• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What is the 5th column?

jallman said:
I love north carolina. I think Chapel Hill is one of the most beautiful cities in the country. I love the candor people have...the heat of the summers...the smell of honeysuckle...even the balmy humidity. I miss north carolina dearly and I will be returning once I have given the time to my company I promised to give. I have about three years to go, but rest assured, I will be back in Raleigh within a week of my fifth anniversary with my company.

See, I tried to explain to the guys in my old unit (I served 4 years in the 82nd ABN DIV, which is based out of Ft. Bragg, NC) that North Carolina is actually a nice state, they just see the Military area and think its crap.
I was born and raised in North Carolina, im living in Fayetteville right now waiting for my wife to get out of the Air Force, then im going to live in Charlotte and work as a Police Officer there.

SKILMATIC said:
Well thanks for the compliments and I did misunderstand that you fish for pleasure. I for some reason thought it was your job. Well amidst this heated debate I am in love with you now. I love computer guys(ok now im sounding gay:lol: ). No but in all actuality I can use all the computer guys I can get. So do you troubleshoot networking problems? I have a question regarding that.

And NIEHS isnt that a tree hugger institution? So you are a lab guy huh? Do you work with CADD at all? What exactly do you do in the area of carcenogenics? I am a bit intrigued. You have just sparked an interest. ;)

Well making the association between Alaskan and Fisherman is not an unfounded leap. But no, I am a computer geek. I can trouble shoot networks to some extent. My experience in the field is wide ranged, because you kind of have to be versatile here in ak. My company hired me not because I was master of any discipline in the field, but because I had my hands in so many different places. Also, I tend to research answers very well. Shoot me your question via PM and we'll see what we can do about it.

And no, NIEHS is not a tree hugger institute. It is a division of the National Institutes of Health. It is the National Institute of Environmental Health Science. Its been 4 years since I worked there, but when I was there I had the privilege of working under Dr. Minoru Koi, Dr. Yoh Watanabe, and Dr. Anton Jetten. They were key in discovering the MMR1 and MMR2 genes, the mismatch repair genes. The absence of one of these genes exponentially increases a womans chances of having breast cancer and at the time I left, it was being researched how they related to colon cancer. My job was to take a eukaryote cell (normally coli bacterium strain) and splice the gene into it. Basically, I broke down the cell with various reagents and centrifuged the residue, separating the nuclear material from the rest. Then I introduced proteins that targeted specific nucleotides, leaving a gap in the dna strand, and introduced the specific mmr1 or mmr2 gene into the mix, PCR'ed it and BAM...new DNA with the gene...reintroduce the genetic material into the nucleus of the eukaryotic cell that has been strengthened against a specific antibiotic (so that you can separate that eukaryote from any other that grows in a culture through introduction of the antibiotic into the culture).

Anyway, thats the really watered down version. Sorry to go on so long with the explanation...but I dont know how to tone it down anymore. No genius here, most of it was simple procedure that was repeated over and over again. What I am most proud of is that because I was the only English speaking member of the team, I wrote most of the findings and so, got published along with the PhD's. It has been a tremendous career booster.

Caine said:
See, I tried to explain to the guys in my old unit (I served 4 years in the 82nd ABN DIV, which is based out of Ft. Bragg, NC) that North Carolina is actually a nice state, they just see the Military area and think its crap.
I was born and raised in North Carolina, im living in Fayetteville right now waiting for my wife to get out of the Air Force, then im going to live in Charlotte and work as a Police Officer there.

Charlotte is a beautiful city...have you ever seen the pink cathedral? However, I am very partial to the triangle area. By triangle, you kind of have to include everything from hillsborough to garner last time I was there...and of course, cary is now just a part of raleigh. Dont get me wrong, I love alaska and think it is very beautiful...but nothing could be finer than to be in carolina...:lol:

jallman said:
Charlotte is a beautiful city...have you ever seen the pink cathedral? However, I am very partial to the triangle area. By triangle, you kind of have to include everything from hillsborough to garner last time I was there...and of course, cary is now just a part of raleigh. Dont get me wrong, I love alaska and think it is very beautiful...but nothing could be finer than to be in carolina...:lol:

No, Ive never seen the pink cathedral actually.
I haven't really seen much of Charlotte, I was down there for my Police interview and kept getting lost.
Also, my only other trips to Charlotte besides the interview have been Nascar Races and a state bowling tournament when I was in my teens.

jallman said:
...have you ever seen the pink cathedral?

Was it pink before you got there?:rofl

shhhh....NN might be lurking.....

cnredd said:
Was it pink before you got there?:rofl

shhhh....NN might be lurking.....

okay okay that was a good one, and I wont rat you out toNURSE NURSE Red's getting out of hand again!!!!

alright alright...I'll be quiet about it now

:lol:

cnredd said:
Who's "Red"?

okay, okay, its redd, sorry I dropped the last d, but it does still sound the same to Nurse, Nurse!!!

:rofl

jallman said:
okay, okay, its redd, sorry I dropped the last d, but it does still sound the same to Nurse, Nurse!!!

:rofl
If "Hotlips" shows up before "Naughty", then you did a good job...:2wave:

cnredd said:
If "Hotlips" shows up before "Naughty", then you did a good job...:2wave:

How did we get from NIEHS to hotlips?

A fifth column is a group of people which clandestinely undermines a larger group to which it is expected to be loyal, such as a nation. The term originated with a 1936 radio address by Emilio Mola, a Nationalist general during the 1936-39 Spanish Civil War. As four of his army columns moved on Madrid, the general referred to his militant supporters within the capital as his "fifth column," intent on undermining the Republican government from within.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_column)

Back
Top Bottom