• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is the fascination with homosexuality?

And where the hell are all of these gay pride parades? I never get to go to any of them...

You have to sign up for the emails. I think you are required to pick a gender though. :2razz:

And where the hell are all of these gay pride parades? I never get to go to any of them...

if you're going to san francisco, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.

They don't know to ask you to the gay pride parade or the Lesbian power march:mrgreen::mrgreen:

I would just like to know. The gay threads just seem to overflow everywhere. The sexuality forum might as well be the gay forum. Is it morbid curiosity? Are people that worried about being gay? What is it?

I have to admit... the irony of someone as conservative as you asking why the topic of homosexuality is such an issue has not failed to dawn on me. But you pose a valid question nonetheless.

I notice two kinds of people who generally make threads about gays. One kind is the ignorant and they just want to know more. The other are people pretending they want to know more or that they have some special information, when really it is agenda-based. To me, being gay is a non-issue, but like the guy said, things usually have to be an issue before they're a non-issue. (Actually I think it was a feminist who originally said that.)

There are way bigger fish to fry in politics these days... I wish America would get past the gay issue already and move on. It's not that important.

It's pretty obvious why homosexual threads are created more often than other sexuality related topics. When a group of people are fighting for what amounts to civil rights, it gets a lot of attention from multiple people with differing opinions. Add to that, the fact that it pits liberals versus conservatives, it makes for a whole plethora of different opinions on the subject. Anything that makes someone's blood boil a bit because of a dissenting opinion will get more play in any political forum.

Gosh is it that important to you?

@ American
Let’s look at this from a different view.
Now, replace homosexual with black and see if you can see differently now.

From my point of view, the term 'fascination' is correct, only it applies to people who are against homosexual marriage, repeal of DADT, and constantly proselytize about homosexuality being wrong, unnatural, a 'sin', or some other such nonsense. I think we are all exposed to homosexuality at one point or another; a co-worker who happens to be gay, or maybe the bartender at your favorite restaurant, or even the lesbian couple living down the street. There are homosexual people everywhere, and just like any heterosexual, they want to be recognized as equal citizens. They want to join the military, get married to the partner they love, maybe raise a few kids, and have cookouts with the neighbors on the weekends. You'd think that this would be a pretty simple thing to accomplish - I mean, who cares if someone happens to be homosexual or heterosexual, right? Well, apparently that's wrong. A number of people do care, and those people will go to great lengths to separate and belittle homosexuals simply because of their sexual orientation.

It doesn't have to be overt, either. Many times it can be subtle. I'll give you an example. Last year I took some friends out to dinner at a pretty nice place in Raleigh. All of us were there with our significant others, including my friends Martha and her partner Ruth. As we were enjoying our appetizers and some glasses of wine, I specifically mentioned to the waiter that we were toasting Martha and Ruth celebrating seven years as a couple. Everything was wonderful at first - the dinner was great, service was spot-on, and there were no complaints. It wasn't until I got the bill that I noticed the couple's discount had not been applied to Martha and Ruth like the rest of us. Figuring that there was some mistake, I excused myself and found the waiter, mentioning that we were celebrating my friends' anniversary and they didn't get the discount. I expected him to simply acknowledge the mistake and apply it. Instead, he told me to wait while he got the manager. No big deal. I figured he'd probably have to redo the check is all, so I waited. A few minutes later, the guy came back over with his manager, who explained that the discount only applied to couples. After explaining that Martha and Ruth were very much coupled up - it was their anniversary we were celebrating - he simply apologized and said he could not change the bill because again, the discount only applied to couples. What he obviously meant was 'heterosexual couples' like the rest of us at the table, not Martha and Ruth.

I was FURIOUS! However, I was determined not to ruin Martha and Ruth's evening by telling them about this incident. So I left the guy $1 on an $800-plus dinner tab with the note "You and your manager should invest in some sensitivity training. Dinner was wonderful!", and i've never been back.

It sucks that such prejudice exists, which is why I participate in those type of threads more than any other. I guess if you witness this kind of activity long enough, at some point you take a stand against it.

Most of the threads are started by people who are all for gay marriage, etc., and not people who think homosexuality is a sin, etc. They want to point out every incidence of what they think is unfairness and make the problems see way more prevalent than they are to effect either public perception or to demonstrate how liberal or enlightened are their views. How a person has sex should be much more private and much less relevant to how we prescribe rights. In a way don't ask don't tell should be the general rule. Keep most of your sexual stuff to yourself. And I am talking about everyone, heterosexuals too. I think if we were more respectful and private about sexuality most people would have gotten past this issue. But we set up these battle lines and get in each others faces and wonder why reactions evoke equal and opposite reactions. It's all really too much.

Most of the threads are started by people who are all for gay marriage, etc., and not people who think homosexuality is a sin, etc. They want to point out every incidence of what they think is unfairness and make the problems see way more prevalent than they are to effect either public perception or to demonstrate how liberal or enlightened are their views. How a person has sex should be much more private and much less relevant to how we prescribe rights. In a way don't ask don't tell should be the general rule. Keep most of your sexual stuff to yourself. And I am talking about everyone, heterosexuals too. I think if we were more respectful and private about sexuality most people would have gotten past this issue. But we set up these battle lines and get in each others faces and wonder why reactions evoke equal and opposite reactions. It's all really too much.

All people are fairly private about their sex life. It is their marriages and courtships that they discuss more publicly. Every time I see a post like yours, I know that what you are really saying is that straight people can go on talking about their husbands, wives and families, but gays shouldn't be talking about theirs and should remain in or go back to the shadows.

Well, when straight people lead the way into the shadows, gays can follow, I guess.

I have to admit... the irony of someone as conservative as you asking why the topic of homosexuality is such an issue has not failed to dawn on me. But you pose a valid question nonetheless.

I notice two kinds of people who generally make threads about gays. One kind is the ignorant and they just want to know more. The other are people pretending they want to know more or that they have some special information, when really it is agenda-based. To me, being gay is a non-issue, but like the guy said, things usually have to be an issue before they're a non-issue. (Actually I think it was a feminist who originally said that.)

There are way bigger fish to fry in politics these days... I wish America would get past the gay issue already and move on. It's not that important.

Technically , You are correct - however to sOME it is Ultra important and they are quite willing to see a rather depleted US mIlitary further hampered or even debilitated to acheive some dubious result that will probably affect only a very few in a positive just way.

If we were speaking of Private Business or even Public policy in regards to Benefits etc then all this is understandable - but the Military possibly should not be toyed with.

I don't think its a concern with homosexuality as much as its a concern with sexuality in general. People are pansies, they go for the easy target.

Ok, that said, let me ask you this: is there ever a situation where sexuality (rampant or non-existent) in a society becomes detrimental to that society?

In other words, can sex cause problems for a society?

If you say "no", this debate is over. Otherwise a discussion about what is healthy needs to take place, hence the "homosexuality" debate and discussion.

Same with drugs, as much as I want pot legalized I have to ask myself "what will be the outcome of that"... and I don't know the answer; but you certainly don't go and just change the law without considering it.

Last edited:
Ok, that said, let me ask you this: is there ever a situation where sexuality (rampant or non-existent) in a society becomes detrimental to that society?

In other words, can sex cause problems for a society?

It could be argued that an increase in sexual depravity helped lead to the fall of the Roman Empire. But I really don't have the time nor the inclination to do the research to defend that arguement at lunchtime on a Friday afternoon. maybe one day early in the week I'll be more inclined.

It could be argued that an increase in sexual depravity helped lead to the fall of the Roman Empire. But I really don't have the time nor the inclination to do the research to defend that arguement at lunchtime on a Friday afternoon. maybe one day early in the week I'll be more inclined.

Research not required, brain and logic are the only requirements.

Answer: yes, sexuality depravity (and abstinance) both have negative effects on a society.

Where is the balance? I don't know.

Is homosexuality sexual depravity? I don't know, though tbh I would side with "yes", but that is only from witnessing what happens in a gay bar "mens" room

Research not required, brain and logic are the only requirements.

Answer: yes, sexuality depravity (and abstinance) both have negative effects on a society.

Where is the balance? I don't know.

Is homosexuality sexual depravity? I don't know, though tbh I would side with "yes", but that is only from witnessing what happens in a gay bar "mens" room

Promiscuity and unsafe sex are poor sexual practices no matter what sexuality a person is. Being homosexual, in and of itself, is not sexual depravity. Being homosexual, and even acting on those inclinations in many of the same ways that many heterosexuals do, is not dangerous. More education on safer sex practices and a greater acceptance by society, as a whole, would be the best ways to reduce those unsafe sexual practices that some homosexuals engage in.

Homosexual acts are [for the most part] considered a perversion to the majority of americans. This is mostly because it's included with religious/cultural conditioning. I don't think thats necessarily right or wrong?? Most heterosexual parents [guess 99%+] prefer their children are traditionally married and enjoy all the benefits and stability of this proven lifestyle. Yea I know all about divorce rates, abuse... etc, yet we all still seek to live happily ever after.

Atempting to understand something that is considered or viewed as not only wrong, but also abhorrent and disgusting... is also a factor. I personally can't understand how a man can get pleasure from having another man's penis in his mouth/anus and then allowing the excretion of semen. But then I can't imagine why a woman would like or do it either.

There must be some kind of component of pleasing another person involved? Anyway "out of the norm" heterosexual activity like sadism, masochism, pedophilia, and voyeurism is also interesting to those who don't participate.

I think it's because it is a very controversial issue and has a mix of morality, science, religion, and politics in it. Nearly everyone can relate on some level.

Pseudo intellectual Hog Wash. It's about curiosity and a deep desire to try the unthinkable.

According to Freud, "latent" or "unconscious" homosexuality which derived from failure of the defense of repression and and sublimation permit or threaten emergence into consciousness of homosexual impulses, which give rise to conflict manifested in the appearance of symptoms. These symptoms include fear of being homosexual, dreams with manifest and "latent" homosexual content, conscious homosexual fantasies and impulses, homosexual panic, disturbance in heterosexual functioning, and passive-submissive responses to other males.

A quotation by Karl Abraham: "In normal individuals the homosexual component of the sexual instinct undergoes sublimation. Between men, feelings of unity and friendship become divested of all sexuality. The man of normal feeling is repelled by any physical contact implying tenderness with another of his own sex. ...Alcohol suspends these feelings. When they are drinking, men will fall upon one another's necks and kiss each other ... when sober, the same men will term such conduct effeminate. ... The homosexual components which have been repressed and sublimated by the influences of education become unmistakably evident under the influence of alcohol."

So let's drink up, A boys. I'm just glad I don't drink. :rofl :2rofll:

Last edited:
Pseudo intellectual Hog Wash. It's about curiosity and a deep desire to try the unthinkable.

According to Freud, "latent" or "unconscious" homosexuality which derived from failure of the defense of repression and and sublimation permit or threaten emergence into consciousness of homosexual impulses, which give rise to conflict manifested in the appearance of symptoms. These symptoms include fear of being homosexual, dreams with manifest and "latent" homosexual content, conscious homosexual fantasies and impulses, homosexual panic, disturbance in heterosexual functioning, and passive-submissive responses to other males.

A quotation by Karl Abraham: "In normal individuals the homosexual component of the sexual instinct undergoes sublimation. Between men, feelings of unity and friendship become divested of all sexuality. The man of normal feeling is repelled by any physical contact implying tenderness with another of his own sex. ...Alcohol suspends these feelings. When they are drinking, men will fall upon one another's necks and kiss each other ... when sober, the same men will term such conduct effeminate. ... The homosexual components which have been repressed and sublimated by the influences of education become unmistakably evident under the influence of alcohol."

How is this in any way a response to the post you quoted? :confused:

@ American
Let’s look at this from a different view.
Now, replace homosexual with black and see if you can see differently now.

Let's not try to derail the thread, okay?

All people are fairly private about their sex life. It is their marriages and courtships that they discuss more publicly. Every time I see a post like yours, I know that what you are really saying is that straight people can go on talking about their husbands, wives and families, but gays shouldn't be talking about theirs and should remain in or go back to the shadows.

Well, when straight people lead the way into the shadows, gays can follow, I guess.

Then you would be wrong. Let the straight people lead the way. I am all for it.

Being gay is not unthinkable. Murdering a baby is unthinkable. People have had gay thoughts since people were around.

And this is the kind of crap that lead to the downfall of psychodynamic theory.

On the topic of Freud and homosexulaity.

Freud on homosexuality: Letter to a mother — Warren Throckmorton

Homosexuality is assuredly no advantage, but it is nothing to be ashamed of, no vice, no degradation, it cannot be classified as an illness; we consider it to be a variation of the sexual function produced by certain arrest of sexual development. Many highly respectable individuals of ancient and modern times have been homosexuals, several of the greatest among them (Plato, Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, etc.). It is a great injustice to persecute homosexuality as a crime, and cruelty too. If you do not believe me, read the books of Havelock Ellis.

Oh so we're once again back to Freud and our mothers leading us to sanity on this issue??? Lets all remove our mouths from moms tit and break out the cocaine... so we can do a long line and reach the same conclusions.

I thought he injected it? And its more a matter of his worldview and view of the mind than cocaine being a negative on the mind. It is a psychostimulant isnt it? Those are good for you.

Back
Top Bottom