• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Is The Reason We Dont End The $100 Bill?

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I think it is because the CIA needs it to spread around the globe in their covert operations.

Anyone have a better explanation?

I think it is because the CIA needs it to spread around the globe in their covert operations.

How about because people still use $100 dollar bills.If anything it would be more advantageous for the government to ban $100 bills because that means people would more use credit and debit cards for larger purchases which enables to the government to track what you purchase.

So instead of providing a reason why you think it should be ended, you just insert some random conspiracy theory that you also didn't explain. We use a base 10 number system and 100 is a very commonly used bill. What possible reason would we have to get rid of it?

It would cost more to produce twice as many $50 bills.

So instead of providing a reason why you think it should be ended, you just insert some random conspiracy theory that you also didn't explain. We use a base 10 number system and 100 is a very commonly used bill. What possible reason would we have to get rid of it?

Counterfeiting would be the biggest reason to end it.

Yes, we will never change to a truly cashless society, though we are certainly close to it in a de facto sense. And a large part of that is because of what you say--the powerful CIA has been in the dope business at least since the 60's, and the dope business requires currency to operate.

Given the continued raise in using either plastic or digital money and the continued fall of paying in cash, one might say that pretty soon currency won't be needed.

Because people still use it.

Seriously, you could hardly come up with a worse explanation

Europeans want to phase out high denomination bills for the same reason they restrict the amounts you can legally pay in cash, which is in order to make tax evasion more difficult.

Counterfeiting would be the biggest reason to end it.

That won't really cut down on counterfeiting. Hundreds are already viewed very suspiciously and are closely watched. If they have their counterfeit methods working it's trivial to make five 20's or two 50's instead of the 100, and you'll garner less suspicion.

So I still don't see a single reason to get rid of the 100.

That won't really cut down on counterfeiting. Hundreds are already viewed very suspiciously and are closely watched. If they have their counterfeit methods working it's trivial to make five 20's or two 50's instead of the 100, and you'll garner less suspicion.

There's also no reason to keep it either.

There's also no reason to keep it either.

Sure there is: People use it and it's a standardized denomination in a base-10 numbering system. At no point have you or anyone else in this thread given one single rational reason to get rid of it.

Sure there is: People use it and it's a standardized denomination in a base-10 numbering system. At no point have you or anyone else in this thread given one single rational reason to get rid of it.

People used the 1000 dollar bill and it was standard base-10 but not enough people use it or the $100. There are plenty of places that wont even take 100s anymore. At no point have you or anyone else in this thread given one single rational reason to keep it.

i generally ask the bank not to give me anything larger than a twenty, because i routinely have businesses reject 50s and 100s. maybe in 1990 i could understand that, but at a time when a tank of gas could push fifty bucks, that's just utterly ridiculous. ****, even my cell phone bill is more than a hundred bucks. i've never understood why stores are allowed to reject US currency. get a mother****ing safe, and put the hundred in there if you're worried about robbery or whatever.

i generally ask the bank not to give me anything larger than a twenty, because i routinely have businesses reject 50s and 100s. maybe in 1990 i could understand that, but at a time when a tank of gas could push fifty bucks, that's just utterly ridiculous. ****, even my cell phone bill is more than a hundred bucks. i've never understood why stores are allowed to reject US currency. get a mother****ing safe, and put the hundred in there if you're worried about robbery or whatever.

Well speaking as a former cashier large bills like 100s and 50s are annoying because people usually need a large amount of charge yet you never give them as change, they are not useful, they just kind of sit there. There was numerous times I could not make change for someone because someone with large bill cleaned me out of all my small bills. Also, who pays their phone bill with cash? Here in Canada before the new polymer bills it was mostly a counterfeiting thing as well.

Europeans want to phase out high denomination bills for the same reason they restrict the amounts you can legally pay in cash, which is in order to make tax evasion more difficult.

Who wants to live in a society like that?

If I go to buy a car private party, I don't want limits on how much I can pay for it.

It is easier to hack debit cards then to counterfeit bills.

People used the 1000 dollar bill and it was standard base-10 but not enough people use it or the $100. There are plenty of places that wont even take 100s anymore. At no point have you or anyone else in this thread given one single rational reason to keep it.

Plenty of places is all places?

Do you know what solves that? Polymer bills.

Just etransfer.

Sure. I don't want everybody knowing my business, if you can get the seller to agree to anything but cash.

Everything else can be a scam.

Well speaking as a former cashier large bills like 100s and 50s are annoying because people usually need a large amount of charge yet you never give them as change, they are not useful, they just kind of sit there. There was numerous times I could not make change for someone because someone with large bill cleaned me out of all my small bills. Also, who pays their phone bill with cash? Here in Canada before the new polymer bills it was mostly a counterfeiting thing as well.

i was using the phone bill as an example for perspective. i routinely have retail purchases which approach or exceed $100; groceries, clothes, etc. i could see rejecting a fifty or hundred dollar note in 1990 or so, but not in the current economy. the fact that some places won't take anything larger than a twenty is ridiculous.

Sure. I don't want everybody knowing my business, if you can get the seller to agree to anything but cash.

Everything else can be a scam.

It is a pretty normal thing for younger people, it is much easier and safer than carrying around cash.

Back
Top Bottom