• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is the last 'good' thing the gop has done that benefited most americans?

bongsaway

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Please don't say tax cut. Tax cuts do nothing but take money away from other issues such as infrastructure and basically benefit those that don't need it the most.

The last thing I can think of is Nixon creating the EPA and every republican president after him trying to kill it.

Not sure how you're defining "something." As a majority caucus, I can't think of anything off hand. GHW pushed Saddam out of Kuwait and then came home. That was good. Though nothing came of the TPP, the GOP sided with Obama on trade. That's all I got. I'm sure there are a few things but can't think of any right now. Whether these benefitted most Americans is debatable.

Not sure how you're defining "something." As a majority caucus, I can't think of anything off hand. GHW pushed Saddam out of Kuwait and then came home. That was good. Though nothing came of the TPP, the GOP sided with Obama on trade. That's all I got. I'm sure there are a few things but can't think of any right now. Whether these benefitted most Americans is debatable.
Nothing came of the TPP because Trump bailed on it. Next he bailed on NAFTA, slapped tariffs on Canadian products while negotiating a new agreement, then signed the same deal Obama had in the TPP.

Nothing came of the TPP because Trump bailed on it. Next he bailed on NAFTA, slapped tariffs on Canadian products while negotiating a new agreement, then signed the same deal Obama had in the TPP.
Must be the narcissism. A narcissist can't let anyone take credit for anything.

The last thing I can think of is Nixon creating the EPA and every republican president after him trying to kill it.

Nixon doesn't really deserve credit. He did it for politics because a popular movement and Democrats demanded it. Perhaps the last good thing Republicans did for the country was Eisenhower building national highways, a project from his military background done to facilitate military movement in the US if needed.

Please don't say tax cut. Tax cuts do nothing but take money away from other issues such as infrastructure and basically benefit those that don't need it the most.

Do you have any clue how much money the government spends?

How much it has increased spending in just the last dozen or so years?

It’s incredibly mind-boggling that people in the US can imagine there’s a shortage of government spending in a world where the government spends about $10 trillion per year. Is $30,000 per capita really not enough?

The level of ignorance Americans have about the level of government spending is astonishing to me. The information is available, but there does not appear to be any uptake.

Nixon doesn't really deserve credit. He did it for politics because a popular movement and Democrats demanded it. Perhaps the last good thing Republicans did for the country was Eisenhower building national highways, a project from his military background done to facilitate military movement in the US if needed.
Whether nixon believed in what he was proposing doesn't matter, it passed.

Do you have any clue how much money the government spends?

How much it has increased spending in just the last dozen or so years?

It’s incredibly mind-boggling that people in the US can imagine there’s a shortage of government spending in a world where the government spends about $10 trillion per year. Is $30,000 per capita really not enough?

The level of ignorance Americans have about the level of government spending is astonishing to me. The information is available, but there does not appear to be any uptake.
Do you have any clue how much money the government spends on the military? Neither do I so much of it is hidden but for sure at least a trillion a year. Now let's get our shit together and go after those food stamp recipients so corporate welfare can get more.

Nothing, the GOP is not interested in "most Americans" rather only their base.

Do you have any clue how much money the government spends on the military? Neither do I so much of it is hidden but for sure at least a trillion a year. Now let's get our shit together and go after those food stamp recipients so corporate welfare can get more.
To be fair, we have a huge military. Just what we spend on salary and benefits, for active duty and veterans, would dwarf the military spending of most other countries.

Though I agree the military is bloated, it does help people, lots of people, as the OP asks.

I honestly can't think of a single thing.

To be fair, we have a huge military. Just what we spend on salary and benefits, for active duty and veterans, would dwarf the military spending of most other countries.

Though I agree the military is bloated, it does help people, lots of people, as the OP asks.
It gives lots of folks government jobs who then convince themselves they are special for serving. Keeping america safe from the parade grounds and behind desks. If you were in the military and weren't getting shot at, it was just a job and you were no hero. I'll reserve my respect for combat vets...even the ones who were captured or especially the ones who were captured.

It gives lots of folks government jobs who then convince themselves they are special for serving. Keeping america safe from the parade grounds and behind desks. If you were in the military and weren't getting shot at, it was just a job and you were no hero. I'll reserve my respect for combat vets...even the ones who were captured or especially the ones who were captured.
I agree, but all the desk jobs do support readiness and active troops on the ground. About 25% of military spending goes to people directly, which is my point.

Perhaps not the best idea for a "jobs program," though I don't see a better option. Post-service education and lifetime medical care is surely something we can celebrate.

George HW Bush:

Americans With Disabilities Act

Credit where it’s due.
That wasn't something Republicans did really, though it was bi-partisan.

I agree, but all the desk jobs do support readiness and active troops on the ground. About 25% of military spending goes to people directly, which is my point.

Perhaps not the best idea for a "jobs program," though I don't see a better option. Post-service education and lifetime medical care is surely something we can celebrate.
If you've done nothing for twenty years but mundane stuff, why should you receive special treatment? If I work at a job for twenty years and get laid off, I get no special treatment? Just because you 'served', in my eyes does not make one a hero or special.

My whole point is we could cut military spending in half and still be the most powerful nation on earth.

If you've done nothing for twenty years but mundane stuff, why should you receive special treatment? If I work at a job for twenty years and get laid off, I get no special treatment? Just because you 'served', in my eyes does not make one a hero or special.
Not sure what you're saying, bongs. Nobody is special.
My whole point is we could cut military spending in half and still be the most powerful nation on earth.
Then we'd have to cut the number of active troops in half. Not saying it wouldn't work (though I doubt it would), but how does eliminating these jobs help people?

Not sure what you're saying, bongs. Nobody is special.

Then we'd have to cut the number of active troops in half. Not saying it wouldn't work (though I doubt it would), but how does eliminating these jobs help people?
Are we are war somewhere and I do mean war, not conflicts? We have more military bases around the world than the rest of the world combined, why? What our large military is supporting in my mind more than anything is the military industrial complex, not the safety of america.

Back
Top Bottom