassssss: It is self-degrading self-harming to affirm legal policies that hurt oneself. Get it yet?

alphamale said:
You're on some kind of hair-trigger detect-alphamale-insult mode, and you missed the point, which wassssss: It is self-degrading self-harming to affirm legal policies that hurt oneself. Get it yet?

I don't care what the point was. Make it without insulting other forum members.

Back
Top Bottom