• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is the take away with these anti-Obamacare ads?

What is the take away with these anti-Obamacare ads?

• Total voters

aberrant85

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I have heard the argument to defund and repeal Obamacare. That's one thing. Then there's this:

These ads assume the rollout of the Affordable Care Act continues. It then addresses young people and tells them to opt out of it. I see a big difference between opposing a law and the message that these ads send.

I have heard the argument to defund and repeal Obamacare. That's one thing. Then there's this:

These ads assume the rollout of the Affordable Care Act continues. It then addresses young people and tells them to opt out of it. I see a big difference between opposing a law and the message that these ads send.

First amendment baby. Works against douchebaggery every time, though it might take awhile to work. I say make more ads opposing the lying bastards who voted that unconstitutional bill. Screw Obama care.

I think more than anything the goal was to try to create negative sentiment over the healthcare law. Like so many other conservative PR initiatives, all it did was resounded with conservatives and affirmed the dislike for anything associated with Obama conservatives already have, thus winning over close to nobody. Meanwhile it makes everybody else think these are some really creepy people.

The conservative movement is expert in getting their existing base worked up and on board through various media; there's nobody better. At the same time they are almost total failures at winning over new people who are not already on their side. In fact I think they do a better job at driving their own people away, albeit in relatively small numbers, than they are a winning new people over.

First amendment baby. Works against douchebaggery every time, though it might take awhile to work. I say make more ads opposing the lying bastards who voted that unconstitutional bill. Screw Obama care.

Did you miss this?
National Federation of Independent Business v. Sebelius - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But anyways what this means is that people are getting real desperate to try to screw this bill. Hell they are basically threatening a government shut down over a bill passed years and years ago. Sad and pathetic.

Stupid scary stuff for the simple minded. Kinda like death panels.

These ads, since they were designed to hook younger folks like myself into opposing the ACA, is damning evidence that shows these guys have bloody idea on how to talk to young people. A serious issue like health insurance and the effects the new law may or may not have on purchasing insurance, are a lot more complex than Uncle Creeper Sam, and they require a more deep, honest conversation from those who oppose Obamacare if they want to reach the demographic they're trying to target.

I'm surprised they didn't try to churn out some awful macros and memes.

Stupid scary stuff for the simple minded. Kinda like death panels.

Actually, death panels are quite scary.

The difference is that a government death panel has the potential to be open and changable by voters. We've already seen this happen on the transplant cases.

Now compare that to how private insurance does its death panels. No idea how? Because they don't tell anyone. It's all done in the back room by accountants with some medical knowledge. They know how much X costs and how many people actually need it. They run the numbers of how many they can deny to save Y dollars and how long they can prolong service until that person is dead. The thing is we don't know what procedures and care they're running it on. And every insurer does this.

Healthcare is a finite resource. And will all finite resources, rationing occurs. Now, do we want a system where we have no idea how the rationing is done, or a system that can be open and transparent?

People like Sarah Palin and her death panel claim are either stupid or dishonest. Death panels are such a problem....but we want everyone to have private insurance which hides its death panels until it's too late and we want to prevent people from having health care were death panels are transparent? Makes no sense other than she's either stupid or dishonest.

If you have private insurance, you have a death panel. To argue otherwise is to argue that healthcare is an infinite resource.
If you have public insurance, you have a death panel.
If you have no insurance, you have a death panel.

Healthcare is not infinite. Therefore rationing occurs. But here rationing may lead to insufficient care and thus death, as oppose to you not getting that gold iPhone 5S.

I have noticed that. It is due to the fact that upon closer scrutiny the fact that death panels were made up by Palin to scare the tea party types.
For some reason, an honest discussion of death panels results in the death panel killing the thread.

I have noticed that. It is due to the fact that upon closer scrutiny the fact that death panels were made up by Palin to scare the tea party types.

Every discussion on Death Panels where I bring that it kills the discussion. Those harping on don't have a response period. So they run. Every time. The whole notion of fearing Obamacare over death panels is idiotic when you have a death panel in private insurance you have 0% control over.

Back
Top Bottom