• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What is the main problem of Latin America?

C

Climpano

It seems to me as well as it may seem to every Argentinean that the main problem lies in the energy sector or to be more exact in various difficulties when implementing energy projects. There is a great number of examples of it and the energy crises of the 21st century which happened in Brazil, Chili and here in Argentina are only the results of the difficulties and problems. We catastrophically lack the experience. However in the conditions when the entire world is very much preoccupied with energy security, this factor may well hinder the development of not only Argentina but also of the whole region which is already lagging behind Europe, North America and even Asia in many areas.
So I don’t suppose we can go along without any assistance from the outside so to speak. For instance Russia possesses immense experience in that sphere. See the country has been rather efficiently supplying gas to Europe and managing its own energy consumption during the past several decades. Then why can’t we turn to her for help? I’m sure the Russians will share their experience with us and it will be much more than only timely assistance. Well this is only my opinion.
But I suggest that everyone who is interested in the development of our region should express himself on that matter.

Id say the main problem is corruption and political unrest. Investors are reluctant to engage with countries when these are the conditions there.

Id say the main problem is corruption and political unrest. Investors are reluctant to engage with countries when these are the conditions there.

Corruption is not a universal problem in Latin America but varies hugely. Looking at the corruption perception index you see a huge range of Latin American states from countries like Chile and Uruguay which are rated just below France, to Venezuela and Haiti which are some of the most corrupt countries on Earth. So while corruption is a problem in a number of Latin American countries, the region as a whole does pretty well against corruption compared to most of the developing world.

Back
Top Bottom