• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is the most polarized political issue in the US?[W:30]

Which issue is the most polarized?

• Gun control

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Abortion

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Gay Marriage

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Government spending/debt

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Immigration

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Healthcare

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Other

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters

molten_dragon

Anti-Hypocrite
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
It seems like politics in general in the US get more and more polarized with every year that goes by, but what issue specifically do you think is the most polarized?

It seems like politics in general in the US get more and more polarized with every year that goes by, but what issue specifically do you think is the most polarized?

Issues no longer matter; it's ideology...

Abortion. Can't think of another issue that consistently approaches that level of intensity. Same sex marriage and Immigration edge out Gun Control for the other podium spots.

Issues no longer matter; it's ideology...

Your answer is spot on.

But I am waiting for someone to say Obamacare just for the irony of it.
It was a Republican idea, embraced by the Republican party, and only used by Democrats to have something they could get through the Senate after the death of Kennedy. But now Republicans act as though it is the devil incarnate and must be stopped at all costs.
I am not so sure that Republicans really have anything they stand for anymore. I think they simply stand against Obama. I will stop here in regards to the "why."

Your answer is spot on.

It was a Republican idea, embraced by the Republican party, and only used by Democrats to have something they could get through the Senate after the death of Kennedy. But now Republicans act as though it is the devil incarnate and must be stopped at all costs.
I am not so sure that Republicans really have anything they stand for anymore. I think they simply stand against Obama. I will stop here in regards to the "why."

The law is not ready for prime time as is evidenced up to this point by the actions taken since its passage...

The law is not ready for prime time as is evidenced up to this point by the actions taken since its passage...

Good evening, AP. :2wave:

It is an ongoing puzzle to many why not. It's not like they haven't had time to work out the bugs. Add the fact that many unions disagree with it, and want to be exempted. No wonder the average person on the street doesn't understand it! :thumbdown:

Net tax payers vs Net Tax consumers. No common ground

gun control would be second for the same reason

Your answer is spot on.

So if the Republicans initiated an idea, they can never go back and say it was a dumb idea [ and Obamacare is a dumb idea ]? So, does that mean ideas initiated by Democrats, ie, Jim Crow, Black Codes, lynching laws, Plessy v Ferguson's separate but equal, we still saddle the Democrats with those? No, somehow those almost all get placed on the backs of Republicans. Magic, huh?

And what do you mean Republicans do not have anything that they stand for, the fact that we stand against everything that Obama is for... that is not directed against the man only, it is against everything he represents. Fundamentally changing [destroying] America, changing our traditional institutions, those solid bedrocks that got us to this point of being the most prosperous and powerful and good country in the history of the planet, with him and his side going more towards that leftist ideology which, across the globe in myriad of instances, have cause mainly only death, misery and destruction.... that is not standing for something?

Last edited:
Abortion.

It has no place in politics at all.

And so you agree with a Holocaust then?

The mass murder of millions of innocents is worthy of political involvement... to summarily dismiss it is to abruptly and without cause remove all the many voices of those genuinely, morally and mightily concerned about this heinous act. For you to say it isn’t up for discussion is precisely why we have a democracy and not just masters telling us what we can and cannot believe.

And so you agree with a Holocaust then?

The mass murder of millions of innocents is worthy of political involvement... to summarily dismiss it is to abruptly and without cause remove all the many voices of those genuinely, morally and mightily concerned about this heinous act. For you to say it isn’t up for discussion is precisely why we have a democracy and not just masters telling us what we can and cannot believe.

My only response to that is to advise you that you should either take a breath and calm down, or next time, pick one these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHWEZ_IjcSk (warning, strong language in link)

My only response to that is to advise you that you should either take a breath and calm down, or next time, pick one these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHWEZ_IjcSk (warning, strong language in link)

Kinda funny, but obviously not an argument.

This is debate, not insult central. Correct? In fact, this sort of treatment of issues is just another reason added to the growing heap as to why we would rather not have other folks deciding such things for the rest of us.

Kinda funny, but obviously not an argument.

This is debate, not insult central. Correct? In fact, this sort of treatment of issues is just another reason added to the growing heap as to why we would rather not have other folks deciding such things for the rest of us.

Insult central? You implied that I was in favor of genocide. Was that not intended as an insult? I didn't insult you. I pointed out the faux rage in your tone and in your chiding me for my opinion.

I thought it was debate as well. You left no room for debate, and I have tried to debate this with many that came at me the way you did. But...

There are many laws in effect that protect the unborn after they grow to the point that they can survive outside the womb. So, I don't see what the genocide insult is all about. I'm not going to get into a debate with a person that may be incapable of reasonable thought on this issue.

If you don't think abortion should be performed at any point in a pregnancy, fine. However, that is your choice and you can make sure your daughters and wife comply with that, if they'll listen to you. As for the rest of the country? That isn't your or anyone else choice to make, especially a bunch of politicians.

Hence, my original comment.

Insult central? You implied that I was in favor of genocide. Was that not intended as an insult? I didn't insult you. I pointed out the faux rage in your tone and in your chiding me for my opinion.

I thought it was debate as well. You left no room for debate, and I have tried to debate this with many that came at me the way you did. But...

There are many laws in effect that protect the unborn after they grow to the point that they can survive outside the womb. So, I don't see what the genocide insult is all about. I'm not going to get into a debate with a person that may be incapable of reasonable thought on this issue.

If you don't think abortion should be performed at any point in a pregnancy, fine. However, that is your choice and you can make sure your daughters and wife comply with that, if they'll listen to you. As for the rest of the country? That isn't your or anyone else choice to make, especially a bunch of politicians.

Hence, my original comment.

Abortion.

It has no place in politics at all.

Wait wait wait now, hold on a minute there pardner...you stated categorically, explicitly, that there was no room in politics for the Abortion debate. Did you not? Of course you did, I have it posted/quoted above. That sir, to imply you wanted to debate, is just plain disingenuous... and what is more, was/is verified.

So, hardly how it went, now was it sir? As you dismissed it, without reasons as if it were just a universal truth, I asked you if you were in agreement with a Holocaust. Now, if you feel guilty about your views, not my fault.

Are you at all familiar with the amount of abortions that have been perpetrated in just this country since Roe? The Holocaust was minor in comparison. Over 50 million. So maybe you get the analogy... now?

And again, to summarily choose what the rest of the country does for the rest of us...and its not up for debate? That is just plain silliness. If you and your wife decided to kill your 5 year old daughter, nobody in the rest of the country should be able to say anything, that is just between you and your family? NO. Not how it goes, nor how it should go. The fact that a baby in the womb has separate DNA [distinctly individual at conception], is alive and growing, certainly is human cause the baby in the womb is certainly not a squirrel… well, you may think you and your family can decide to kill another American in such a cavalier manner, many of the rest of us are going to make it as hard as we can to murder others, whether the law admits its murder or not, right at this point.

We will finally come to our senses as a country and you are just out and out WRONG. So lets see you prove yourself capable of reasoned thought on the issue...or just want to dictate to the rest of us... or send just silly insults.

Last edited:
All of the above.

With all the mindless sheep that follow the two big parties, nothing can be discussed or solved and is thus all issues are made highly partisan and polarize the two sides of sheep. And those in power love it, as it keeps anyone from paying too much attention to them and the reality that the two parties are pretty much the same big steamy pile.

wait wait wait now, hold on a minute there pardner...you stated categorically, explicitly, that there was no room in politics for the abortion debate. Did you not? Of course you did, i have it posted/quoted above. That sir, to imply you wanted to debate, is just plain disingenuous... And what is more, was/is verified.

So, hardly how it went, now was it sir? As you dismissed it, without reasons as if it were just a universal truth, i asked you if you were in agreement with a holocaust. Now, if you feel guilty about your views, not my fault.

Are you at all familiar with the amount of abortions that have been perpetrated in just this country since roe? The holocaust was minor in comparison. Over 50 million. So maybe you get the analogy... Now?

And again, to summarily choose what the rest of the country does for the rest of us...and its not up for debate? That is just plain silliness. If you and your wife decided to kill your 5 year old daughter, nobody in the rest of the country should be able to say anything, that is just between you and your family? No. Not how it goes, nor how it should go. The fact that a baby in the womb has separate dna [distinctly individual at conception], is alive and growing, certainly is human cause the baby in the womb is certainly not a squirrel… well, you may think you and your family can decide to kill another american in such a cavalier manner, many of the rest of us are going to make it as hard as we can to murder others, whether the law admits its murder or not, right at this point.

We will finally come to our senses as a country and you are just out and out wrong. So lets see you prove yourself capable of reasoned thought on the issue...or just want to dictate to the rest of us... Or send just silly insults.

...qed...

All of the above.

With all the mindless sheep that follow the two big parties, nothing can be discussed or solved and is thus all issues are made highly partisan and polarize the two sides of sheep. And those in power love it, as it keeps anyone from paying too much attention to them and the reality that the two parties are pretty much the same big steamy pile.
Isn't this a long-winded way of saying "ideology"?

I voted Healthcare, but that's wrong when I think about it.

Republicans are polarized against Obamacare as a whole, but love the vast bulk of it.

A better choice is abortion as Democrats are much more likely to support where Republicans, after purging Libertarians and moderates are against it.

I feel the rest of them aren't polarized as much as abortion is as there are plenty of gun right Democrats, several gun control Republicans, gay marriage is youth republicans and democrats against old republicans, spending everyone basically agrees on the framework, and immigration has plenty of democrats against it and several high profile republicans for it.

Back
Top Bottom