• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What is the Greatest Tragedy this Nation has Endured?

What is the Greatest Tragedy this Nation has had to Endure?

• Katrina

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • 9/11

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • JFK Assassination

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • RFK Assassination

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • MLK Assassination

• Pearl Harbor

• Cuban Missile Crisis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vietnam

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Great Depression

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Civil War

Votes: 37 53.6%

• Total voters

Billo_Really

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
I would like to know the hardest times Americans have had to get thru or the greatest shock its citizens had to endure. And why. I personnaly feel it was the Kennedy Assassination. It seemed as though, for one week, the entire country went numb.

No Poll? It's in the Poll Section.

Here.. I'll help you out.

of course you get one posted before I could get mine posted hahah.

If the question was "What do you think the greatest tragedy this land has had to face" I'd say that the genocide commited against the locals (Native Americans) was by far the worst.

But right now, I believe that the worst tragedy of all time would either be Columbine Shootings, or Vietnam.

The civil war ripped America apart to the core, pitted son against father and son against brother. Over 600,000 Americans died in the Civil War, Americas rivers ran red with blood and the fields were stained with it, for a little over 4 years this endured.

A Civil War is a huge part of the maturing of countries. Though how sad it is, it's essential for the foundation of a Nation. It lets the leaders lead and the followers follow.

...Well, maybe im crazy, but i have to think that the Civil War was the greatest tragedy this nation ever endured. I was never alive during the assassinations, but i dont see how it could be .... the worst tragedy. They certainly are no bueno, but life went on after JFK was killed. RFK wasnt even a president... MLK was quite the tragedy, non of this is equivelent to the Civil war. If someone was alive during one of the assassinations, and thinks that they are the worst tragedy this nation has endured, i would love to hear about it. Learning = good

Originally posted by brassmonkey621:
...Well, maybe im crazy, but i have to think that the Civil War was the greatest tragedy this nation ever endured. I was never alive during the assassinations, but i dont see how it could be .... the worst tragedy. They certainly are no bueno, but life went on after JFK was killed. RFK wasnt even a president... MLK was quite the tragedy, non of this is equivelent to the Civil war. If someone was alive during one of the assassinations, and thinks that they are the worst tragedy this nation has endured, i would love to hear about it. Learning = good
Everyone (1st grade and older) around at that time, remembers where they were, the moment they heard the news. Its a little hard to explain, unless you were there.

I have to go w/ the Civil War as well just based on the sheer impact to every single aspect of American life from the incredible loss of life and limb, the loss of vital infrastructure and the "psychological scars" it put on our culture.

Re:

What is the Greatest Tragedy this Nation has Endured?

I will have to go with this epidemic known as Liberalism.

:lol: :rofl

superskippy said:
The civil war ripped America apart to the core, pitted son against father and son against brother. Over 600,000 Americans died in the Civil War, Americas rivers ran red with blood and the fields were stained with it, for a little over 4 years this endured.

But it did eradicate legal slavery in the US... now just have to eradicate illegal slavery...it still exists in almost every country(except maybe Vatican City).

not on the border states but it did help to raise the tide, however, your corporate slavery b.s. gets no play in my book, I mean seriously if you don't trust the gov't why would you want the gov't to control the means of production?

Last edited:
From the halls of higher education,

Top Ten greatest tragedies of this nation.

10."The Great Monkey Fiasco". Initiated by 26x world champs. Exposed by teacher.
9.The site of Billo's face on his avatars forehead.
8.Me getting hold of a keyboard.
7.cnredds posting of his picture.
6.The future cloning of 26x world champs.
5.Something to do with galenrox and my mother. Don't ask.
4.The day the music died.
3.OJ or Jackson verdict. You choose.
2.The hideous misrepresentation of monkeys as evil in the Wizard of Oz.

and the number one tragedy of this nation,

1.Lost or broken Pez dispensers. (Even worse if containing Pez).

Billo_Really said:
Everyone (1st grade and older) around at that time, remembers where they were, the moment they heard the news. Its a little hard to explain, unless you were there.
t's true! I was in 2nd grade and I clearly remember walking down a staircase at my school. We were sent home soon afterwards.

I also remember that every TV station had 24/7 coverage, unprecedented at that time and also in Black & White, not color. This is way, way before cable TV. It was broadcast networks and local channels only.

Originally posted by teacher:
From the halls of higher education,

Top Ten greatest tragedies of this nation.

10."The Great Monkey Fiasco". Initiated by 26x world champs. Exposed by teacher.
9.The site of Billo's face on his avatars forehead.
8.Me getting hold of a keyboard.
7.cnredds posting of his picture.
6.The future cloning of 26x world champs.
5.Something to do with galenrox and my mother. Don't ask.
4.The day the music died.
3.OJ or Jackson verdict. You choose.
2.The hideous misrepresentation of monkeys as evil in the Wizard of Oz.

and the number one tragedy of this nation,

1.Lost or broken Pez dispensers. (Even worse if containing Pez).
Greatest tragedy the nation has endured: teachers abscence from debate politics.

Where the hell have you been. I thought you died.

Billo_Really said:
Greatest tragedy the nation has endured: teachers abscence from debate politics.

Where the hell have you been. I thought you died.

Remember when I said I had my French ancestry surgically removed? Filled it in with something monkey. Got banana?

Remember when I said I had my French ancestry surgically removed? Filled it in with something monkey. Got banana?

I love this guy already:2wave:

Comrade Brian said:
But it did eradicate legal slavery in the US... now just have to eradicate illegal slavery...it still exists in almost every country(except maybe Vatican City).

Eradicating slavery world wide would be impossible...

Eradicating slavery world wide would be impossible...

Ah ah ah not impossible. However, its improbable. The problem is the liberals in the world that want to keep slavery and genocide in the world.

I am sure somone will disagree but I hope they have facts for this argument. Liberals beleive we cannot use violence becasue it begets violence. Well news flash people, you cannot free people by asking them nicely. Why do you think we had the revolutionary war? We tried that tactic already and it didnt work very well.

I agree with your 2nd part skilmatic, but i do not agree that eradicating world wide slavery is possible. The US would have to conquer the world to do such a thing....

but i do not agree that eradicating world wide slavery is possible. The US would have to conquer the world to do such a thing....

And I agree with you in the fact that we would prolly have to take over the world but its not impossible. Becasue there are allies that would help us in that effort. We control the world too much financially for our allies to turn their backs toward us. They would help even though they dont want too.

I think its possible with the right people in this world under the right control but as of now your right I think it would be impossible to do such a great and honorable deed.

Re:

I will have to go with this epidemic known as Liberalism.

hahahahahah i love it. i voted for the civil war because it was one American killing another and so many people died. but the liberals, ACLU, and national black caucus, Peta and other liberal tree hugging hippie groups like this are tearing are country apart from the inside, and trying to change the way people thank. so I'm with skil.

Yeah Ska! Party on! Let's rank a point of view above that of death and destruction! Because you know, just because someone thinks differently then ourselves, they deserve to be hated /End Sarcasm

Honestly dude, listen to yourself. You're pretty much saying "People who think differently than I are all classified in one group and that one group should be hated".

Not much better then Adolf Hitler?

Not much better then Adolf Hitler?

I think we didnt kill 6million jews. Well at least last time I checked. But if you think becasue we disagree with idiotness if that makes us the same as hitler then I would have to say you must think hitler was a genious, :lol: .

SADAAM KILLED OVER 1.2MILLION OF HIS OWN PEOPLE(WHICH IS GENOCIDE)

However, let me ask you this.

Despite all your rhetoric crap about wmd's and other reasons why we went into iraq. And despite the seldom occasions of very few civilian deaths that occured compared to that of sadaams killings. Do you think it was a honorable and just thing that the US invaded Iraq to liberate them?

Originally posted by teacher:
Does this mean we will see you swinging from vines on the Survivor next to that naked guy soon? Don't answer that. The visual is too much to bear.

I hope the forecast is a good one. Vauge probably still hates you.

Back
Top Bottom