• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is the GOP's problem with the NLRB? Do they not want workers to have any rights?

James D Hill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Conservatives seem to hate anything that gives workers power to hold employers accountable for bad behavior. They have always hated labor unions and over the last 25 years wadged a war against labor unions and for the most part they have won that war. Thay have accused unions of driving up wages and the cost of living. Some of that I agree with. Greed has corrupted labot as much as business. I say you need collective bargening when wages are going down just as much as when they are going up and someone has to stand up for workers.

Now the GOP is going after the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB). They have filibustered every nomination both conservative and liberal to fill the leadership post in the NLRB. This is cowarldy because they know they would lose the debate to shut the NLRB down so they use the cowardly act of abusing the filibuster to get their unpopular way. What a bunch of right wing hacks.

So what is it the right wing really wants? For workers to have no rights at all other than to quit your job? Thats what it looks like to me. They seem to want to go back to the days when the robber barons could do anything they wanted to their workers. We all know the GOP has been lap dogs for big business since the industrial revolution started but this new breed of conservatives seems to want to return this country to the bad old days of no anti trust laws and workers being basically slaves. Am I wrong?

Re: What is the GOP's problem with the NLRB? Do they not want workers to have any rig

Conservatives seem to hate anything that gives workers power to hold employers accountable for bad behavior. They have always hated labor unions and over the last 25 years wadged a war against labor unions and for the most part they have won that war. Thay have accused unions of driving up wages and the cost of living. Some of that I agree with. Greed has corrupted labot as much as business. I say you need collective bargening when wages are going down just as much as when they are going up and someone has to stand up for workers.

Now the GOP is going after the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB). They have filibustered every nomination both conservative and liberal to fill the leadership post in the NLRB. This is cowarldy because they know they would lose the debate to shut the NLRB down so they use the cowardly act of abusing the filibuster to get their unpopular way. What a bunch of right wing hacks.

So what is it the right wing really wants? For workers to have no rights at all other than to quit your job? Thats what it looks like to me. They seem to want to go back to the days when the robber barons could do anything they wanted to their workers. We all know the GOP has been lap dogs for big business since the industrial revolution started but this new breed of conservatives seems to want to return this country to the bad old days of no anti trust laws and workers being basically slaves. Am I wrong?

What is wanted, as with all judicial appointments, is folks that will simply uphold the law as written; people that have no known agenda or have not shown bias in the past. The NRLB is essentially a court to help settle labor disputes between unions and certain employers using union labor. A two term president can replace the entire 5 member board, as each member serves a 5-year term, with one member's term expiring every year and the General Council which serves a 4-year term.

Re: What is the GOP's problem with the NLRB? Do they not want workers to have any rig

What is wanted, as with all judicial appointments, is folks that will simply uphold the law as written; people that have no known agenda or have not shown bias in the past. The NRLB is essentially a court to help settle labor disputes between unions and certain employers using union labor. A two term president can replace the entire 5 member board, as each member serves a 5-year term, with one member's term expiring every year and the General Council which serves a 4-year term.

You did not answer my queston my friend. Why is the GOP filibustering everyone the president appionts to the leadership of the NLRB? Is it because they hate the NLRB? You do not have to be a union member to have the NLRB look at your case. In fact the NLRB is to help those who do not have union representation. I guess the GOP thinks the boss should have all the power right or wrong.

You did not answer my queston my friend. Why is the GOP filibustering everyone the president appionts to the leadership of the NLRB? Is it because they hate the NLRB? You do not have to be a union member to have the NLRB look at your case. In fact the NLRB is to help those who do not have union representation. I guess the GOP thinks the boss should have all the power right or wrong.

Probably because 0bama has a track record of appointees who are crooks, cheats, retards, scandalous, or useless.

Probably because 0bama has a track record of appointees who are crooks, cheats, retards, scandalous, or useless.

That is a lie my friend and you know it. Obama has nominated conservatives as well as liberals and none have been proven to be crooks. What in the hell are you talking about? After what is going on in Virginia I don't think the right should be telling us what is moral or not my friend.

Did the GOP do that when they where in power? No.

That is a lie my friend and you know it.
Van Jones...self-proclaimed communist.
Tim Geitner...tax cheat
Valerie Jarrett...communist
Susan Rice...Obama flunkie who helped hide Benghazi.
Tom Daschle...tax cheat
Nancy Killefer...tax cheat
Jide Zeitlin...ID fraud
Craig Becker...union shill
Bill Richardson...racketeering

Did the GOP do that when they where in power? No.

Which GOP NLRB appointees do you assert were partisan/biased appointments? Crickets...

Tim Geitner...tax cheat
Tom Daschle...tax cheat
Jide Zeitlin...ID fraud

BS my friend. What about the Govenor of Virginia? Is he a honest conservative?

Tim Geitner...tax cheat
Tom Daschle...tax cheat
Jide Zeitlin...ID fraud

Oh by the way Bengahzi was a nothing and you know it. Stop acting stupid.

Tim Geitner...tax cheat
Tom Daschle...tax cheat
Jide Zeitlin...ID fraud

Oh by the way What is wrong with being a union shrill. If it was not for unions you would not have a 40 hour work week,sick leave,vacation or any other work place right you have. Pull your head.

Conservatives want money. Big business pays for their election campaigns, and in return, conservatives push a "pro-business" agenda. Propaganda is used to convince the conservative base that this is the right thing to do. Consumer rights and employee rights have gone out the window, and are continuing to do so as the Republican party overwhelms the judicial and legislative system with shills that will do their bidding. The big question is why so many people would fall for this game. The Republican base needs to take a look at who and what they're really supporting. By getting rid of oversight and regulations, they're selling us all to corporations.

Conservatives want money. Big business pays for their election campaigns, and in return, conservatives push a "pro-business" agenda. Propaganda is used to convince the conservative base that this is the right thing to do. Consumer rights and employee rights have gone out the window, and are continuing to do so as the Republican party overwhelms the judicial and legislative system with shills that will do their bidding. The big question is why so many people would fall for this game. The Republican base needs to take a look at who and what they're really supporting. By getting rid of oversight and regulations, they're selling us all to corporations.

Great point my friend. I knew that but wanted someone else to say it. That money train is the most important thing of all for the GOP. They will even throw the religious right under the bus if favor of big businesss.

BS my friend. What about the Govenor of Virginia? Is he a honest conservative?
I never said there were no crooked Republicans. I meant that, for your God-President, "crooked" seems to be a requirement on the job resume.

Oh by the way Bengahzi was a nothing and you know it. Stop acting stupid.
So it was perfectly acceptable for those Americans to die? Oh wait....of course it was...it was on the God-President's watch.

Oh by the way What is wrong with being a union shrill. If it was not for unions you would not have a 40 hour work week,sick leave,vacation or any other work place right you have. Pull your head.
Unions had their place at one point in history. Right now they're nothing more than a hive of ignorance, run by crooked bosses. They're NO WORSE than the corporations they "work" for (if you want to call it that, because they seem to only "work" as little as possible).

P.S. I'm not your friend. My friends have intelligence.

To the contrary, we want individual workers to have rights and not be forced to conform to union leadership.

To the contrary, we want individual workers to have rights and not be forced to conform to union leadership.

But without unions or the NLRB the boss man has all the power. Who is going to stand up for the average worker when you have a bad boss?

I never said there were no crooked Republicans. I meant that, for your God-President, "crooked" seems to be a requirement on the job resume.

So it was perfectly acceptable for those Americans to die? Oh wait....of course it was...it was on the God-President's watch.

Unions had their place at one point in history. Right now they're nothing more than a hive of ignorance, run by crooked bosses. They're NO WORSE than the corporations they "work" for (if you want to call it that, because they seem to only "work" as little as possible).

P.S. I'm not your friend. My friends have intelligence.

I agree unions have been corupted by greed just like business has. It was stupid for unions to ask for pensions that are more that the wadges the worker made. Hey we agree with something. It is a miricle. The NLRB was designed to fill that gap left by shrinking unions and the conservatives have turned on them also. I guess they want the boss to have all the power.

I agree unions have been corupted by greed just like business has. It was stupid for unions to ask for pensions that are more that the wadges the worker made.
And remember...1) Those pensions are for the life of the worker, and 2) the unions don't care whether or not companies/cities can afford them. It's gimme gimme gimme.

The NLRB was designed to fill that gap left by shrinking unions and the conservatives have turned on them also. I guess they want the boss to have all the power.
Unions are nothing but oligarchies in of themselves. The union bosses use the workers as pawns to push their agendas. The workers are just simple sheep who are brainwashed by those union bosses, into just playing along with whatever is told to them. Jump off a bridge? Yessir.

You did not answer my queston my friend. Why is the GOP filibustering everyone
the president appionts to the leadership of the NLRB? Is it because they hate the NLRB? You do not have to be a union member to have the NLRB look at your case. In fact the NLRB is to help those who do not have union representation. I guess the GOP thinks the boss should have all the power right or wrong.

No it specifically has to do with the person he's chosen.

He keeps making horrible choices, choqing leftist hacks with a destructive agenda. Of-course the GOP is going to oppose them.

Haven't the Unions done enough damage ?

No it specifically has to do with the person he's chosen.

He keeps making horrible choices, choqing leftist hacks with a destructive agenda. Of-course the GOP is going to oppose them.

Haven't the Unions done enough damage ?

Has big business done enought damage by sending millions of jobs overseas,laying off Americans while making record profits while creating hostile workplaces? Someone has to stand up for the worker my friend. The bossman is not always in the right. Yes greed has ruined the union cause but the same is true for the fat cats who screwed us over too.

And remember...1) Those pensions are for the life of the worker, and 2) the unions don't care whether or not companies/cities can afford them. It's gimme gimme gimme.

Unions are nothing but oligarchies in of themselves. The union bosses use the workers as pawns to push their agendas. The workers are just simple sheep who are brainwashed by those union bosses, into just playing along with whatever is told to them. Jump off a bridge? Yessir.

I agree but conservatives seem to want the bossman to be able to abuse their employee's without anybody to hold them accountable. It goes both ways my friend. I want to call a truce with you. I know we disagree but we have also been nasty to each other. I am sorry for my part. I don't mind you blasting me but we have both been nasty. lets stop.

Back
Top Bottom