• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is worse for high school students?

What is worse for high school students?

• Allowwd to have cellphones in the classroom .

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Allowed to smoke weed in the classroom.

Votes: 13 86.7%

• Total voters
Cellphones are a huge distraction from reading and writing in school.
I don't disagree with this .. although .. it's much larger than a tactical approach. The lack of discipline, which includes the prevention of cell phone usage is missing. There is no discipline in today's school system. A huge miss and the reason we see people graduating without the ability to do math and read. It's a Democrat paradise.

I don't disagree with this .. although .. it's much larger than a tactical approach. The lack of discipline, which includes the prevention of cell phone usage is missing. There is no discipline in today's school system. A huge miss and the reason we see people graduating without the ability to do math and read. It's a Democrat paradise.

Actually the worst education systems are generally in red states.

Allowing cellphones in classrooms is one of the greatest act of malpractice in the history of education.

And why is it allowed? Because of the parents.

In a sense, what difference does it make if your kid has a phone during a school shooting? Yes, it would be good to know your kid is okay, but they can be used to make matters worse. And really, the chances one of our kids will be involved in a school shooting is pretty remote.

Well - made all the difference in the world to me, because I knew that at any time, I could call my kids and get to them if need be. You always think there's a slim chance of a shooting near you, until it actually happens.

Actually the worst education systems are generally in red states.

Allowing cellphones in classrooms is one of the greatest act of malpractice in the history of education.

And why is it allowed? Because of the parents.
You are exactly correct ... and I don't care if it is blue or red. Parents, who decide to have children, fail to deliver on the education front and support of education to make children grow.

Pretty sure only someone with a drug problem would agree with you.
Weed use isn't a drug problem.

I know this breaks the company line, but there are heroin users who aren't junkies. I had a couple of crew who were heroin users and they were more reliable than the binge drinkers.

Weed use isn't a drug problem.

I know this breaks the company line, but there are heroin users who aren't junkies. I had a couple of crew who were heroin users and they were more reliable than the binge drinkers.
If you can't get through a school day without smoking a joint I'd say you have a drug problem.

If you can't get through a school day without smoking a joint I'd say you have a drug problem.

Watch a kid try and get through the day without a phone. Its probably worse.

I was high when I got runner-up "Most Improved" in my senior year.
I’m not sure if I would be bragging about smoking pot in high school and that “improving” grades.

Then again, I’m the type that strives for excellence, not just “improvement”

You are exactly correct ... and I don't care if it is blue or red. Parents, who decide to have children, fail to deliver on the education front and support of education to make children grow.

You know, 90% of the discipline problems in schools could be solved if parents threatened to take away their kids' phone. Usually they want the school to do it, but won't do it themselves.

I’m not sure if I would be bragging about smoking pot in high school and that “improving” grades.

Then again, I’m the type that strives for excellence, not just “improvement”

Generally speaking, cellphones in the classroom are an obstacle to both.

I chose weed in the classrooms only because it's still not legal.

Cellphones should not be allowed in classrooms. When my 3 boys were in HS they had to give their phones to me before leaving in the mornings and they got them back after they did their homework at night.
Both of our kids each got their first cellphones (flip) in 5th grade
Sadly, we did that in case of a school emergency, especially a shooter, that would allow them to contact 911 and us.
Thankfully there was never had a problem
Never regretted that decision
Even when upgraded to iPhones, we never had an issue with either of them
With ride requirements and extracurricular activities, their ability to communicate with us was perfect - we always knew where they were
No regrets

Generally speaking, cellphones in the classroom are an obstacle to both.
Well it is certainly enlightening and puts things in context.

When people think kids in school should smoke pot - and brag about smoking pot in high school improving grades - it makes it much easier to understand the depth of their opinions.

Well it is certainly enlightening and puts things in context.

When people think kids in school should smoke pot - and brag about smoking pot in high school improving grades - it makes it much easier to understand the depth of their opinions.

I haven't recommended smoking pot in class. Nor am I bragging. I am simply using anecdotal evidence to suggest that smoking pot can improve grades.

On the other hand, I have seen cellphone addiction simply ruin a student's performance in class. I see it all the time.

I haven't recommended smoking pot in class. Nor am I bragging. I am simply using anecdotal evidence to suggest that smoking pot can improve grades. I would bet that there is other evidence to support this as well.

On the other hand, I have seen cellphone addiction simply ruin a student's performance in class. I see it all the time.
Yeah, pardon me for not thinking minors should be doing drugs.

Scary world that a public school
teacher would even anecdotally suggest it.

Does that include pharmaceuticals?
Are we now discussing medical marijuana? Because even then smoking during school wouldn’t be allowed unless there was a prescription and I would assume that it would be with a doctor’s order and likely an edible - not sitting in class with a joint or a vape pen.

As for pharmaceuticals, plenty of kids have prescriptions that they take - if they’re to be taken at school, at least here it requires a doctor’s note and that the school nurse has the prescription - Little Johnny doesn’t walk around with Adderal or antibiotics in their backpack.

Are we now discussing medical marijuana? Because even then smoking during school wouldn’t be allowed unless there was a prescription and I would assume that it would be with a doctor’s order and likely an edible - not sitting in class with a joint or a vape pen.

As for pharmaceuticals, plenty of kids have prescriptions that they take - if they’re to be taken at school, at least here it requires a doctor’s note and that the school nurse has the prescription - Little Johnny doesn’t walk around with Adderal or antibiotics in their backpack.
So, your objection isn't to chemical alteration of brain function. It's just the lack of permission slip that bothers you?

So, your objection isn't to chemical alteration of brain function. It's just the lack of permission slip that bothers you?
Minors shouldn’t take drugs unless they are prescribed - not sure why that’s a complicated concept

Neither is worse than ‘social promotion’. If the ‘student’ is going to be automagically promoted to the next grade level then allowing additional distractions in the classroom would make little difference.

That is a poll question that needs answering? My guess is the OP was high when they wrote it. Maybe in school too. ;)
Our winning post for this silly thread.

Who would think it's okay to smoke pot in school?

🤪🤡🤯

Back
Top Bottom