• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is the point of this forum?

Hoplite

Technomancer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
This IS a political question, not a suggestion or complaint.

What is the point of this forum, or of political discourse groups in general? I think most of us learn a little something here, but beyond that, I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen someone admit fault or change their mind on here. We're at each other's throats for EVERY little thing.

And it's like it's a radical section of the forum, it's EVERYONE. I try to be as moderate as I can but even I have to admit that there are some posters here whose writing I cant read without already having this "This is gonna be BS" mindset.

Do we gain anything from this? Is there any progress to be made from political discourse like this, where NO ONE can stick to issues or even admit fault? I realize not all political discourse resembles this forum, but it seems like the majority of it does.

This seems to be more of a battleground of ideologies where two sides smash against each other until the thread dies or the conversation tapers off. Nothing new is ever really brought out, no one (apparently) has given any ground, and no new ideas have been brought forward.

With this in mind, what is the point of places like this forum?

I don't know about anyone else, but for me, this forum is a great learning experience, I've learned heaps about opposing views, different politics etc. Also I enjoy debating, whether I win or lose, regardless of how the debate ends, I enjoy the clash, espousing and defending my views, or whatever view I pick for debate. While the overly partisan or those who blindly follow one issue are somewhat annoying, there are enough reasonable people here to make it fun.

I have a bad feeling about this thread. Just keep in mind that I am watching.

1984-Big-Brother-Poster-Orwell_2.png

I don't know about anyone else, but for me, this forum is a great learning experience, I've learned heaps about opposing views, different politics etc. Also I enjoy debating, whether I win or lose, regardless of how the debate ends, I enjoy the clash, espousing and defending my views, or whatever view I pick for debate. While the overly partisan or those who blindly follow one issue are somewhat annoying, there are enough reasonable people here to make it fun.
I would have to say I'm in this boat as well. I like my views challenged because it makes ME think about them and there IS that very rare honest exchange.

But that, to me, seems kinda like moving a mountain to get to one gem underneath it.

It's in no way meant to insult the mods or the people who run the forum, I have no issue with either. But it's meant as a microcosm example of a wider idea.

What is the point of this forum, or of political discourse groups in general? I think most of us learn a little something here, but beyond that, I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen someone admit fault or change their mind on here. We're at each other's throats for EVERY little thing.

And it's like it's a radical section of the forum, it's EVERYONE. I try to be as moderate as I can but even I have to admit that there are some posters here whose writing I cant read without already having this "This is gonna be BS" mindset.

Do we gain anything from this? Is there any progress to be made from political discourse like this, where NO ONE can stick to issues or even admit fault? I realize not all political discourse resembles this forum, but it seems like the majority of it does.

This seems to be more of a battleground of ideologies where two sides smash against each other until the thread dies or the conversation tapers off. Nothing new is ever really brought out, no one (apparently) has given any ground, and no new ideas have been brought forward.

It's one of those, "just doesn't quite fit" places.

Where a thread may have multiple issues, political messages, etc.

Edit: Reading fail on my part, I thought you were talking about the "General Discussion" forum.:lol:

Some people can't admit fault, some people won't change.
For me, I've learned a lot about myself just from this place.

Last edited:
It's in no way meant to insult the mods or the people who run the forum, I have no issue with either. But it's meant as a microcosm example of a wider idea.

I know that and it wasn't meant towards you. Just concerned that others may not see this thread in the vein in which you posted it.

May I suggest something I've seen on other political fora. An area that's libs only, another cons only, a third for independents only. Having a time out place to talk with those who are like-minded means you don't have to go around wearing armor every time you post.

I sometimes prefer not to come here because of people being unneccessarily nasty, seemingly out of the blue. Having a restricted area means there is one place here where that is sure not to happen.

Regards from Rosie

:roll: :roll: :roll:

As to the opening post, I think its entertainment for people of a bit higher intelligence than would normally just spend the same time reading People or some other entertainment rag.

But as for actually "getting anything out of it", no...you don't get anything out of this except time killed.

Last edited:
Hoplite, et al,

I never know what these forums are about, until I listen to the feedback.

This IS a political question, not a suggestion or complaint. ... ... ...
(COMMENT)

Each question is a risk, and each can be a flop --- or not.

The interaction and the point-of-view.

A N D --- Sometimes it's just plain fun.

Sometimes I learn something new and sometimes I don't.

And sometimes, I run into truly brilliant people, and sometimes I skip across the spectrum.

But, if I walk away with a smile, it was a good day.

v/r
R

Last edited:
I've learned plenty of things here and have had my mind changed on others. I've heard several posters say the same.

For anyone interested in a wide range of news from widely varying biased sources it's very useful. The more information you have the more likely you are to approximate the truth of matters. I also wouldn't understand the conservative movement in America at all without visiting forums like this, and I've shifted right myself in the process (though still left of centre by American metrics).

DP is what you choose to get out of it. In my time here, I have learned a ton of information about a variety of topics, have learned how to consolidate my positions on things, learned about a whole host of other positions, and have changed my my mind on certain things. That's what I want to get out of a forum such as this.

DP is what you choose to get out of it. In my time here, I have learned a ton of information about a variety of topics, have learned how to consolidate my positions on things, learned about a whole host of other positions, and have changed my my mind on certain things. That's what I want to get out of a forum such as this.

Agree with this ^^^

I've certainly learned a few things about structuring an argument and about how NOT to behave in a debate with complete strangers. Like Ben, I've learned a lot about the US brand of conservatism and right-wing libertarianism and neo-conservatism (thanks, Fiddy!).

I have a very limited social life, living where I do in Bumf*** del Este, and I've had many enjoyable and entertaining evenings in the company of some very witty and agreeable people.

What more could you ask of the Interwebz?

I guess the biggest thing for me is that I now have a better understanding of how others think and what they consider important. Without this forum, I would likely have some tunnel vision.

For anyone interested in a wide range of news from widely varying biased sources it's very useful. The more information you have the more likely you are to approximate the truth of matters. I also wouldn't understand the conservative movement in America at all without visiting forums like this, and I've shifted right myself in the process (though still left of centre by American metrics).

Thank You - Many Europeans(and others) because of the media have a dim or restrictive view towards American Conservatives. In short they forget how huge a Country the USA is. This view was on total display in June 2008 as Obama spoke in berlin. Some in that crowd possibly were waiting for the :Loaves & Fish's " to be distributed.

I've been part of several different forums and this one has been the best. Nothing to complain about. :shrug:

I use this forum to see how "in the tank" the left is with Obama. It gives me an idea of what kind of opposition will be felt in November. I also enjoy seeing "undisclosed" and "moderate" labels to people who blindly support Obama and who knock conservatives left and right. It's amusing to me and I do enjoy the laughter. What I find funny is I can't find a single "undisclosed" or "moderate" on here who supports the conservative agenda, but a lot sure support Obama's. I guess the old adage continues, people are getting more and more scared to associate themselves with the left. Hiding behind those labels, they THINK, helps. But just reading their history of posts reveals, in very vivid color,which way they truly lean.

I don't really get much out of this forum. All it is is a bunch of cough ups of the headlines from liberal news organizations if it's a leftist poster, or right wing sites if it's a conservative. It's a nice place to discuss issues but I don't come here to GET ANYTHING OUT OF this forum. I use it for entertainment purposes only. It's not an educational site and not meant to be. Pretty much if you come here with a political agenda people going against you will just solidify it, not open you up to new ideas.

If you come here with an open mind, I think you can learn a lot. If you already know which way you lean this place can be frustrating or fun, depending on which side of the boat you dip your paddle in.

I use this forum to see how "in the tank" the left is with Obama. It gives me an idea of what kind of opposition will be felt in November. I also enjoy seeing "undisclosed" and "moderate" labels to people who blindly support Obama and who knock conservatives left and right. It's amusing to me and I do enjoy the laughter. What I find funny is I can't find a single "undisclosed" or "moderate" on here who supports the conservative agenda, but a lot sure support Obama's. I guess the old adage continues, people are getting more and more scared to associate themselves with the left. Hiding behind those labels, they THINK, helps. But just reading their history of posts reveals, in very vivid color,which way they truly lean.

I don't really get much out of this forum. All it is is a bunch of cough ups of the headlines from liberal news organizations if it's a leftist poster, or right wing sites if it's a conservative. It's a nice place to discuss issues but I don't come here to GET ANYTHING OUT OF this forum. I use it for entertainment purposes only. It's not an educational site and not meant to be. Pretty much if you come here with a political agenda people going against you will just solidify it, not open you up to new ideas.

If you come here with an open mind, I think you can learn a lot. If you already know which way you lean this place can be frustrating or fun, depending on which side of the boat you dip your paddle in.

I find that this site does little but entertain as well. It also exposes how many people on here clearly only get their information from right-wing media sources (and how others only get their information from places like HuffPo). The generalizing of the left is pretty silly.

And you're doing it right here, as well.

This site is mostly about bashing one another - usually gently, occasionally brutally. It doesn't really do anything to raise the bar of political discussion, which is sort of what I was hoping for.

It's merely a typed-out version of the shouting and screaming that occurs on talk radio and screamfests on Fox News and MSNBC.

But, there are some substantive posters out there of all stripes - like in the media, though, you have to wade through a bunch of twaddle to get to them.

I find that this site does little but entertain as well. It also exposes how many people on here clearly only get their information from right-wing media sources (and how others only get their information from places like HuffPo). The generalizing of the left is pretty silly.

And you're doing it right here, as well.

This site is mostly about bashing one another - usually gently, occasionally brutally. It doesn't really do anything to raise the bar of political discussion, which is sort of what I was hoping for.

It's merely a typed-out version of the shouting and screaming that occurs on talk radio and screamfests on Fox News and MSNBC.

But, there are some substantive posters out there of all stripes - like in the media, though, you have to wade through a bunch of twaddle to get to them.

I noticed early on that the term "Moderate" was misused by some. On that basis I had no qualms about using it from the other perspective.

Dood you talk about being a "moderate" except you are not. You run around the forums baiting us tea party folks with your vulgar mouth. You get out of these forums exactly what you put into it chief.

The point of Debate Politics is to give every poster a voice. What voice they choose to use what they seek to learn or teach, is up to each individual.

Like Spud, I learn a great deal here. It helps me keep current on political events and news.

It also allows me to interact with people from all walks of life, all socio-economic stations. I can't do that in my "real" life. It's a great place!!!

Dood you talk about being a "moderate" except you are not. You run around the forums baiting us tea party folks with your vulgar mouth. You get out of these forums exactly what you put into it chief.

I'm a bit curious as to who this was intended for (??)

I'm a bit curious as to who this was intended for (??)

the thread starter. this is about one tenth of his vulgar nasty remarks.

Betting on the sunrise is usually a safe bet. The opposition party virtually ALWAYS picks up a good number of seats after a presidential election. The teabagger's "muscle" is manifesting as something that almost always happens anyways.

Ok, I havent seen any evidence to the contrary from any teabagger. These are the people waving signs accusing Obama of being a Communist/Fascist/Muslim/Terrorist/whatever else sounds scary.

I've interacted with probably close to a hundred teabaggers and when I asked specific questions about why they were protesting, the majority could not answer them.
"What are you protesting?"
"Taxes! They're KILLING us with taxes!"
"Oh. What new taxes have you had to pay?"
"The new taxes Obama has put into place to pay for his Communist agenda!"
"Such as?"
"LOOK IT UP!"

That's usually how a conversation goes.

That strategy requires that you be able to assume a form at the last possible moment and attack while the enemy is unaware. The teabagger movement does NOT have that kind of organization or strategy.

If it wasnt already blindingly obvious, I have less than no respect for the teabagger movement.

He is exactly the problem he describes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom