• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is the current status of Merrick Garland's nomination?

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
What is the current status of Merrick Garland's nomination?

As of today, 28 June 2016, is he still officially nominated with the Senate Judiciary Committee refusing to hold hearings?

Advice and consent not given.

Advice and consent not given.

Obama and his cronies are on record as claiming that if Hillary wins the election they will still go with Garland. It will be interesting to see if they try and squirrel out of that.

Obama and his cronies are on record as claiming that if Hillary wins the election they will still go with Garland. It will be interesting to see if they try and squirrel out of that.

I see plenty of squirrels. None of which are Obama and his cronies.

I hope the Dems pull the nomination, nominate a far lefty with a Dem congress and stick it to the Republicans who thought they could get away with not giving an up or down vote for 8 months after nomination. Teach those obstructionists a lesson.

I hope the Dems pull the nomination, nominate a far lefty with a Dem congress and stick it to the Republicans who thought they could get away with not giving an up or down vote for 8 months after nomination. Teach those obstructionists a lesson.

Interesting that you should bring that up because in the last presidential debate (#2) Hillary was chastising Trump and the Republicans for not confirming Garland, praising his great credentials. I yelled at Trump and the debate moderators through the television to pin her down as saying that if she were elected president would she re-nominate Garland because of all those great credentials she was bringing up but neither Trump nor the moderators heard me. If she nominates someone else it will just go down as another "lie" from Hillary that she had this person she said had such great credentials and then she turns around and nominates someone else.

From the Republican standpoint though, I think they have done a good thing (for their side) because if Garland had been confirmed he would have made the court 5-4 left and with that seat empty the Republicans have "won" a few cases at 4-4 that they would have lost if Garland had been in there. If a miracle happens and Trump wins the court will be back to 5-4 conservative but if Trump loses the election Hillary might of course appoint an even more liberal judge than Garland but would that really make much difference overall? I mean, what difference does it make if the court is 5-4 left with a moderate liberal judge or if the court is 5-4 with a more liberal judge? Their decision was actually wise if you look at it from their perspective.

Back
Top Bottom