• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is the best musical of all time?

What is the best musical of all time?

• CATS

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Rent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Les Miserables

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Phantom of the Opera

• Wicked

• Fiddler on the Roof

• Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chicago

• Cabaret

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters
Never seen Wicked, but tried to read the book it was based on and absolutely hated it. Wizard of Oz + sex = bad.

I really hated the book too. The musical is slightly different. MUCH better than the book.

I can't pick a favorite, either!

1) Sweeney Todd (both versions)
2) Grease
3) Phantom of the Opera
4) Fiddler on the Roof
5) Rocky Horror Picture Show

No, Phantom was ghastly. If you want a point of reference for Gothic horror in musical theatre, you can go no further than Sweeney Todd, just about the only musical horror to achieve scariness.

Ahhh...I loved Phantom. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time...totaly entranced.

Out of those you listed I would have to say Rent is my favorite. Just something about the songs that always get stuck in my head. I also LOVED Chicago and Fiddler on the Roof. Wicked was OK. I would probably go see it again if the tickets were cheap enough. I also enjoyed Blood Brothers too.

trick question

there has never been a good musical

Grease is the best film musical of alltime much better than the bubblegum crap of something like high school musical.

The Blues Brothers.

Jesus Christ Superstar-especially the original version with Ian Gillian in the lead.

Good topic and thanks to Mellie for it.

I have ben a fan of musicals on stage for decades now and have seen many in New York and elsewhere. There are several things to evaluate - first and foremost being the music, staging set design, acting and the rest.

I would say that my top four would be

WEST SIDE STORY
CAMELOT
PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
WICKED

Over the last eight years we go every season up to Stratford Ontario where they do at least two major musicals each year. We saw WEST SIDE STORY two seasons ago and it was better than the versions I saw on Broadway. Loved it so much we went back in the fall and got front row seats and had actors sweat on us.

Just saw CAMELOT there and it was excellent although the one they did with Richard Harris reprising his film role was special since he basically recreated all his film scenes and watching hold out that sword saying "run boy run - " at the end was breathtaking.
Saw PHANTOM in NY with Michael Crawford and it was tons better than seeing it on the road with lesser actors. Not even the same experience.

While in Stratford last week the word was that JC SUPERSTAR might be the play of the year there and several people whose opinion I trust said it was the best thing they ever saw there in over a decade. We will go back in the fall to see it.

Mellia - my favorite song from WICKED is "I'm not that Girl". Both versions. Its the highlight of the show for me.

Last edited:
I can't believe we forgot this one:

" A rustic group of people who one day looked civilization in the eye...and spit."

Gotta confess THIS was the first musical that came to mind when i saw the thread title. Although after reading through all the other great titles listed here, am not sure PYW still wins my vote..... it was still an excellent movie.

I chose Wicked. I have seen it twice and would go to see it again tomorrow. I confess that it is not so much the music as I know of musicals that have better music, but the set design just blows me away. My favorite song is "Defying Gravity."

The film was nominated for nine Academy Awards and won five.
Wins
Best Actor - Yul Brynner
Best Art Direction - John DeCuir, Lyle R. Wheeler, Walter M. Scott, Paul S. Fox
Best Costume Design, Color - Irene Sharaff
Best Music, Scoring of a Musical Picture - Alfred Newman and Ken Darby
Sound Recording - Carlton W. Faulkner

Golden Globe Awards
Wins
Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Best Actress - Deborah Kerr

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King_and_I_(1956_film)

Last edited:
Jesus Christ Superstar, while terrific, is more of an opera. Everything is sung so it is a rock opera.

I couldn't pick one but here are some of those that I like the best.

Cats - the first time I saw it, I was bored but I learned to love it, especially the music.
The Music Man
Hairspray
Mamma Mia
South Pacific - so ground breaking
Spamalot

Back
Top Bottom