• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What is the difference between wahabism and salafism

Masterhawk

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
They're both extreme forms of Islam but I was just curious what the difference was.

They're both extreme forms of Islam but I was just curious what the difference was.

Not sure. I've only heard of Wahabi and that it's a form of extreme Islam.

One beheads gay people and the other throws gay people off of ten story buildings...

Not sure. I've only heard of Wahabi and that it's a form of extreme Islam.
Since Islam is the Religion of Peace Wahabism must be Extreme Peace... so when they stone to death a woman accused of cheating it is done in the most Peaceful manner imaginable.

Since Islam is the Religion of Peace Wahabism must be Extreme Peace... so when they stone to death a woman accused of cheating it is done in the most Peaceful manner imaginable.

The eye through which you see God is the same eye through which He sees you.
-Jalal al-din Rumi-

The eye through which you see God is the same eye through which He sees you.
-Jalal al-din Rumi-

So He doesn't exist... cool.

Doesnt say much about a "God".

What's this, a 'you first' scenario? You won't believe in God unless God believes in you?
I mean, hell, if you can't believe in God because God doesn't exist in your reality, well, you know...

All Wahhabists are Salafists, but not all Salafists are Wahhabists. 'Wahabbism' (a term most Muslims and Saudis would find derogatory in the same way Lutheranism was supposed to be derogatory) refers to those who adhere to the outlook of Shaykh Muhammad ibn 'Abd al-Wahhab and the specific Saudi brand of Salafism which has a heavy emphasis of revivalism and the unity between the state and the clerical establishment. Salafism ('the ancients') refers to an effort to hearken back to early Islamic practice and is the label for ultra-conservatives across the Islamic spectrum including political quietists, jihadists, activists, Islamic democrats, etc.

All Wahhabists are Salafists, but not all Salafists are Wahhabists. 'Wahabbism' (a term most Muslims and Saudis would find derogatory in the same way Lutheranism was supposed to be derogatory) refers to those who adhere to the outlook of Shaykh Muhammad ibn 'Abd al-Wahhab and the specific Saudi brand of Salafism which has a heavy emphasis of revivalism and the unity between the state and the clerical establishment. Salafism ('the ancients') refers to an effort to hearken back to early Islamic practice and is the label for ultra-conservatives across the Islamic spectrum including political quietists, jihadists, activists, Islamic democrats, etc.
Took 12 posts to actually offer an explanation deserving of the name.

:thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom