• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is the point?

Infer, and what evidence?
An adequate answer to that question would be a full-on reconstruction of Paul’s thought and practice. To characterize it generally, it looks like he and other early Christians had ritual, devotional, and meditational practices that haven’t been preserved into modern times, and the idea was that one would combine the results of those along with basically everything else one would observe about life into a personal gnosis of the Christian mysteries. But of those we only have a few hints.

Generally speaking, it’s not a program that’s going to make much sense to a modern mind. But it patently wasn’t a program of “believe what I tell you without any evidence.” That idea came very much later, developed from 16th through mid 17th centuries, by the second-wave reformers, mainly. First wave reformers, Luther and Cauvin, invoked it often but were more concerned with other ideas.

To help us recognize when you (we) are the one with the deaf ears.

The people with (figuratively) deaf ears are those who think Christianity itself is evil just because millions of people who identify themselves as Christians act evil. We have our own false preacher here (Elora), who can't tell the difference between Christianity and her JW beliefs so people look at her obvious lies about the Bible and say Christianity is evil. They see what many Catholics do and believe all Protestants are evil too, especially in the abortion forum. These people need to unplug their ears and open their eyes to know it is the people, not the Bible, that make Christianity appear to be about hate instead of love (which could not be further from the truth).

The people with (figuratively) deaf ears are those who think Christianity itself is evil just because millions of people who identify themselves as Christians act evil. We have our own false preacher here (Elora), who can't tell the difference between Christianity and her JW beliefs so people look at her obvious lies about the Bible and say Christianity is evil. They see what many Catholics do and believe all Protestants are evil too, especially in the abortion forum. These people need to unplug their ears and open their eyes to know it is the people, not the Bible, that make Christianity appear to be about hate instead of love (which could not be further from the truth).
I do not understand the "fire and brimstone" OT to that of Jesus' teaching of love..etc in the NT.
This seemingly contradictory doctrine seems to confuse the non-Christians while we also dislike Christians cherry-picking between NT and OT dogma depending upon the particular issue in question.

I do not understand the "fire and brimstone" OT to that of Jesus' teaching of love..etc in the NT.
This seemingly contradictory doctrine seems to confuse the non-Christians while we also dislike Christians cherry-picking between NT and OT dogma depending upon the particular issue in question.

Jesus is one of the three Persons of God, so it is better to start with the NT than read the Bible in chronological order if you are not a Christian yet. Unfortunately many non-Christians have a habit of thinking the Bible is like any other book - meant to be read from cover to cover - and only know the damage the Father caused, not the love his Son demonstrated.

Jesus is one of the three Persons of God, so it is better to start with the NT than read the Bible in chronological order if you are not a Christian yet. Unfortunately many non-Christians have a habit of thinking the Bible is like any other book - meant to be read from cover to cover - and only know the damage the Father caused, not the love his Son demonstrated.
smile-laughing.gif

OP brings up a great point. There is no reason to argue if too many people cannot even agree on what constitutes a “fact”…

OP brings up a great point. There is no reason to argue if too many people cannot even agree on what constitutes a “fact”…

I have asked myself this for a long time, and I think I've found an answer that satisfied me (besides entertainment). Self improvement. I don't need to convince you, I just have to make sure I am not convinced by you. This of course assumes you can be honest with yourself.

Self improvement. I just have to make sure I am not convinced by you.
Another direct contradiction...not being open to being convinced/learning something new is not self improvement in any sense of the word...

Another direct contradiction...not being open to being convinced/learning something new is not self improvement in any sense of the word...
You misinterpreted my words. My fault on wording. If I am not convinced, I continue with my views. If I am convinced, I adjust them for the future. I meant me myself is my own benchmark. I would think my last line about being honest with yourself made that clear

You misinterpreted my words. My fault on wording. If I am not convinced, I continue with my views. If I am convinced, I adjust them for the future. I meant me myself is my own benchmark. I would think my last line about being honest with yourself made that clear
Thank you for clarifying...as God's Word says...

"So, then, each of us will render an account for himself to God." Romans 14:12

So, if we deceive ourselves, we have hurt no one but ourselves...

Back
Top Bottom