• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What is "victory"?

victory is to win the war no probs about that.so lets have a go and win.

mikeey

YNKYH8R said:
What are you touched? The clones weren’t cloned from Jengo Fett (Boba Fett’s Father) Job of the Hut? Who the hell is that? Jabba the Hutt maybe? He’s a notorious gangster within the Hutt clan.
What about the immigrant dispossible force? You brought it up?

YNKYH8R said:
Well I guess I was wrong there isn't a damn thing wrong with this country.
Dellutional? :lol:

I can't imagine that victory is possible in iraq. Victory can only be acheived if one side surrenders or is eradicated. And as they will never surrender nor will we the fight will continue...until they're dead or everyone else in the world is...

goligoth said:
I can't imagine that victory is possible in iraq. Victory can only be acheived if one side surrenders or is eradicated. And as they will never surrender nor will we the fight will continue...until they're dead or everyone else in the world is...
Then there is also what happens if Iraq bcomes an Islamic State, following in Iran’s influence? PS. Harvey Fierstein is a gay actor he was in Mrs. Doubtfire and Independence Day to name a few.

So, according to what has been said on this thread, there appears to be no clear cut definition of what total victory in Iraq is. This makes the job of the troops on the ground very difficult and can serve to demoralize them. Someone needs to come up with something and damn fast.

You know, it seems to me everyone is more concerned with what we as a nation are going to look like in the eyes of the world. Our soldiers and people in uniform are still going to be heroes no matter what. There are some things that are just out of their hands. Defeating AL Qudea is nice idea but too far reaching for a conventional military. Defeating the insurgency has to happen from within; the parties have to unite under one flag; so the military has no say over what happens in their government.

When we made the push for war some countries said “no, don’t do it” and “we” weren’t going to listen to what anyone had to say or think. And now when people are discussing leaving within the next year some say “what will look like cutting and running like that”.

Whose opinion is everyone so worried about anyway? Our own, the world’s, or the enemies?

Inuyasha said:
So, according to what has been said on this thread, there appears to be no clear cut definition of what total victory in Iraq is. This makes the job of the troops on the ground very difficult and can serve to demoralize them. Someone needs to come up with something and damn fast.
Victory will be a small pull out before the '06 elections and a nearly complete pull out before the '08 elections.

scottyz said:
Victory will be a small pull out before the '06 elections and a nearly complete pull out before the '08 elections.
You may be right. Which will come first "victory" or American citizens tired of war? It almost makes me think that any military incursion from this point on is going to be highly scrutinized.

victory"? means give the people a something like love that u cannot give.

U just think of yourselves

and **** the rest.

$$$$$$$$$$$ money

mikeey

mikeey said:
victory"? means give the people a something like love that u cannot give.

U just think of yourselves

and **** the rest.

$$$$$$$$$$$ money

mikeey
Once again, look it up in a dictionary genuis!

Victory
One entry found for victory.
Main Entry: vic·to·ry
Pronunciation: 'vik-t(&-)rE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -ries
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French victorie, from Latin victoria, from victor
1 : the overcoming of an enemy or antagonist
2 : achievement of mastery or success in a struggle or endeavor against odds or difficulties

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/victory

What will you make up next!? :mrgreen:

stsburns said:
Once again, look it up in a dictionary genuis!

Victory

1 : the overcoming of an enemy or antagonist
2 : achievement of mastery or success in a struggle or endeavor against odds or difficulties

This is not that easy. If you are talking about what most people are you are talking about a war on terrorism. Definition number one does not fit very well because an enemy is a concrete entity, So one can have victory over the antagonist "Al-Queada" but that is not a victory over terrorism. it's a victory over one agent of terrorism. Terrorism is not an enemy it is a tactic used by an enemy against some one else.

The second definition is closer but is it possible to attain, maybe only if you limit yourself to one area of terrorism. In this case Muslim fundamentalism. But the odds are incredible because you do not have just one enemy you have dozens and they are not often linked together. The Arabs are especially disorganized so these groups may fight among themselves and that is a positive for the side wishing to get rid of this fundamentalist thought. Turn the fundamentalist against themselves. How?

What the Bush administration is looking for in "total victory" is not in the dictionary. It is still to be defined.

YNKYH8R said:
You know, it seems to me everyone is more concerned with what we as a nation are going to look like in the eyes of the world. Our soldiers and people in uniform are still going to be heroes no matter what. There are some things that are just out of their hands. Defeating AL Qudea is nice idea but too far reaching for a conventional military. Defeating the insurgency has to happen from within; the parties have to unite under one flag; so the military has no say over what happens in their government.

When we made the push for war some countries said “no, don’t do it” and “we” weren’t going to listen to what anyone had to say or think. And now when people are discussing leaving within the next year some say “what will look like cutting and running like that”.

Whose opinion is everyone so worried about anyway? Our own, the world’s, or the enemies?
What you've said is half right...The "war" cannot be won by military means alone...But diplomacy alone would be much worse...There HAS to be a combination...

What MUST be done is to be combative against the ones who hold on to their radical beliefs WHILE changing the ideology so that future generations will not go that direction...

It's sad when some people don't have the patience for this and believe that if it's not done in the next few months, than it's not worth doing at all...

YNKYH8R said:
Then there is also what happens if Iraq bcomes an Islamic State, following in Iran’s influence? PS. Harvey Fierstein is a gay actor he was in Mrs. Doubtfire and Independence Day to name a few.
OH CRAP!!!! he's gay? that sucks! But despite that fact it's still a cool quote.

If Iraq becomes an Islamic state then so what? Is it a prerequisite that you must be Islamic to be a terrorist or something? I probably misunderstood the post but could you explain please.

YNKYH8R said:
You may be right. Which will come first "victory" or American citizens tired of war? It almost makes me think that any military incursion from this point on is going to be highly scrutinized.
We won't get tired of war.

We still have some troops in Japan and in Korea and Vietnam don't we? Seriously I'm asking I don't know...I thought we did and still do.

Victory won't happen but eventually our troops will have more pressing matters then hunting down terrorists. And that is when we will be out of Iraq.

We still have some troops in Japan and in Korea and Vietnam don't we? Seriously I'm asking I don't know...I thought we did and still do.

Japan and Korea, yes.

Vietnam, no, with the exception of a relative handful assigned to the search for MIA remains.

If you are interested enough to peruse the site noted in the last post, and are interested in the number of countries in which the US has a military presence, keep the following in mind...

there are 192 countries in the world, all of which, except Bhutan, Cuba, Iran, and North Korea, have diplomatic relations with the United States.

and...

the United States has troops in 135 countries.

As the world's pre-eminent economy, almost every country wants to maintain trade relations with the US. In most of these countries, we will maintain either an embassy or a consulate or in the smaller countries, an affairs or representative office. Remember that "having troops in a country" presumably includes the military detachments at all these embassy's and consulates around the world.

goligoth said:
OH CRAP!!!!If Iraq becomes an Islamic state then so what? Is it a prerequisite that you must be Islamic to be a terrorist or something? I probably misunderstood the post but could you explain please.
Church states often evolve into dictatorships, and then Iraq will be back to square one.

goligoth said:
We won't get tired of war.

We have several bases in Japan, I was stationed at one for 2 years. It has little to do with war though, we are there with the permission of the Japanese government. If they ask us to leave, we will leave, but they won't, because we're good for the local economies. Terrorists like to illustrate U.S. imperialism by pointing out how many troops are stationed abroad. But they forget, we are there by permission, and sometimes by request, but not by force.

I think it is of importance to mentioned that we pay rent for all those bases or the majority of them and that comes from your tax dollar. Just so everybody knows.

goligoth said:
OH CRAP!!!! he's gay? that sucks! But despite that fact it's still a cool quote.

If Iraq becomes an Islamic state then so what? Is it a prerequisite that you must be Islamic to be a terrorist or something? I probably misunderstood the post but could you explain please.
No no I'm not saying it is a prerequisite....far from it. What I'm saying is after all is said and done what happens if the Iraqi people vote in a Shia who holds strong ties with Iran? What if he and the parliment vote to lean towards being an Islamic state?

You are right though they'll be back to square one. So does that make it a waste of time a resources or do we bow our heads and say "well you voted for it you got it"?

Obviously there are candidates that are pro-American that would be in our best interest to be in power. I see this election being a preview of civil war. Because if a Shia gets in the SUnni's will be doing the man dance in the parking lot. And Allawi's lost 13 assistance over the course of his campaign.

IMO if they end up being an Islamic state then that's choice. We'll most likely be coming home nad Iran may or may not end up being chummy with Iraq. Remember that we did Iran a favor by taking out Saddham.

Back
Top Bottom