• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is the best musical of all time?

What is the best musical of all time?

• CATS

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Rent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Les Miserables

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Phantom of the Opera

• Wicked

• Fiddler on the Roof

• Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chicago

• Cabaret

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I tried to put as many of the "big" musicals in that I could. I'm sorry if I missed yours!

A Chorus Line! And Grease!

Last edited:
A Chorus Line!

Ahhhh...I was never really into that one.

My top favorite are....

1. Les Miserables
2. Phantom of the Opera
3. Wicked

I HATED Cats. Really, really hated it.

Last edited:
you missed out on the best one of all time, where's The Rocky Horror Show???????????????????

Sorry, spud. That one didn't even cross my mind.

Never been one for Musicals. However Grease was the first one I saw when I was a kid, and I absolutely loved it! So much that me and my friends pretended to be the T-Birds at lunch hour at school when we were really young lol.

Uhm......................The Music Man. Hello McFly? I mean, Wicked? Why not throw in Cats?;) Wicked gets a mention but Meredith Wilson's The Music Man is not even in the running? Folks, we've got trouble..................

Never been one for Musicals. However Grease was the first one I saw when I was a kid, and I absolutely loved it! So much that me and my friends pretended to be the T-Birds at lunch hour at school when we were really young lol.

I saw Grease as a preteen so it wasn't until years later when I watched it again that I notice its more 'adult' content.
Heres the original lyrics to "Greased Lightning"..

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

We'll get some overhead lifters and some four barrel quads
oh yeah (Keep talking whoa keep talking)
A fuel injection cutoff and chrome plated rods
oh yeah (I'll get the money I'll **** to get the money)
With a four speed on the floor they'll be waiting at the door

You know that ain't no **** we'll be getting lots of tit
In Grease Lightning Go, go, go, go, go, go, go, go, go, go
Go grease lightning you're burning up the quarter mile
(Grease lightning go grease lightning)

Go grease lightning you're coasting through the heat lap trial
You are supreme
the chicks'll cream
for grease lightning Go, go, go, go, go, go, go, go, go, go

Purple french tail lights and thirty inch fins oh yeah
A Palomino dashboard and duel muffler twins oh yeah
With new pistons, plugs, and shocks I can get off my rocks
You know that I ain't bragging she's a real ***** wagon

GREASE - GREASED LIGHTNING LYRICS

Last edited:
It occurs to me at this late point in the evening that my idea of what constitutes a true "musical" likely differs from most folks. Because Grease was great and I loved it, but BEST? Well if you ignore the history of all that came before and paved the road Grease trod.

To wit..................

Oy veh! I'm cutting myself off at this point, because I could just keep linking vids! I've no idea which is the best musical ever, but I am DEAD certain it aint frakin Wicked, Mellie!

I voted Chicago. It IS the cleverest, most subversive and amazing musical ever. The list was seriously lacking, however, as other posters have pointed out. Wicked? I've never even heard of it. Here are 5 more that should have appeared and would all have a reasonable claim to greatestness....
  1. Sweeney Todd - Sondheim is a GOD!
  2. Follies - ditto
  3. Oliver - perfect schmaltz but superb tunes
  4. Evita - the only really good musical ALW ever penned
  5. West Side Story - hello! How did that slip your mind?

My favorite musicals are Chicago and West Side Story.

Soundtrack - Streets of Fire (1984)

I'm not a fan of musicals. I did like Chicago.

I'm going to have to mention the other one I enjoy.

The Music Man? Ewwwww.

I LOVE Wicked!

[*]Evita - the only really good musical ALW ever penned
[*]West Side Story - hello! How did that slip your mind?
[/LIST]

No Phantom?

I should've put West Side Story in there. Gah!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Oklahoma.

You know... until I read thru this thread, I had not realized how many musicals I've seen, and how many of them I enjoyed and still like.

So why do I have this sudden urge to quickly run out and shoot something furry, barbeque it, and drink large amounts of cheap beer while boasting of (hetero)sexual exploits? :mrgreen:

Okay, seriously... I loved Wizard of Oz, West Side Story and Oliver when I was younger; The Music Man was tolerable. I saw Cats on video and didn't care for it much. A female friend of mine was involved in a production of the Pirates of Penzance, which I thought was a cute musical (might have had something to do with me thinking she was cute...well...). Fiddler was okay. Phantom was okay, I wasn't as wild about it as a lot of people. If you want to consider Streets of Fire a musical of sorts, I loved that movie and still love it (kudos Shayah for mentioning it and reminding me). Sweeny Todd was good, yes.

There was some really weird Italian musical, sort of a modern-interpretive-artsy version of opera, that I saw one time and found kind of fascinating, but I can't for the life of me come up with the name of it.

I forgot about The Who.

I can't believe we forgot this one:

" A rustic group of people who one day looked civilization in the eye...and spit."

My wife says Wicked kicks ass.

She also mentioned Guys & Dolls.

As a heterosexual male, I have to disqualify myself from this poll.

No Phantom?

I should've put West Side Story in there. Gah!

No, Phantom was ghastly. If you want a point of reference for Gothic horror in musical theatre, you can go no further than Sweeney Todd, just about the only musical horror to achieve scariness.

Back
Top Bottom