• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is the point of this forum?

To post. Or not to post. THAT is the question.

My God Shakespeare has been reborn.

I use the forum to obviously debate politics, talk to some really cool people, but mostly waste time from working on my senior thesis. Hells yeah.

My God Shakespeare has been reborn.

I use the forum to obviously debate politics, talk to some really cool people, but mostly waste time from working on my senior thesis. Hells yeah.

Aye, there's the rub.

What I don't understand is why people "sort through the hyper-partisan people." If this forum were a bunch of moderates then you wouldn't learn anything. Most of the moderates on here in fact are NOT moderate at all. I find some of the liberals on here, cough cough, to actually post intelligent things sometimes. Same with the conservatives. Most of the undisclosed are simply liberals hiding behind a curtain, and they turn out to be the MOST partisan of all.

I don't sift through hyper partisan posts, I read them. Because it's THOSE posts that have some backbone, in either political direction. If you're always skirting the fence and not really saying anything one way or the other, are you really saying anything at all?

What is the point of this forum, or of political discourse groups in general?

pfft!

where else can i demonstrate my incredible brilliance and kick someone in his metaphorical nuts at the same time.

duh.

geo.

I don't sift through hyper partisan posts, I read them. Because it's THOSE posts that have some backbone, in either political direction. If you're always skirting the fence and not really saying anything one way or the other, are you really saying anything at all?

word.... my way of saying it is that the best you can expect from the middle of the road is getting run over by a bus.

geo.

1) Education (I've learned a lot here.)

2) Entertainment (Sometimes I laugh, sometimes I cry, sometimes I get angry, sometimes I get happy.

3) It's a place to talk politics (I don't have that much in real life. Most people I know are liberal or they just don't care about
politics)

4) I enjoy the people who think like me, but I'd get bored fast if they all did.

6) It makes news interesting when you get different points of view from various leans. For instance what conservative would ever imagine that some people actually think it's a good idea for government to force you to use the lightbulb of their choice. Or that chips on your recycle bins wasn't too much government intrusion.

7) I wouldn't change DP in any way that I can think of right now.

This IS a political question, not a suggestion or complaint.

What is the point of this forum, or of political discourse groups in general? I think most of us learn a little something here, but beyond that, I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen someone admit fault or change their mind on here. We're at each other's throats for EVERY little thing.

And it's like it's a radical section of the forum, it's EVERYONE. I try to be as moderate as I can but even I have to admit that there are some posters here whose writing I cant read without already having this "This is gonna be BS" mindset.

Do we gain anything from this? Is there any progress to be made from political discourse like this, where NO ONE can stick to issues or even admit fault? I realize not all political discourse resembles this forum, but it seems like the majority of it does.

This seems to be more of a battleground of ideologies where two sides smash against each other until the thread dies or the conversation tapers off. Nothing new is ever really brought out, no one (apparently) has given any ground, and no new ideas have been brought forward.

With this in mind, what is the point of places like this forum?

I love the General Political Discussion Section because it gives me a place to post stories I see as every bit as worth of discussion of anything you find in Breaking News which I see as having too narrow a set of rules based on what they (who ever they are) decide is a legitimate news source.

For example MSNBC is a source for breaking news and yet in the past three years this Channel has become almost 100% propaganda filled with hate, lies, name calling, disinformation and so on.

Now I fully expect someone to attack me personally over MSNBC and do the old: "Well what about Fox News."

Well what about Fox News. Most people can't tell the difference between News programs and Talk Shows and they are very, Very different indeed.

Yes Fox has some Conservative hosts who present their views and opinions. ''Lets use all Liberals favorite whipping boy lately."

Glenn Beck is called all kinds of hateful names and is accused of all nature of vile things, ad yet all he does is present his opinion and almost always backs up what he says and a great deal of the time uses the person who is the subject's own words or deeds to prove his point.

Now lets look at Chis Matthews whom I love to make fun of because he like two of his pals really does suffer from a lack of mental acuity.

That said, Matthews comes on the air starts calling people names and making wild accusations and makes up lies to back up his points never has any proof and even sometimes show a a clip out of context and then tells people it meant or said something that wasn't there.

He will also use Lies and fabricated stories made up by Olbermann and now Schultz as sources for his lies or uses them to bolster his lies. It would be funny if the consequences were not so dangerous.

People believe the lies.

From the actual News rooms Fox is accused of bias because the tell the stories almost all others either ignore or bury as deep as they came.

To me when Obama for example is caught in a bare faced lie Fow News will report it and all the Talk show hsots will have something to say about it all day and night until frankly it gets a little old even to an old news man.

On the same day that very same story will receive not one second of coverage ever most likely.

That my friends is a lie of omission, and it's an almost daily occurrence.

If the Fox Story that was ignored makes it to any Section of the Forums who ever posts it is immediately attacked and the story labeled as lies or worse because if if didn't come from and Obama endorsed it either didn't happen or was made up and most of the time the attackers try to Obfuscate directly or otherwise dilute the facts without ever addressing them.

The ability to come to this Section and present stories accompanied by opinions or to be able to respond to someone else who posted is great and and is almost as much fun as doing the same thing on Radio or TV.

And I even learn a thing or two from time to time because I like to deal in facts and the truth before I give and opinion and that requires a bit of old fashion research.

I think this is a good thread, and think the point is very simply the free and civil exchange of ideas although the civil part gets lost when a certain group that loves to call others haters gets to name calling

Last edited:

What is the point of this forum, or of political discourse groups in general? I think most of us learn a little something here, but beyond that, I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen someone admit fault or change their mind on here. We're at each other's throats for EVERY little thing.

And it's like it's a radical section of the forum, it's EVERYONE. I try to be as moderate as I can but even I have to admit that there are some posters here whose writing I cant read without already having this "This is gonna be BS" mindset.

Do we gain anything from this? Is there any progress to be made from political discourse like this, where NO ONE can stick to issues or even admit fault? I realize not all political discourse resembles this forum, but it seems like the majority of it does.

This seems to be more of a battleground of ideologies where two sides smash against each other until the thread dies or the conversation tapers off. Nothing new is ever really brought out, no one (apparently) has given any ground, and no new ideas have been brought forward.

I always thought the point of this forum was to troll mercilessly.

The point of political discourse? Supposedly it's to work out a common-ground or hash out the best ideas from both sides--or to put a new idea to the test. But really it's about putting on a good show for the public. The person who puts on the better show and can keep up their argument the best, without making too many insane errors, wins. A good debate is good entertainment and that's what voters want.

Personally, I view this site and its discussions as a source of evolving knowledge. It affects my views on politics, economics, foreign affairs, philosophy, religion, and just about all the other categories found here. There is a certain signal-to-noise ratio, as the ideologues attack each other and there is little valuable knowledge found there. But that is simply the cost of our discussions. I know many people who have changed there views on things. Those who approach these discussions with an open mind, and cognizant of their own gaps in knowledge and limitations inherent in their positions, tend to be the most valuable in contributing to these discussions and the most willing to admit fault and change. It is a very valuable resource and I count many people as friends here. I look forward to more non-ideological discussions to come.

I love the General Political Discussion Section because it gives me a place to post stories I see as every bit as worth of discussion of anything you find in Breaking News which I see as having too narrow a set of rules based on what they (who ever they are) decide is a legitimate news source.

For example MSNBC is a source for breaking news and yet in the past three years this Channel has become almost 100% propaganda filled with hate, lies, name calling, disinformation and so on.

Now I fully expect someone to attack me personally over MSNBC and do the old: "Well what about Fox News."

Well what about Fox News. Most people can't tell the difference between News programs and Talk Shows and they are very, Very different indeed.

Yes Fox has some Conservative hosts who present their views and opinions. ''Lets use all Liberals favorite whipping boy lately."

Glenn Beck is called all kinds of hateful names and is accused of all nature of vile things, ad yet all he does is present his opinion and almost always backs up what he says and a great deal of the time uses the person who is the subject's own words or deeds to prove his point.

Now lets look at Chis Matthews whom I love to make fun of because he like two of his pals really does suffer from a lack of mental acuity.

That said, Matthews comes on the air starts calling people names and making wild accusations and makes up lies to back up his points never has any proof and even sometimes show a a clip out of context and then tells people it meant or said something that wasn't there.

He will also use Lies and fabricated stories made up by Olbermann and now Schultz as sources for his lies or uses them to bolster his lies. It would be funny if the consequences were not so dangerous.

People believe the lies.

From the actual News rooms Fox is accused of bias because the tell the stories almost all others either ignore or bury as deep as they came.

To me when Obama for example is caught in a bare faced lie Fow News will report it and all the Talk show hsots will have something to say about it all day and night until frankly it gets a little old even to an old news man.

On the same day that very same story will receive not one second of coverage ever most likely.

That my friends is a lie of omission, and it's an almost daily occurrence.

If the Fox Story that was ignored makes it to any Section of the Forums who ever posts it is immediately attacked and the story labeled as lies or worse because if if didn't come from and Obama endorsed it either didn't happen or was made up and most of the time the attackers try to Obfuscate directly or otherwise dilute the facts without ever addressing them.

The ability to come to this Section and present stories accompanied by opinions or to be able to respond to someone else who posted is great and and is almost as much fun as doing the same thing on Radio or TV.

And I even learn a thing or two from time to time because I like to deal in facts and the truth before I give and opinion and that requires a bit of old fashion research.

I think this is a good thread, and think the point is very simply the free and civil exchange of ideas although the civil part gets lost when a certain group that loves to call others haters gets to name calling

Well said...

I come here to use my mind and mostly to refine what I already believe in. For many, it seems that the point of this place is to exercise their personal demons on others... these individuals are rather bizarre to me, but it is what it is.

There is no point in trying to change anyone's mind because we all come from the backgrounds that we do and some things are certainly hard wired. Even if we disagree though, I like to try and encourage people to have an exchange... but not many people think on that level because it's so easy to get sucked into ego battles.

I love the slow realization that some users experience when they are arguing with me according to the terms of their black-and-white morality, or even their grey-and-grey morality, and they start to understand that I'm blue and orange.

I love the slow realization that some users experience when they are arguing with me according to the terms of their black-and-white morality, or even their grey-and-grey morality, and they start to understand that I'm blue and orange.

Excellent post, Kori. Right on target, too.

May I suggest something I've seen on other political fora. An area that's libs only, another cons only, a third for independents only. Having a time out place to talk with those who are like-minded means you don't have to go around wearing armor every time you post.

I sometimes prefer not to come here because of people being unneccessarily nasty, seemingly out of the blue. Having a restricted area means there is one place here where that is sure not to happen.

Regards from Rosie

You're kidding, right? A restricted area? LOL
I think I'll give credit to the adults who wouldn't fit into the sheeple category.
What a dull and unstimulating forum this would be without the exchange of opposite viewpoints and ideas.

Well I too have been on fora like that. It is just a subsection for like those who are in the Democrat Party, Republican Party, Independents, etc...

This forum has definately helped alter and then sharpen my political views. I've moved from typical conservative Republican to a mostly libertarian outlook. But even as a libertarian I continue to evolve. In fact, I've been wondering if that label really still fits me. I still strongly support the general idea of small government and preserving individual liberty, but there are a number of areas where I think libertarianism taken to the extreme ends up being counter productive. I think I'm too pragmatic to swallow any idealogy wholesale.

I learned:

1. All christians are rapists and war mongers
2. GWB was the 2nd coming of Hitler
3. Islam is a peaceful religion
4. Christine O'Donnell and Sarah Palin are the most interesting and hotly discussed figures on the planet
5. Obama is trustworthy, no untrustworthy, no trustworthy
6. All Americans are fools who can't read good, or do other things good too.
7. I found out what my aptitude is good at.
8. Go away, baitin'

Last edited:
This forum has definately helped alter and then sharpen my political views. I've moved from typical conservative Republican to a mostly libertarian outlook. But even as a libertarian I continue to evolve. In fact, I've been wondering if that label really still fits me. I still strongly support the general idea of small government and preserving individual liberty, but there are a number of areas where I think libertarianism taken to the extreme ends up being counter productive. I think I'm too pragmatic to swallow any idealogy wholesale.

It's posts like this that make me wish you would post a whole lot more at DP.

I have a bad feeling about this thread. Just keep in mind that I am watching.

Yeah I know, but I'm sure we've all asked ourselves the same question. It's a question that is hard to answer, like what is this website good for no one ever changes their minds. Yet we keep coming here everyday to see what someone says, or what whacky (or not) thread gets posted. It's addictive in some respects. Being a counselor maybe you should create a forum for forum addiction. :lol:

Pragmatism is a much maligned and even more needed quality in politics.

I'd say it was a wildly over-rated and all-too-present 'quality' in modern politics. Frankly, I'd like to come across someone who wanted to reinject a little idealism into politics, y'know, someone with a bigger picture of how society might work. I'm pretty tired of the idea of managing a failed system. Hate their vision as I most certainly do, at least the Neo-Cons had an idea of the kind of society they want to create. Do the TPs? Do the Obama Dems? Do the European centre-right or centre-left? I can't see much evidence of it.

May I suggest something I've seen on other political fora. An area that's libs only, another cons only, a third for independents only. Having a time out place to talk with those who are like-minded means you don't have to go around wearing armor every time you post.

I sometimes prefer not to come here because of people being unneccessarily nasty, seemingly out of the blue. Having a restricted area means there is one place here where that is sure not to happen.

Regards from Rosie

What good does a "lovefest" do? If you are going to argue a point, isn't it logical that someone else takes the opposing point?

Personally, I have learned a great deal from this site, some of my views have been swayed one way or the other, and I have developed some ideas and concepts that apparently are fairly rare. When you get beatup by both the right and the left, you know that you must be correct.

What good does a "lovefest" do? If you are going to argue a point, isn't it logical that someone else takes the opposing point?

Do I have your permission to send that thought to MSNBC?

Back
Top Bottom